Re: [wsjtgroup] Estimate of Probability of Double Hop MS

  • Paul Whatton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2006
      Sorry you were stuck in the car Chris. I was scheduled to go out but I
      took at look at LiveMUF, decided things were brewing and so changed my
      mind. Good decision :-)

      Getting back on topic about double hop MS.

      I believe the 144MHz IARU Region 1 meteor scatter distance record and
      world record of 3101km is for a QSO between GW4CQT (IO81LP) and UW6MA
      (KN97VE) on 12 August 1977. There have been several FSK441 over the
      horizon QSOs made including the contact between Tim G4LOH and RW3PF in
      2003 at 2605km.

      http://www.ham.se/vhf/dxrecord/dxrec.htm

      Are any of these double hop? I guess it shouldn't be ruled out but in my
      mind single-hop tropo assisted would seem to be a more probable explanation.

      So Chris, when are you going to have another go at the Brendan Trophy?
      :-) My money would be on Tim G4LOH making it. He has a permanent QTH in
      the right place, a great station, is very experienced and can be in the
      shack most days.

      BTW looking at Hepburn a trans-Atlantic tropo QSO between Africa and
      Cuba might be on the cards today! http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_nat.html

      73 Paul G4DCV