Field Day

  • Les Zavadil
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2006
      Tar River Amateur Radio Club in FM15cx will be QRV on 6M and maybe 2M for
      Random Hour periods during Field Day, using the call sign, K4B, with W4FRA
      as op. Hope to see you all. -- 73 -- Les, W4FRA
    • drwilx
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6

        Is anyone considering using JT65 or JT9 for field day? If so, is there some consensus on how a 4 exchange contact would look? By limiting the exchanges to 4 we could achieve up to 15 contacts per hour rather than the normal 10.

        Any chance on introducing a special set of macros just for field day? As I understand we are only required to exchange class and section. Class is 2 units and section is 2 or 3 units.

        So could it look like this:

        CQ FD W7DRW 1A AZ

        W7DRW WA7AAA 3A LAX

        WA7AAA W7DRW RRR

        W7DRW WA4AAA 73

        This would fulfill the ARRL requirements I believe.

        73

        Dennis

        W7DRW

      • Black Michael
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6
          You first two lines won't encode completely as they are end up being free text and limited to 13 chars

          You can use jt65code to test messages like this.

          You get:

           1. CD FD W7DRW 1A AZ      CD FD W7DRW 1          *  6:Free text   UNKNOWN

          And

           1. W7DRW WA7AAA 3A LAX    W7DRW WA7AAA           *  6:Free text   UNKNOWN

          You're going to have a problem with WA7AA giving you anything but a sig rpt on the 2nd message since that's what all JT software automatically produces.

          And the other problem is that with all the automation of logging software like JTAlert you won't even alert people who have worked you B4.

          You're most likely to get a good reply with something like this by adding a suffix -- though this is pretty non-standard with many people probably wondering what FD means.

          CQ W7DRW/FD
          Could do
          CQ W7DRW/1A

          With a 5 char callsign you could do

          CQ FD W7DRW/1A
          But you still have to get your state in the exchange too so getting it to just two exchanges is only going to work if your respondent agrees to a non-standard QSO exchange

          W7DRW WA7AAA/3A
          WA7AAA 1A AZ
          W7DRW 3A LAX

          If we can agree on an exchange that would work perhaps advertising on the different mailing lists might help.

          de Mike W9MDB

          Message 4 of 4 , May 6