RE: [wsjtgroup] TVI RFI from 6m FSK

  • Charles AF4O
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 16 8:08 PM
      Hi Lee,

      Thanks. I dealt with the power company for almost 2 years trying to get
      the first and major round of power line rfi done. I never lost my cool
      with them and was always diplomatic.
      http://bellsouthpwp.net/a/f/af4o/rfi.html

      Even when they said they would do no more, I politely and calmly stated
      that I would have no choice but to turn it over to the FCC which I did.
      They now are cooperative and have been out several times since as power
      rfi crops up.

      I guess I am getting weary of all this and my stable diplomatic fight is
      growing weak. I have about come to the point just to not use 6 meters.
      But what is next?

      The phone conversations were brief and not enough time to get angry on
      my part. She was angry the entire time. And the threat on the first call
      made me decide I was not going to attempt to resolve this myself other
      than to shut down which the RH hour was over anyway.

      I do not fear her but it's not worth risking going to her territory. I
      feel I would have a 90 percent chance or better of resolving this with a
      cooperative person but I am not going to pay her DTV bill for local
      channels if all she is willing to do is use that gull wing.

      I have known her since I was a kid. I have been to her house when I was
      in the TV-Electronics business for 20 years. She works at Wal Mart. She
      is
      -not- going to pay for any resolution I can tell you.

      I guess my next move is to decide if it's worth operating 6 meters and
      risk the police knocking at my door and dealing with that. Although I am
      in the right will small town law understand?

      I do not give up on things worth fighting. I'm just trying to decide if
      6 is worth fighting.

      No you can bet I will not loose my cool. I'm in the right, no reason to.

      73
      Chuck
      AF4O

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 16 9:14 PM
        Chuck, it is definitely a problem with her equipment. But I guess you know
        that. One of the good things about FSK441 and JT65 operations is that I get
        a lot less TVI/RFI complaints than with CW or SSB. Part of it may be that
        the steady carrier does not sound like a ham, and so they don't know why the
        signal drops due to overload. But certainly it produces less 'noise' on
        stereos and other audio equipment. So her equipment must be very poor.

        I have had to deal with these problems over the years. When you live in an
        area like here, the neighbors all are quite affluent and mostly think that
        their stuff don't smell. So there is little that can be done in terms of
        reasoning with them. When cable came into this area it was a real help to
        me, except for one or two who had very poor equipment installations.

        When they would call, I would tell them that I am willing to work with them
        but usually they are not interested. If they threatened, I would usually
        tell them to call the FCC. The FCC will usually send them an information
        packet to tell them how to deal with getting it fixed. If they do not
        attempt to resolve the problem then the FCC does not appear to take any
        interest in the case. I have dealt with this stuff for 25 years at this
        location, and I have yet to receive any correspondence from FCC about it.

        I did determine that the interference here was only when I was beamed in the
        direction of a group of houses. So I try to not beam that way even though
        it is an important direction (NW), during prime TV viewing hours. But if it
        is a contest, or an opening, or a special station then I operate and let the
        chips fall.

        The threat to call the police is something you have to take seriously. This
        happened to a friend, and he was actually arrested. But when he showed the
        court the PRB-1 documents they dismissed the case. After that the local
        police were not interested in those kind of complaints. I would suggest
        taking a pro-active approach. Take your information packet down to the
        police station and show it to the police chief. Have a chat with him and
        tell him about this woman. It sounds like he has had to deal with her
        before, so he probably will be wanting to not deal with it. But explain
        that interference of this type is in the jurisdiction of the federal
        government and he will most likely inform the complainant that he can do
        nothing about it when she calls.

        These kind of problems can be very upsetting, and tend to get one's blood
        pressure up. You may decide that it is not worth the aggravation. But it
        is not fair that people like that can prevent you from enjoying your hobby -
        if you give in, that is.

        73, Russ K2TXB

      • Charles AF4O
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 17 11:04 AM
          Excellent suggestion Russ, Thanks. I somewhat know the Police Chief so
          that sounds like a good course of action.

          I also knew the Chief's father before he passed. He was retired and an
          active CB op. I went to his house one time and tried to convince him to
          study for his ham license to no avail but he was very nice.

          73
          Chuck
          AF4O

> [...]

          police were not interested in those kind of complaints. I would suggest
          taking a pro-active approach. Take your information packet down to the
          police station and show it to the police chief. Have a chat with him
          and
          tell him about this woman. It sounds like he has had to deal with her
          before, so he probably will be wanting to not deal with it. But explain
          that interference of this type is in the jurisdiction of the federal
          government and he will most likely inform the complainant that he can do
          nothing about it when she calls.

          These kind of problems can be very upsetting, and tend to get one's
          blood
          pressure up. You may decide that it is not worth the aggravation. But
          it
          is not fair that people like that can prevent you from enjoying your

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links