QRV on 432 tropo 2/13, 2000-2200 EST

  • K4MSG@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2006
      Hello all,

          I will be calling CQ on 432.090 using JT65b at 2000 EST to the South, and 2100 EST to the North.  I will be 1st sequence.

      ********************************
      Paul Bock, K4MSG
      Hamilton, VA FM19ee

      There is sometimes a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
    • Charles AF4O
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006

        If this is off topic I apologize. But it does pertain to WSJT operation. Moderator, please remove if its out of line.

        Hi All,

        Well I have the dreaded neighbor who is calling due to RFI to her TV. She has called 3 times and only when running WSJT on 6m pointing in her general direction (to the northeast of course, a prime direction).

        My 6m equipment is FT-847, Astron RS-50M, 4 Element beam at 37’, 9096 coax (flex 9913) and no amp – 100 watts only.

        I have the antenna towers and rig grounded with double 0 ground wire all together with 3- 8’ ground rods.

        Her house is 3 houses down roughly 250’ away. No one else has complained. When she called I could hear the fsk in the background.

        The first call she called and spoke with my wife and so much as threatened my wife by saying “and if he does not stop something will be done”. What does that mean, I ask myself?

        The other times I spoke with her and she squarely placed the blame on me and hung up.

        I have lived here since 1989 and she is known for calling the police on people for the least things. She called the police on an officer that lives near us once!

        So I can probably expect a police visit if I continue to run 6 meters. I have prepared a notebook with rfi information mainly from the ARRL including information on jurisdiction in case they do not understand. Due to the threat, I have no desire to work to resolve this at her house unless I get an apology. Is this being to stiff?

        I have 4 tv’s, dvd players, daughters video game, vcr, telephones, computer network with 4 computers, etc in the house and I have them all tight and with ferrite doughnuts to where there is no interference. I can watch one tv 5’ away from the equipment with no rfi. I am on DirectTV.

        My 6m WSJT operating habits are mainly random hours on Saturday morning, the other WSJT group contests, and the seldom random or PJ contact on 6m. I work a job and just don’t transmit that much.

        I am not sure of her tv equipment as she does not stay on the phone before hanging up long enough to find out. I can see a DSS dish and what appears to be a gull wing over the air tv antenna. Heaven forbid she is trying to get the local channels on that gull wing with preamp at 20’ from Memphis which is about 60 miles away!

        You guys are some of the most knowledgeable hams I have been associated with so any advice, opinions, etc will be appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Chuck
        AF4O

      • Lee Scott - AA1YN
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
          At 08:26 PM 2/16/2006 -0600, Charles AF4O wrote:

          >I am not sure of her tv equipment as she does not stay on the phone before
          >hanging up long enough to find out. I can see a DSS dish and what appears
          >to be a gull wing over the air tv antenna. Heaven forbid she is trying to
          >get the local channels on that gull wing with preamp at 20 from Memphis
          >which is about 60 miles away!
          >

          >You guys are some of the most knowledgeable hams I have been associated
          >with so any advice, opinions, etc will be appreciated.
          >

          >Thanks,
          >Chuck
          >AF4O

          Chuck,

          First bit of advice, be polite. Second bit of advice - be more polite but
          call your ARRL section manager and let him know the situation and ask for
          some technical intervention. Each section as a technical advisor just for
          this type of situation. They are knowledgeable about TVI and can help.

          Best of luck

          Lee - AA1YN

          Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
          Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
          Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com
          Hooksett, NH
          FN43gc52
        • Charles AF4O
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
            Hi Lee,

            Thanks. I dealt with the power company for almost 2 years trying to get
            the first and major round of power line rfi done. I never lost my cool
            with them and was always diplomatic.
            http://bellsouthpwp.net/a/f/af4o/rfi.html

            Even when they said they would do no more, I politely and calmly stated
            that I would have no choice but to turn it over to the FCC which I did.
            They now are cooperative and have been out several times since as power
            rfi crops up.

            I guess I am getting weary of all this and my stable diplomatic fight is
            growing weak. I have about come to the point just to not use 6 meters.
            But what is next?

            The phone conversations were brief and not enough time to get angry on
            my part. She was angry the entire time. And the threat on the first call
            made me decide I was not going to attempt to resolve this myself other
            than to shut down which the RH hour was over anyway.

            I do not fear her but it's not worth risking going to her territory. I
            feel I would have a 90 percent chance or better of resolving this with a
            cooperative person but I am not going to pay her DTV bill for local
            channels if all she is willing to do is use that gull wing.

            I have known her since I was a kid. I have been to her house when I was
            in the TV-Electronics business for 20 years. She works at Wal Mart. She
            is
            -not- going to pay for any resolution I can tell you.

            I guess my next move is to decide if it's worth operating 6 meters and
            risk the police knocking at my door and dealing with that. Although I am
            in the right will small town law understand?

            I do not give up on things worth fighting. I'm just trying to decide if
            6 is worth fighting.

            No you can bet I will not loose my cool. I'm in the right, no reason to.

            73
            Chuck
            AF4O

            At 08:26 PM 2/16/2006 -0600, Charles AF4O wrote:

            >I am not sure of her tv equipment as she does not stay on the phone
            before
            >hanging up long enough to find out. I can see a DSS dish and what
            appears
            >to be a gull wing over the air tv antenna. Heaven forbid she is trying
            >get the local channels on that gull wing with preamp at 20 from Memphis

            >which is about 60 miles away!
            >

            >You guys are some of the most knowledgeable hams I have been associated

            >with so any advice, opinions, etc will be appreciated.
            >

            >Thanks,
            >Chuck
            >AF4O

            Chuck,

            First bit of advice, be polite. Second bit of advice - be more polite
            but
            call your ARRL section manager and let him know the situation and ask
            for
            some technical intervention. Each section as a technical advisor just
            for
            this type of situation. They are knowledgeable about TVI and can help.

            Best of luck

            Lee - AA1YN

            Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
            Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
            Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com
            Hooksett, NH
            FN43gc52
          • Russ K2TXB
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 16, 2006
              Chuck, it is definitely a problem with her equipment. But I guess you know
              that. One of the good things about FSK441 and JT65 operations is that I get
              a lot less TVI/RFI complaints than with CW or SSB. Part of it may be that
              the steady carrier does not sound like a ham, and so they don't know why the
              signal drops due to overload. But certainly it produces less 'noise' on
              stereos and other audio equipment. So her equipment must be very poor.

              I have had to deal with these problems over the years. When you live in an
              area like here, the neighbors all are quite affluent and mostly think that
              their stuff don't smell. So there is little that can be done in terms of
              reasoning with them. When cable came into this area it was a real help to
              me, except for one or two who had very poor equipment installations.

              When they would call, I would tell them that I am willing to work with them
              but usually they are not interested. If they threatened, I would usually
              tell them to call the FCC. The FCC will usually send them an information
              packet to tell them how to deal with getting it fixed. If they do not
              attempt to resolve the problem then the FCC does not appear to take any
              interest in the case. I have dealt with this stuff for 25 years at this
              location, and I have yet to receive any correspondence from FCC about it.

              I did determine that the interference here was only when I was beamed in the
              direction of a group of houses. So I try to not beam that way even though
              it is an important direction (NW), during prime TV viewing hours. But if it
              is a contest, or an opening, or a special station then I operate and let the
              chips fall.

              The threat to call the police is something you have to take seriously. This
              happened to a friend, and he was actually arrested. But when he showed the
              court the PRB-1 documents they dismissed the case. After that the local
              police were not interested in those kind of complaints. I would suggest
              taking a pro-active approach. Take your information packet down to the
              police station and show it to the police chief. Have a chat with him and
              tell him about this woman. It sounds like he has had to deal with her
              before, so he probably will be wanting to not deal with it. But explain
              that interference of this type is in the jurisdiction of the federal
              government and he will most likely inform the complainant that he can do
              nothing about it when she calls.

              These kind of problems can be very upsetting, and tend to get one's blood
              pressure up. You may decide that it is not worth the aggravation. But it
              is not fair that people like that can prevent you from enjoying your hobby -
              if you give in, that is.

              73, Russ K2TXB

            • Charles AF4O
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 17, 2006
                Excellent suggestion Russ, Thanks. I somewhat know the Police Chief so
                that sounds like a good course of action.

                I also knew the Chief's father before he passed. He was retired and an
                active CB op. I went to his house one time and tried to convince him to
                study for his ham license to no avail but he was very nice.

                73
                Chuck
                AF4O

> [...]

                police were not interested in those kind of complaints. I would suggest
                taking a pro-active approach. Take your information packet down to the
                police station and show it to the police chief. Have a chat with him
                and
                tell him about this woman. It sounds like he has had to deal with her
                before, so he probably will be wanting to not deal with it. But explain
                that interference of this type is in the jurisdiction of the federal
                government and he will most likely inform the complainant that he can do
                nothing about it when she calls.

                These kind of problems can be very upsetting, and tend to get one's
                blood
                pressure up. You may decide that it is not worth the aggravation. But
                it
                is not fair that people like that can prevent you from enjoying your

                To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                Yahoo! Groups Links