QST : "2006 Winter Rally"

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006
      The rules for the annual Winter Rally are now posted on the NAHSMS webpage.
      The rules can be found at: http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NewRules.htm

      As you know the WSJTGROUP sponsors two contests annually. The participation
      in the Spring Rally was down from past events. This causes concern for
      those who plan and execute these contests. The rules are being posted early
      so that you might have time to digest the changes.

      For the last contest, awards categories were changed. Many at the time were
      advocating a change in QSO points; we believe this is a good recommendation
      based on historical data indicating we had too many categories for the
      number of participants.

      Beginning with the Winter 2006 Rally the higher bands are awarded more
      points. This is because it is harder to make QSO's as the frequency goes up.
      Ionization density for radio reflection scales as the square root of the
      frequency. The point scheme chosen seems reasonable plus it promotes the use
      of all the meteor scatter bands.

      The number of categories has been reduced to reflect the expected
      participation level. Stations may choose to submit as assisted, unassisted
      or Rover. (Rovers may submit two logs) This addresses the problem of a
      category only having one or two submitted scores. This change will make the
      events more competitive and fun.

      A station's performance during the NAHSMS Rallies is almost entirely about
      dedication and putting in the time. The High Power / Low Power categories
      might again be used if the number of logs submitted increases, but at the
      present level of participation they are unnecessary.

      As in past events, John (N6ENU) will provide quality certificates. In
      addition certificates will be awarded for the top score in Mexico and
      Canada.

      The changes in the rules are absolutely necessary. We hope that you will
      read them and give them fair consideration.

      The Winter Rally is by far the favorite event for most stations; the
      announcement is early so let's be prepared to set some new records.

      Randy Tipton (WA5UFH)
      For the NAHSMS Contest Moderators