computer help request

  • Dan K9ZF
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
      I'm having some trouble with my laptop, which is my primary WSJT and
      logging machine.

      I'm using an old IBM Thinkpad 560x. It's a Pentium 233 mmx, with 64 mb
      ram, running Win98 lite.

      Here is the trouble. I noticed the other day that I had lost my network
      connection. I have a wireless router at home, and use a Xircom pcmcia
      wireless adapter with the Thinkpad. I opened control panel and it shows
      both pcmcia slots as empty. There was no lights showing on the card
      either... I tried a couple of reboots, but there was no change. So I
      figured that my network card had died. I tried another Xircom network
      card, but it didn't work either. I also tried switching between the two
      ports, no help there either. I also tried uninstalling the pcmcia ports
      and reboot, letting plug 'n' play reinstall the ports. No change.

      Am I missing anything? Have the pcmcia ports died on my old machine?
      Is this a common failure?

      I guess it's time to replace the old laptop, it's just bad timing. And
      the old 560x still does just about everything I need for a portable
      machine. But I really need my network connection as it's the only good
      way I have of transferring data on and off the machine, aside from a
      floppy drive...

      Any comments appreciated!
      73
      Dan

      --
      K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
      Check out the Rover Resource Page at: <http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi people.

        My PC seems to hesitate when coming up to TX when using JT65, and I can't
        figure out why...

        Using WSJT 4.9.8 and with very little in the way of other programmes running
        (no anti-virus, no firewall or other such programmes) With the PC clock set
        right, if I watch the time on the WSJT programme, the seconds tick by, 57,
        58, (small pause) 59 moves quickly to 00, then a long pause and the clock
        jumps to 03 seconds. In this 3 seconds, the TX turns on between 1 and 2
        seconds, tones can be heard at 3 seconds.

        I can't be 100% sure, but I think this delay is upsetting the time of the
        tones as when it comes to the end of the TX period, some time there's a long
        single tone, some times it's chopped prior to this single tone being sent.

        I've set the priority of WSJT to 'high' but it didn't make any difference.

        The machine is a new build, windows XP home, with all the updates, the
        hardware is a P4 - 3ghz with 1.5gb of ram. The processor has hyper
        threading, and I've tried turning it off (as it is right now) or, running
        with it on... but there's no difference.

        Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem may be??

        Thanks in advance.

        Andy
        http://gd0tep.com
      • Russ K2TXB
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          Andy, I don't have any real good answers for you but a few comments. First,
          I would leave the hyper threading on. I don't see how it can hurt, and it
          could help when you start running more applications at the same time. I
          have seen the same problems, but they were with slow computers. I have seen
          that most new computers are loaded up with all kinds of 'gee whiz' gadgets,
          programs that are not generally desired by me. Some of these programs load
          background tasks that use up a lot of processor time. What is needed is to
          go through the task list, find out what every loaded process is for, and
          figure out whether you need it or not. That is not easy, and you will have
          to do Google searches on the process names to find out who they came from
          and what they do.

          A lot of these processes are started when your computer boots and others are
          started when you start Internet Explorer. A good program to view and remove
          these processes from being auto-started is called "HijackThis.exe". You can
          download it free from their site. But be careful to not eliminate things
          that are required. HihackThis does make a log, and I think it can undo what
          you have removed, if you tell it to save the information. But I have never
          used that feature so I cannot say how well it works. However I have fixed
          many a slow computer using it.

          Another thing to think about is your clock. How is it getting updated? If
          you are using a program like Dimension 4, how often do you have it set to
          update? Is it possible that it is updating at the start of each minute? If
          so, maybe the clock update is interfering with proper WSJT reading of the
          system clock at that moment. I have not actually confirmed that this can
          happen, but it is something to look at.

          73 & GL, Russ K2TXB

        • Andy GD0TEP
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
            Hi Russ & group.

            OK, here's more information regarding this TX hesitation problem.

            The PC was built by me purely for WSJT, and no other reason. Windows XP home
            was used for the operating system, and, although it was connected to the
            internet for all the usual software updates, it doesn't reside on any
            network. The only other software running on the PC is WSJT.

            Time keeping is a manual thing, i.e. I check the time and set it as best as
            I can, there's no auto update checked on the time settings.

            I can't figure out why this hesitation happens... So, in light of this
            problem, and a un-resolved problem (un-resolved by me!) between WSJT and my
            RigExpert, I have now tried (this afternoon) moving to version 5.9.3 of WSJT
            and, I first tried using a Sound Blaster Live card, but for some strange
            reason, I can't get the card to accept the incoming sound from the radio,
            outgoing is fine. So, I've pulled the S.B. and I've enabled the on board
            RealTek AC'97 sound card.

            My question this time is 'how good is the AC'97 sound card for JT65 on EME'
            ?? Anyone know the answer to that one? Any info appreciated.
            Thanks in advance.

            Andy
            http://gd0tep.com