Dual Sound Cards

  • Joe - WD0M
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
      Is anyone having success using dual Creative Labs
      Live! 24 Bit sound cards? I'd like to run one
      card for ham radio, and the other for music/other sound applications.

      I may have made the mistake of purchasing a
      second card from Creative, who, in their response
      to my question about dual sound cards, said
      "....please note that we do not support two or
      more sound cards or integrated sound or external
      sound devices in one system simultaneously for
      the reason that they will probably not function
      together properly due to conflicts, if at
      all. Windows cannot support more than one audio
      mixer simultaneously. The sound card was not
      designed for this function. Therefore, we can not
      provide support for two or more sound cards in the same system."

      Any tips/suggestions would be warmly welcomed!

      73,
      Joe
      WDØM
    • Bob Hart
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
        Joe,

        Assuming you are running XP (any version), you certainly can use two sound
        cards (or more). If you are running ME or 98, it can be done but is much
        more tricky.

        What Creative is really saying is " we don't have the staff, nor is it
        profitable, to support advanced uses of our products due to the sometimes
        difficult configuration issues..".

        Most applications that use sound cards will give you the option of which
        card to use. For those that don't, they will use the card that you have
        specified as the default sound device (Control Panel/Sounds and Audio
        Devices/Audio).

        What creative says is true in that Windows can only run one mixer at a time,
        but you can select each sound card individually to set the "mix" for that
        particular card. Since you will only be using one card at a time, this
        isn't an issue.

        The only issue I see is I believe you said you have two of the same card.
        It might be confusing which one you are selecting/mix adjusting... But with
        some playing around and experience, you might notice that one card is always
        listed before the other.. Hopefully.
        If not, you may want to get a different card.. Perhaps a cheapo 16-bit
        which, and please community, correct me if I am wrong, is plenty of card for
        sound/radio applications. In fact I do believe most sound card applications
        say don't get fancy with expensive sound cards.

        Get into that box and try it out. Feel free to contact me offlist if you
        have further questions.

        Best of Luck and God Bless!

        bOb
        KØSAT

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Joe - WD0M
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2006
          Hi Bob,

          Thanks for the information and encouragement! I
          forgot to mention that I'm running WinXP, a Dell
          Dimension 9100 at 3 GHz, with 2GHz of
          memory. When I installed the second card, I used
          a different version driver in hopes that it would
          help the computer not get "confused". Not sure
          if that makes any difference in the world.

          I suspect that you're very correct about
          Creative's approach to supporting two sound
          cards. I'm aware that others have done it, and
          appreciate the guidance and suggestions of the group.

          Should using two of the same brand/model cards
          prove an issue, I'll back up and get a different
          manufacturer's card. For now, I'm off to play
          with the various programs to see if I can make it happen.

          Thanks again!

          73
          Joe
          WDØM