WSJT under Linux

  • Harry Popov
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20 10:09 AM
      Hi All,

      Any one who succeeded to run wsjt under Linux?

      I did compile wsjt 5.9.2 r115. Program works fine while I try to decode
      old recorded files. I have problems while trying to use it on the air.
      Here are the problems on my side:

      1. If program is started but doing nothing, it is very unstable and
      stops working. Not the same if in monitor or auto mode. Freezes but
      after much longer time.

      2.Strange behavior in monitor or auto mode. While WSJT SPEC shows the
      noise and input bursts they never appear in the main program spectrum
      window while WSJT compiled with --enable-alsa. But first period appear
      in the main window after many periods while compiled with --enable-oss.

      3. While with alsa in/out ratio of my sound card is 4.0000 and it is
      2.0000 with oss . The same figures under Windows are 1.0000 / 1.0068 and
      they are the correct values for my sound card.

      4. Some periods it decodes while clicking over wslt.spec, some time does
      not. Unpredictable behavior.

      I am using IBM ThinkPad T600X notebook PIII 500Mhz 192RAM. My Linux
      distribution is Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary.

      Does any one know whether the developers ever connected the software to
      real radio or just played with records?

      If any one have more success than me please contact me personally. I
      would like to share experience with you.

      73, Harry Popov LZ1BB
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20 12:11 PM
        Hi Harry --

        I hope you will receive some input from others, but I will give you a
        few comments based on my own experience with WSJT running on Linux.

        I am taking the liberty of sending a copy of this email also to the WSJT
        developers email list, wsjt-devel@.... (This is a public
        list, anyone can subscribe; you don't need to be a WSJT developer
        yourself, but this is the best place to go with programming or
        performance questions on WSJT.)

        Harry Popov wrote:
        > Any one who succeeded to run wsjt under Linux?

        As far as I am aware, about 6-8 people have compiled and run WSJT for Linux.

        > I did compile wsjt 5.9.2 r115. Program works fine while I try to decode
        > old recorded files. I have problems while trying to use it on the air.
        > Here are the problems on my side:
        >
        > 1. If program is started but doing nothing, it is very unstable and
        > stops working. Not the same if in monitor or auto mode. Freezes but
        > after much longer time.

        I have seen no problems like this, and I do not think others on the
        wsjt-devel reflector have either. (If anyone has relevant experience,
        please speak up and copy Harry on your reply!)

        > 2.Strange behavior in monitor or auto mode. While WSJT SPEC shows the
        > noise and input bursts they never appear in the main program spectrum
        > window while WSJT compiled with --enable-alsa. But first period appear
        > in the main window after many periods while compiled with --enable-oss.

        Again, I have not seen anything like this behavior. On my Linux
        machine, WSJT looks and behaves just like the Windows version.

        > 3. While with alsa in/out ratio of my sound card is 4.0000 and it is
        > 2.0000 with oss . The same figures under Windows are 1.0000 / 1.0068 and
        > they are the correct values for my sound card.

        This is definitely not right. On my machine both numbers are 1.0000.

        > 4. Some periods it decodes while clicking over wslt.spec, some time does
        > not. Unpredictable behavior.

        I am not sure that I understand what you are saying. I see no anomalous
        behavior when using the mouse to force decodes, in any of the WSJT modes.

        > I am using IBM ThinkPad T600X notebook PIII 500Mhz 192RAM. My Linux
        > distribution is Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary.
        >
        > Does any one know whether the developers ever connected the software to
        > real radio or just played with records?

        I have left my WSJT/Linux running for more than a week, using the new
        "simulation" mode and exchanging JT65 messages with another computer
        running WSJT/Windows. This procedure exercises nearly all of the
        real-time capabilities and requirements of the program. I have seen no
        crashes or unpredictable behavior.

        > If any one have more success than me please contact me personally. I
        > would like to share experience with you.
        >
        > 73, Harry Popov LZ1BB

        Harry, the other developers and I will be very happy to share our
        experiences with you. I'm sure that we can help you solve the problems
        you have had. Maybe you could post a follow-up message to the
        wsjt-devel list, telling us what compiler versions, etc., you have used.