Re: [wsjtgroup] TVI RFI from 6m FSK

  • Lee Scott - AA1YN
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
      At 08:26 PM 2/16/2006 -0600, Charles AF4O wrote:

      >I am not sure of her tv equipment as she does not stay on the phone before
      >hanging up long enough to find out. I can see a DSS dish and what appears
      >to be a gull wing over the air tv antenna. Heaven forbid she is trying to
      >get the local channels on that gull wing with preamp at 20 from Memphis
      >which is about 60 miles away!
      >

      >You guys are some of the most knowledgeable hams I have been associated
      >with so any advice, opinions, etc will be appreciated.
      >

      >Thanks,
      >Chuck
      >AF4O

      Chuck,

      First bit of advice, be polite. Second bit of advice - be more polite but
      call your ARRL section manager and let him know the situation and ask for
      some technical intervention. Each section as a technical advisor just for
      this type of situation. They are knowledgeable about TVI and can help.

      Best of luck

      Lee - AA1YN

      Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
      Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
      Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com
      Hooksett, NH
      FN43gc52
    • Charles AF4O
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
        Hi Lee,

        Thanks. I dealt with the power company for almost 2 years trying to get
        the first and major round of power line rfi done. I never lost my cool
        with them and was always diplomatic.
        http://bellsouthpwp.net/a/f/af4o/rfi.html

        Even when they said they would do no more, I politely and calmly stated
        that I would have no choice but to turn it over to the FCC which I did.
        They now are cooperative and have been out several times since as power
        rfi crops up.

        I guess I am getting weary of all this and my stable diplomatic fight is
        growing weak. I have about come to the point just to not use 6 meters.
        But what is next?

        The phone conversations were brief and not enough time to get angry on
        my part. She was angry the entire time. And the threat on the first call
        made me decide I was not going to attempt to resolve this myself other
        than to shut down which the RH hour was over anyway.

        I do not fear her but it's not worth risking going to her territory. I
        feel I would have a 90 percent chance or better of resolving this with a
        cooperative person but I am not going to pay her DTV bill for local
        channels if all she is willing to do is use that gull wing.

        I have known her since I was a kid. I have been to her house when I was
        in the TV-Electronics business for 20 years. She works at Wal Mart. She
        is
        -not- going to pay for any resolution I can tell you.

        I guess my next move is to decide if it's worth operating 6 meters and
        risk the police knocking at my door and dealing with that. Although I am
        in the right will small town law understand?

        I do not give up on things worth fighting. I'm just trying to decide if
        6 is worth fighting.

        No you can bet I will not loose my cool. I'm in the right, no reason to.

        73
        Chuck
        AF4O

        At 08:26 PM 2/16/2006 -0600, Charles AF4O wrote:

        >I am not sure of her tv equipment as she does not stay on the phone
        before
        >hanging up long enough to find out. I can see a DSS dish and what
        appears
        >to be a gull wing over the air tv antenna. Heaven forbid she is trying
        >get the local channels on that gull wing with preamp at 20 from Memphis

        >which is about 60 miles away!
        >

        >You guys are some of the most knowledgeable hams I have been associated

        >with so any advice, opinions, etc will be appreciated.
        >

        >Thanks,
        >Chuck
        >AF4O

        Chuck,

        First bit of advice, be polite. Second bit of advice - be more polite
        but
        call your ARRL section manager and let him know the situation and ask
        for
        some technical intervention. Each section as a technical advisor just
        for
        this type of situation. They are knowledgeable about TVI and can help.

        Best of luck

        Lee - AA1YN

        Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
        Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
        Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com
        Hooksett, NH
        FN43gc52
      • Russ K2TXB
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
          Chuck, it is definitely a problem with her equipment. But I guess you know
          that. One of the good things about FSK441 and JT65 operations is that I get
          a lot less TVI/RFI complaints than with CW or SSB. Part of it may be that
          the steady carrier does not sound like a ham, and so they don't know why the
          signal drops due to overload. But certainly it produces less 'noise' on
          stereos and other audio equipment. So her equipment must be very poor.

          I have had to deal with these problems over the years. When you live in an
          area like here, the neighbors all are quite affluent and mostly think that
          their stuff don't smell. So there is little that can be done in terms of
          reasoning with them. When cable came into this area it was a real help to
          me, except for one or two who had very poor equipment installations.

          When they would call, I would tell them that I am willing to work with them
          but usually they are not interested. If they threatened, I would usually
          tell them to call the FCC. The FCC will usually send them an information
          packet to tell them how to deal with getting it fixed. If they do not
          attempt to resolve the problem then the FCC does not appear to take any
          interest in the case. I have dealt with this stuff for 25 years at this
          location, and I have yet to receive any correspondence from FCC about it.

          I did determine that the interference here was only when I was beamed in the
          direction of a group of houses. So I try to not beam that way even though
          it is an important direction (NW), during prime TV viewing hours. But if it
          is a contest, or an opening, or a special station then I operate and let the
          chips fall.

          The threat to call the police is something you have to take seriously. This
          happened to a friend, and he was actually arrested. But when he showed the
          court the PRB-1 documents they dismissed the case. After that the local
          police were not interested in those kind of complaints. I would suggest
          taking a pro-active approach. Take your information packet down to the
          police station and show it to the police chief. Have a chat with him and
          tell him about this woman. It sounds like he has had to deal with her
          before, so he probably will be wanting to not deal with it. But explain
          that interference of this type is in the jurisdiction of the federal
          government and he will most likely inform the complainant that he can do
          nothing about it when she calls.

          These kind of problems can be very upsetting, and tend to get one's blood
          pressure up. You may decide that it is not worth the aggravation. But it
          is not fair that people like that can prevent you from enjoying your hobby -
          if you give in, that is.

          73, Russ K2TXB

        • Charles AF4O
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 17, 2006
            Excellent suggestion Russ, Thanks. I somewhat know the Police Chief so
            that sounds like a good course of action.

            I also knew the Chief's father before he passed. He was retired and an
            active CB op. I went to his house one time and tried to convince him to
            study for his ham license to no avail but he was very nice.

            73
            Chuck
            AF4O

> [...]

            police were not interested in those kind of complaints. I would suggest
            taking a pro-active approach. Take your information packet down to the
            police station and show it to the police chief. Have a chat with him
            and
            tell him about this woman. It sounds like he has had to deal with her
            before, so he probably will be wanting to not deal with it. But explain
            that interference of this type is in the jurisdiction of the federal
            government and he will most likely inform the complainant that he can do
            nothing about it when she calls.

            These kind of problems can be very upsetting, and tend to get one's
            blood
            pressure up. You may decide that it is not worth the aggravation. But
            it
            is not fair that people like that can prevent you from enjoying your

            To unsubscribe, send an email to:

            Yahoo! Groups Links