Phanton JT65B EME callsigns

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2006
      Here is another one shown on my screen, just now!

      183201 1 -26 4.0 -323 21 * CQ KA9MGR EN41 ?

      Philip G0ISW
    • Paul Whatton
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2006
        Hi Philip

        WSJT is making an "intelligent" guess at the callsign of the DX station
        it thinks you are listening for. The giveaway is the question mark. The
        analogy is when you are looking for a very weak station on say a CW
        sked. You hear a weak carrier in there but don't copy the callsign
        properly but it might be your sked partner.

        In the case below there will have been some sort of very low level
        signal on the frequency. WSJT's best guess was that it was a CQ call by
        KA9MGR but the software isn't sure so it has put a ? after the decode.

        So you have to interpret WSJT decodes and not just take them for
        granted. Is the frequency correct? Is the DT correct, in other words
        somewhere around 2.5 for the EME delay. Does it all make sense? Only
        then would anyone accept a decode with a ? Many of us prefer to ignore
        these to the same extent that we'd ignore a weak carrier that we
        couldn't read properly. It might be something or more probably it might
        not.

        For your first EME listening I'd strongly suggest going for some big
        signals. There are many stations who are so strong that their signals
        are easily visible in the SpecJT waterfall if the frequency is clear.
        And once the signal strength gets up to about -20 you'll hear their
        tones in the speaker. For starters keep a special lookout for:

        W5UN 144.129
        KB8RQ 144.127
        RN6BN
        K5GW
        IK3MAC

        With apologies to any big guns who I've missed out unintentionally!
        These stations consistently put out exceptional signals on 2m EME. At
        times they are all clearly audible in the loudspeaker even with a small
        yagi. Having said that there will be days when conditions are not good
        and even these giants won't be easy to decode with a small antenna. Then
        at other times they will be so loud you'll find it difficult to believe
        that it is EME (it is!) As you get more expereinced you'll be able to
        work weaker stations with smaller antennas. With my simple single 9
        element Tonna I now don't find it too difficult to work 4 yagi stations
        and can regularly hear several 2 yagi stations.

        I've managed to work 24 stations so far, and there are quite a few more
        heard but not worked (yet).
        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.whatton/eme.htm

        Keep at it. Once you crack it and start making your first QSOs it is a
        wonderful sense of achievement.

        73 Paul G4DCV