Fwd: Re: [wsjtgroup] Double Hop MS???

  • Chris Bartram
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2006
      Don't get me on this!

      > Has anybody ever heard double hop meteor scatter?? Is it feasible??

      I'm convinced there is an MS-related propagation mechanism which has about
      the same range as could be expected from 'double-hop' ms.

      Back in 1979 and 1980 a group of us - all experienced MS operators - operated
      during the Perseids from excellent coastal sites in the SW of England in a
      serious attempt to cross the Atlantic via MS. We ran with a VE1 in NB at just
      over 4000km. Signals were heard in both directions during mammoth 6hr HSCW
      skeds, but no formal QSO took place. I checked the with some of the people
      who were involved a couple of years ago, and their memories are as clear as
      mine. I think the tests were reported in the Nov 1979 and Nov 1980 '4 - 2 -
      70 column of the RSGB magazine, 'Radcom'.

      Two years ago, again in the Perseids, I set-up an experiment to see if I
      could hear the video carrier of CJN in St.Johns Nfld, on 80something MHz. I
      was able to detect a few bursts (which I identified by the presence of 60Hz
      sidebands - European stations would have 50Hz sidebands) despite having a
      0.5degree positive horizon when looking towards Canada.

      Conventional theory says that double-hop MS is VERY unlikely. This seems to
      have put people off trying. I'm not so sure that what I've heard has been
      simple double-hop MS, but I'm also quite sure there is something there. If I
      were to have the time and energy to try again, I'd choose very good sites, to
      get the transmitted energy as close to the horizon as possible. I'd also
      probably start by testing on 6 or even 10m, to maximise burst lengths, and
      then move up to 2m if I got results on the lower frequencies.

      Vy 73

      Chris
      GW4DGU