WSJT 5.9.3

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2006
      To: Users of WSJT
      From: Joe Taylor, K1JT (for the WSJT Working Group)
      Subject: WSJT 5.9.3
      Date: January 26, 2006

      The WSJT Working Group is pleased to announce that Version 5.9.3 is
      available for free download at http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT,
      and on our development web site at
      https://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5666. It
      should appear soon on the European mirror site, http://www.dk5ya.de, as
      well.

      Version 5.9.3 is a minor maintenance release. Changes from WSJT 5.9.2
      are as follows:

      1. New Help screen provides a list of available suffixes and add-on
      DXCC prefixes.

      2. The occasional error message about "images do not match" has been
      trapped and should no longer occur.

      3. It is no longer necessary to enter one's own grid locator with the
      first two letters in upper case and the last two in lower case.

      4. Initialization of the PTT line to the "OFF" state has been fixed.

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • Dan K9ZF
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2006
        I'm having some trouble with my laptop, which is my primary WSJT and
        logging machine.

        I'm using an old IBM Thinkpad 560x. It's a Pentium 233 mmx, with 64 mb
        ram, running Win98 lite.

        Here is the trouble. I noticed the other day that I had lost my network
        connection. I have a wireless router at home, and use a Xircom pcmcia
        wireless adapter with the Thinkpad. I opened control panel and it shows
        both pcmcia slots as empty. There was no lights showing on the card
        either... I tried a couple of reboots, but there was no change. So I
        figured that my network card had died. I tried another Xircom network
        card, but it didn't work either. I also tried switching between the two
        ports, no help there either. I also tried uninstalling the pcmcia ports
        and reboot, letting plug 'n' play reinstall the ports. No change.

        Am I missing anything? Have the pcmcia ports died on my old machine?
        Is this a common failure?

        I guess it's time to replace the old laptop, it's just bad timing. And
        the old 560x still does just about everything I need for a portable
        machine. But I really need my network connection as it's the only good
        way I have of transferring data on and off the machine, aside from a
        floppy drive...

        Any comments appreciated!
        73
        Dan

        --
        K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
        Check out the Rover Resource Page at: <http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hi people.

          My PC seems to hesitate when coming up to TX when using JT65, and I can't
          figure out why...

          Using WSJT 4.9.8 and with very little in the way of other programmes running
          (no anti-virus, no firewall or other such programmes) With the PC clock set
          right, if I watch the time on the WSJT programme, the seconds tick by, 57,
          58, (small pause) 59 moves quickly to 00, then a long pause and the clock
          jumps to 03 seconds. In this 3 seconds, the TX turns on between 1 and 2
          seconds, tones can be heard at 3 seconds.

          I can't be 100% sure, but I think this delay is upsetting the time of the
          tones as when it comes to the end of the TX period, some time there's a long
          single tone, some times it's chopped prior to this single tone being sent.

          I've set the priority of WSJT to 'high' but it didn't make any difference.

          The machine is a new build, windows XP home, with all the updates, the
          hardware is a P4 - 3ghz with 1.5gb of ram. The processor has hyper
          threading, and I've tried turning it off (as it is right now) or, running
          with it on... but there's no difference.

          Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem may be??

          Thanks in advance.

          Andy
          http://gd0tep.com
        • Russ K2TXB
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
            Andy, I don't have any real good answers for you but a few comments. First,
            I would leave the hyper threading on. I don't see how it can hurt, and it
            could help when you start running more applications at the same time. I
            have seen the same problems, but they were with slow computers. I have seen
            that most new computers are loaded up with all kinds of 'gee whiz' gadgets,
            programs that are not generally desired by me. Some of these programs load
            background tasks that use up a lot of processor time. What is needed is to
            go through the task list, find out what every loaded process is for, and
            figure out whether you need it or not. That is not easy, and you will have
            to do Google searches on the process names to find out who they came from
            and what they do.

            A lot of these processes are started when your computer boots and others are
            started when you start Internet Explorer. A good program to view and remove
            these processes from being auto-started is called "HijackThis.exe". You can
            download it free from their site. But be careful to not eliminate things
            that are required. HihackThis does make a log, and I think it can undo what
            you have removed, if you tell it to save the information. But I have never
            used that feature so I cannot say how well it works. However I have fixed
            many a slow computer using it.

            Another thing to think about is your clock. How is it getting updated? If
            you are using a program like Dimension 4, how often do you have it set to
            update? Is it possible that it is updating at the start of each minute? If
            so, maybe the clock update is interfering with proper WSJT reading of the
            system clock at that moment. I have not actually confirmed that this can
            happen, but it is something to look at.

            73 & GL, Russ K2TXB

          • Andy GD0TEP
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2006
              Hi Russ & group.

              OK, here's more information regarding this TX hesitation problem.

              The PC was built by me purely for WSJT, and no other reason. Windows XP home
              was used for the operating system, and, although it was connected to the
              internet for all the usual software updates, it doesn't reside on any
              network. The only other software running on the PC is WSJT.

              Time keeping is a manual thing, i.e. I check the time and set it as best as
              I can, there's no auto update checked on the time settings.

              I can't figure out why this hesitation happens... So, in light of this
              problem, and a un-resolved problem (un-resolved by me!) between WSJT and my
              RigExpert, I have now tried (this afternoon) moving to version 5.9.3 of WSJT
              and, I first tried using a Sound Blaster Live card, but for some strange
              reason, I can't get the card to accept the incoming sound from the radio,
              outgoing is fine. So, I've pulled the S.B. and I've enabled the on board
              RealTek AC'97 sound card.

              My question this time is 'how good is the AC'97 sound card for JT65 on EME'
              ?? Anyone know the answer to that one? Any info appreciated.
              Thanks in advance.

              Andy
              http://gd0tep.com