Rotators & Poll

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2002
      Nice to see a poll on the group page. I have found mid-day, say
      between 9AM - 2PM , to be productive here for meteor scatter but only
      a few operators on that time of day. Here lately, most of February,
      the rocks have been few and far between. I can hear the Kansas N0LL
      beacon a distance of 736 miles most of the time. It does seem
      distances over 1000 miles harder after morning hours but distances
      less than that easily worked.

      Now for the rotator. My indicator went on the blink a few months ago.
      After pricing a new Hygain and picking myself off the floor, I
      thought it was time to do a little 'in-house' repair. I already had
      one in the attic, that had indicator problems. So I opened it up and
      saw to my surprise, the large pot that the bell of the rotator turns.
      (talk about the weak link!) So I went to
      http://www.hy-gain.com/hy-gain/index.php and ordered a new pot on-line
      for $47. Took the old unit down, installed the new pot and tested the
      unit out on the bench. Hygain now has a 8-pin plug /pig-tail on the
      rotator making it easy to test with the control box. (No more terminal
      strips with rusted screws) The unit now functions like new. While it
      was down, I had also ordered some "Hygain Lubricant" and applied some
      to the two bearing ring bands. The moral to this story, indicator
      problems can be fixed easily with a new pot and soldering gun. After
      about 5 years it needed the lubricant. (It had gotten quite loud, now
      just hums while it swings the six and two meter beams)
      Randy Tipton (Tip)
      WA5UFH EL19pa

      My Web Page
      http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/
      WSJT Group
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wsjtgroup/?yguid=6309253

      Scriptures I would like to share with you:
      Heb 5:9; Acts 2:38; Rom 16:16: Eph 4: 1 - 7; John 17:20 - 23