Perseids

  • w5uwb2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 4, 2006
      My "Dance Card" is open for schedules 12/13 August on 2 and/or 222.

      Please reply direct for skeds. Would really like to try some long 222 Q's (1200-1400mi )

      73 - John W5UWB  EL17ax
    • w5uwb2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 13 7:03 AM
        "Dance Card" started. Looking for skeds 13 August (UTC) 2 and 222 1200 = miles. Reply irect pse W5UWb2@...

        73 - John EL17ax

        Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL.com.
      • wa1vta01452
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
          Anyone happen to know when this shower starts? I know most showers
          last more than one day although the increased daily counts drop faster
          than they start. Not much luck with Google....

          Tom
        • MMMonVHF
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
            wa1vta01452 schrieb:
            > Anyone happen to know when this shower starts? I know most showers
            > last more than one day although the increased daily counts drop faster
            > than they start. Not much luck with Google....
            >
            > Tom

            Hi Tom,

            Perseids start in end JULY and have a maximum
            on 12 and 13 august - have a look at:
            http://www.mmmonvhf.de/ms.php (mid of the page)

            Have good results on the shower
            kind regards, sincerely

            73 de D L 8 E B W Guido (Guy)
            qrv from JO31NF for VHF-DX: MS & EME
            RIG: IC275H 2*12elM2 750W ATF-Preamp

            A Team-Member of MMMonVHF DX Portal
            look: http://www.MMMonVHF.de/
            Email: dl8ebw@...
          • w5uwb2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007
              "Dance Card" still open for skeds 13 August (UTC).

              Looking for 144/222 1200+ miles.

              Reply direct please.

              73 - John W5UWB  EL17ax

            • James C. Hall, MD
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 5, 2007

                Hi John:

                I’ve never done it before but I’m willing to try. FSK441 on 2M (freq ?) using WSJT. Hardware will be my satellite array – FT-847 delivering 50 watts to M2 circularly polarized yagi – elevation ? , azimuth ? I’m in EM56jl, NW TN.

                If this setup isn’t going to do it, then just let me know.

                73, Jamie

                WB4YDL

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                  Hi,

                  This will be my first shower and was wondering if someone could
                  explain what to expect. I know the max will be 8/12-13. Before then,
                  will we see gradually improving conditions? During the max, are there
                  any special operating procedures or events?

                  73,
                  Bill NZ5N
                • mattpatt@1starnet.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                    Bill,

                    I just get on pingjockey.net and coordinate with people from there.

                    Matt

                    Quoting "billdz.geo" <billdz.geo@...>:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > This will be my first shower and was wondering if someone could
                    > explain what to expect. I know the max will be 8/12-13. Before then,
                    > will we see gradually improving conditions? During the max, are there
                    > any special operating procedures or events?
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Bill NZ5N

                  • Chris Cox, N0UK
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 7, 2007
                      In my experience, Bill, focussing on these these major showers (Perseids,
                      Leonids, etc) is somewhat folly when using high speed meteor scatter
                      techniques, whether that's FSK441, high speed CW, or whatever else. They
                      are more beneficial for traditional slow speed MS usage (rapid-break SSB
                      and handsent CW). The burns tend to be notably longer, lasting several to
                      tens of seconds where you can often make several separate complete
                      contacts in each burn and the 30 or 60 second sequences used in high speed
                      techniques then actually tend to hinder rather than help.

                      Having said that, they can be useful for making possible the really long
                      haul MS contacts (at or beyond 1400 miles or so) or when trying to
                      complete contacts on frequency bands above two metres.

                      The above holds true IMHO at least during the peak of the shower.

                      I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but high speed MS techniques such
                      as FSK441 and HSCW are most effective during the other 350+ days of the
                      year when there aren't any major showers in effect. You really can work
                      REAL DX on 144MHz via meteor scatter every day of the year. Admittedly
                      the Winter doldrums from January to early April can be challenging, but
                      still doable with even a modest VHF station.

                      --
                      73 Chris Cox, N0UK email: chrisc@... or chrisc@...
                      or chris@...

                      Don't Believe Everything You Think.
                    • w5uwb2@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 5, 2008
                        Dance card still has open slots for 2 meters and 222 (preferred) on 12 August.

                        If interested drop a note and I will check schedule vs best time for a given path.

                        2: 21 el and 1500w

                        222: 17el and 1500w

                        modes: wsjt441 (preferred), SSB and CW

                        73 - John W5UWb  EL17ax

                      • w5uwb2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 8, 2009
                          Looking for anyone to try 222 for the Perseids.

                          State/grid of no concern. Lets keep DX to 1400mi or less.

                          Here: 17el at 54' and 1500w

                          73 - John W5UWB  EL17ax