570D Question

  • LARRY
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2006
      CAN ANYONE HELP DANNY WITH HIS QUESTIONS THAT HE SENT TO ME:

      Hi Larry,
      I have been chasing my tail trying to decide what is going on
      here and I have come to the conclusion that the headphone audio out
      of
      the TS-570S is de-emphasized, that is the high frequency audio is
      rolled
      off. Looking at the audio pass band on WSJT, the peak is about 500 Hz
      and drops to nothing by 2500 Hz. I have an Icom 746 I tried and the
      headphone audio is flat from 500 to 2300 and rolls off above 2600. I
      wonder how much that had to do with my not hearing as well as I
      think I
      should? The 570 does have a RX equalizer function of sorts and it
      does
      include a HP mode but it only seemed to help marginally. I hope to
      figure out how to fix it by tomorrow night. Maybe the trick is to try
      speaker audio instead of headphone audio or even the data plug on the
      back of the chassis.
      If you have any thoughts or suggestions, I would appreciate you
      insight.

      Danny NG9R
      dpease@...
    • Russ K2TXB
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2006
        Danny, I'd suggest a thorough realignment of the TS-570. The problem you
        speak of is likely caused by an oscillator that has drifted in frequency
        enough to put the desired signal to one side of the sideband filter. This
        will affect transmit as well as receive, so that your transmitted voice
        signal will sound bassy or mushy, and the WSJT high tones will be rolled off
        resulting in poor detection by receiving stations.

        Another possibility is that some component value in your audio output stage
        has drastically changed. Studying the schematic should reveal likely
        suspects.

        You will need the service manual for the radio, and some test equipment - at
        least a frequency counter and a volt meter to properly align the oscillators
        and filters. If you are not experienced in using this equipment then I'd
        suggest enlisting the help of someone who is.

        Hope this helps,

        73 - Russ K2TXB