Re: What does Hot A and Hot B Mean?

  • jchutch02492 <KB1CJ@ARRL.net>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2003
      For a brief discussion of why hot spots are "hot" and other topical
      papers on HSMS, take a look at:
      http://www.qsl.net/w8wn/hscw/papers.html

      73, Joe, KB1CJ
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 23, 2003

        The difference between Direct Pointing and Hot Spots is only a few degrees and in my opinion will not make or break a contact. The accuracy of pointing the antenna for me is limited by the following items:  5 degs increments that are hard to see and even harder to set the needle exactly on a single degree increment, rotator play (slop in the gears and inherent movement), accuracy to which I calibrated the rotator indicator being yet another variable and then my ability to read the very small scale on the rotator all have to be taken into consideration. So after striving to be as accurate as I can there is a strong probably I will be off a few degrees anyway thus if exact point were required I probably wouldn’t make too may contacts.

        I listened to the Six Meter N0LL beacon for five minute periods letting WSJT count the decoded R26’s in the “Decoded.cum File” using seven different antenna directions. Here is what I was decode using Degs / R26’s with DF -20

        45/8

        30/85

        15/38

        0/38

        345/32

        330/92

        315/30

        When I run this little test, I set the Parameters accordingly W = 20 S = 2 ST = -5 DF -150

        Now according to WSJT the N0LL beacon is 719 Miles, Az 352 Degs; RED Hot A 342 and Hot B 2. It also recommends an elevation of 6 degs.

        So you can see that the distribution of pings was over a range of 90 Degs. (This is real data) For that particular test frame 330 Degs had the most pings with 92 for 5 minutes. I have ran this test many times and the distribution is always different but it always indicates that antenna pointing for this beacon / distance combination is not critical. It is also interesting to look at the signal dB strength, the stronger pings are not always in the Hot or Direct directions!

        I do believe that the distance for the above data test is the optimum distance for meteor scatter on six meters.  I believe that greater distances of say 1000 miles will narrow the range of decoded pings perhaps 10 to 20 degrees and with distances over 1200 miles resulting in an even smaller window for receiving pings.

        I have been unable to do any testing using two meter beacons because of reception problems. N0LL has a two meter beacon but I never hear it and have been told it is not stable enough to use for such a test. My personal feeling is that two meters requires much more diligence when aiming antennas for meteor scatter qso’s.

        My antenna by the way is a M2 Seven Element beam at 52 ft.

        Tip (home alone today if you couldn’t tell)

        WA5UFH