NEW WINTER RALLY RULES MULTI BAND VS. SINGLE BAND OPERATORS

  • LARRY
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27 6:26 AM
      Im sorry fellows but I have to totally disagree that placing single
      band operators up against multi band operators is leveling the playing
      field. A multi band operator can qsy contacts to other bands for
      addition points, plus many multi band staions have more than 1 radio
      and can work 1,2, or 3 bands at one time. I have no problem with extra
      points for the bands above 50 MHZ.

      If you look at Winter Rally results the high scorer had abt 1600
      points more than I did. Now under these new rules my score remains the
      same but the high scorer points would be increased by 2 points X 35 X
      his muliplier. I ask the Rally Group to study the numbers of last
      years Winter Rally under these new rules and look at the figures. Im
      afraid these new rules will affect the single band operator who has a
      small station and a small budget.

      The Spring Rally had poor participation and many of the big guns didnt
      work the Rally. Yes, I had the top score, but I worked hard for those
      contacts. Running a 3 ele beam up 25 ft and 250 watts I sure dont
      consider myself a Super Station.

      Under these new rules the little guys have no incentive to work the
      Rally and I predict less participation.

      73's Larry WB9F
    • Mike H
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27 3:22 PM
        Larry - a large motivation for the new rules is to address a growing
        concern that the rallys are becoming essentially 6-meter events. The
        committee wants to encourage activity on all the VHF bands.

        I disagree that the big guns have a decisive advantage in the rallys.
        You and others have proven that dedication and operator skill -- not
        mega-stations -- are the keys to getting high scores in meteor scatter
        contests.

        Your participaption is important and I hope we see you again in the
        December rally.

        Mike WB2FKO