Windows XP Question / Problem...

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2003

      If you use the New XP operating System, have you noticed any problems with interrupts in the soundboard? (It is hard to hear with the ear but easily seen using a meter or rf keying circuit!)

      During the Contest I finally figured out what was happening with my Mirage Amplifier dropping off line during a 30 second tx period.  What appeared to be happening every time I clicked on refresh or hit the <back> <forward> buttons the audio from the soundboard was being interrupted momentarily (fraction of a second) and the amplifier relays chatter and RF power drops about 20 watts! (I can operate using the amp in the SSB position instead of FM but relay delay causes me to miss about a second of received audio. In 30 minutes run, that is 30 seconds!) Not a problem with six meter amplifier because it is keyed by the radio, but you can still see the output swing when you use the “refresh” button.

      After calling Dell and discussing with their “Expert” he said that was a normal occurrence, the system was checking to see if a “cookie was set” and if not
      ”setting one” or some such thing. He said this was a normal thing and nothing could be done about it.  (My slower computer didn’t have this problem but it was 98SE)

      My PC is a Dell 8250 Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz , 512 Ram….  (I am surprised to see a high tech machine have to interrupt the audio to set cookies…..)

      Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

      Tip

      WA5UFH

      Randy Tipton WA5UFH (Tip)
      Edna, Texas EL19pa
      Email            : wa5ufh@...

      HomePage    : www.qsl.net/wa5ufh

      DigitalOnSix : http://www.qsl.net/digitalonsix/

      Home Bible Studies: www.ykc.com/adcofc

    • James Choate
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2003

        Hi Tip

        I have the same problem here on both my WinXP machines if I have the mic gain set too high when using the interface. I figured this out early on that when certain web pages refresh,(ping jockey,50 prop logger ,etc) it will cause my interface to go into TX mode for a second while I'm receiving.Dropping the mic gain resolved it for me. Hope this is of help.

        James KC5OAO EL39tu