RE: [wsjtgroup] Dual Sound Cards

  • Bob Hart
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
      Joe,

      Assuming you are running XP (any version), you certainly can use two sound
      cards (or more). If you are running ME or 98, it can be done but is much
      more tricky.

      What Creative is really saying is " we don't have the staff, nor is it
      profitable, to support advanced uses of our products due to the sometimes
      difficult configuration issues..".

      Most applications that use sound cards will give you the option of which
      card to use. For those that don't, they will use the card that you have
      specified as the default sound device (Control Panel/Sounds and Audio
      Devices/Audio).

      What creative says is true in that Windows can only run one mixer at a time,
      but you can select each sound card individually to set the "mix" for that
      particular card. Since you will only be using one card at a time, this
      isn't an issue.

      The only issue I see is I believe you said you have two of the same card.
      It might be confusing which one you are selecting/mix adjusting... But with
      some playing around and experience, you might notice that one card is always
      listed before the other.. Hopefully.
      If not, you may want to get a different card.. Perhaps a cheapo 16-bit
      which, and please community, correct me if I am wrong, is plenty of card for
      sound/radio applications. In fact I do believe most sound card applications
      say don't get fancy with expensive sound cards.

      Get into that box and try it out. Feel free to contact me offlist if you
      have further questions.

      Best of Luck and God Bless!

      bOb
      KØSAT

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
        Hi Bob,

        Thanks for the information and encouragement! I
        forgot to mention that I'm running WinXP, a Dell
        Dimension 9100 at 3 GHz, with 2GHz of
        memory. When I installed the second card, I used
        a different version driver in hopes that it would
        help the computer not get "confused". Not sure
        if that makes any difference in the world.

        I suspect that you're very correct about
        Creative's approach to supporting two sound
        cards. I'm aware that others have done it, and
        appreciate the guidance and suggestions of the group.

        Should using two of the same brand/model cards
        prove an issue, I'll back up and get a different
        manufacturer's card. For now, I'm off to play
        with the various programs to see if I can make it happen.

        Thanks again!

        73
        Joe
        WDØM