RE: [wsjtgroup] Working more people

  • Rex Moncur
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006

      Hi All

      Andy remarked:

       (I seem to remember some of the VK's doing something like
      this a while back.  Any wisdom to share?).

      In VK we normally work two stations at a time during out activity sessions with a format like:

      VK2AWD/26 VK4CDI/R27 VK7MO

      Once callsigns are exchanged we abbreviate them as follows:

      AWD/RRR CDI/73 VK7MO

      Of course the longer messages mean you do not always get what you want in a single ping so it is slower to work individual stations but our feeling is you can increase your rate of contacts by around 50% - we would typically work 4 or 5 stations in an hour on two meters with this technique. I suspect this technique would work even better on 6 meters with the longer pings. WSJT limits one to working two stations at a time due to the message length constraints.

      You will notice that we do not repeat the reports so as to have a better chance of getting everything you need in a single ping.  This is not much of a limitation as if you have good decodes each side of a report you can be reasonably confident about it.

      73 Rex VK7MO

    • Russ K2TXB
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006
        Actually, we already have a scheme for this. If in QSO on the calling
        frequency (or elsewhere when there is more than one caller), the correct
        procedure is to use the suffix of the station you are working when sending
        reports, rogers, and 73's.

        So if I were working K0SM, I would send "SM RFM29", or SM RRR" or "SM 73".
        (Of course we do not use short hand messages in this situation.)

        This way, whenever any station copies any or your transmissions they can
        tell if you are working them, or someone else.

        If a station realizes that you are working someone else, then they can
        either continue calling, or wait until they hear you send RRR or 73. I
        would prefer that people continue calling as it is easy to copy both at once
        and I can then begin calling the second station in lieu of sending 73 to the
        first one.

        I think that covers it. However there is a somewhat related situation I
        would like to comment on. During the January contest I observed several
        stations calling CQ on 144.140. None of them, except me, were using offset
        frequencies. Why not? A contest is the right time to use this method
        because it relieves a lot of QRM on the calling frequency. As it was, I
        decided to wait until two close by stations finished working a station
        before I could call another station who was CQ'ing. I do not mind if
        stations call at the same time I am working someone (on the same sequence),
        and I think that most people who frequent this reflector and Ping Jockey,
        know that is acceptable practice. But these other guys were contest
        stations who do not normally work HSMS at non contest times. I was afraid
        that they would take my calling at the same time they were working someone
        as deliberate interference.

        This would not be an issue if everyone would use the offset frequency
        method!

        73, Russ K2TXB

      • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006
          Russ K2TXB wrote:

          >If a station realizes that you are working someone else, then they can
          >either continue calling, or wait until they hear you send RRR or 73. I
          >would prefer that people continue calling as it is easy to copy both at once
          >and I can then begin calling the second station in lieu of sending 73 to the
          >first one.

          I guess what I'm proposing is that it makes sense to just have both
          stations continue simultaneous QSOs no matter what state the first QSO
          is in. If I have a station with 50w and a dipole call me it's going to
          take a little longer to finish the QSO. I could probably work a couple
          big stations very quickly in the meantime. Why should they have to wait
          because I'm working a diffulcult QSO? I can start the QSO with the
          little guy, work the big guns quickly when they call, all the while
          sending the appropriate information to the little guy as we crawl
          through our QSO.

          Assuming you are K2TXB and K0SM is a puny station running 50w and a wet
          noodle, your transmitted messages might look something like this as you
          work K2DRH and W0VB in the meantime:

          (Hear K0SM responding to CQ)
          K0SM FM29 K2TXB FM29
          (next sequence you hear K2DRH also responding to CQ)
          K0SM FM29 K2DRH FM29 DE K2TXB
          (Hear R EN41 from K2DRH, nothing from SM yet)
          K0SM FM29 DRH RRR DE K2TXB
          (Hear 73 from DRH, hear W0VB calling, still nothing from SM)
          K0SM FM29 W0VB FM29 DE K2TXB
          (Hear R EN10 from K0SM, nothing from W0VB)
          SM RRR W0VB FM29 DE K2TXB
          (Hear R EN34 from W0VB)
          SM RRR W0VB RRR DE K2TXB
          (Hear 73 from W0VB)
          SM RRR

          You just worked three stations in 7 minutes. If you worked them
          linearly it would have taken about 15. I'm willing to bet that if it
          took 30 min for you to complete with K0SM you would have lost the QSOs
          with Terry and Bob because they would have had other places to be. I
          guess I really want to encourage us to get away from the
          first-in-first-out mentality as it really doesn't have to apply to
          FSK441. I think most of us would agree that on 6m these messages are
          not too long.

          As for the offset method, I agree with you wholeheartedly. We CQed with
          the offset all the time with good success on both 6 and 2m. The nice
          thing about QSYing in a crowded area is that it gives other local
          stations a chance to listen on the "other half" of the minute every now
          and again. Here in the northeast most everyone CQs on the 2nd half of
          the minute. Unfortunately, some of those down south are also CQing
          there on the same half. If nobody QSYed, the result is that we would
          never make contact because the nearby local stations are constantly
          TXing on that half of the minute, either CQing or in a QSO. If we allow
          ourselves to QSY off that frees up some listening time on the other half
          of the minute.

          I have to say that we were blown away by the random activity on 6m.
          K2AXX is only about 40 miles from W2FU, yet we worked people left and
          right and didn't cause each other any problems even though we are nearly
          line of sight and running KWs. We even got a chance to work some of the
          4's who were CQing on the same half of the minute because AXX or I would
          QSY off of .260 to work someone. I know we made at least 15 random QSOs
          on 6m at W2FU, mostly in the span of two hours! It's kinda scary to
          think this, but that far outweighs the value of staying on SSB/CW at
          that time because the QSO rate is just about the same and every QSO is a
          new multiplier. Have a look at K7BV's soapbox comments to get some
          perspective on what was available out there.

          Andy

        • Randy Tipton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2006
            Russ, I agreee with all your comments, including...

            Snip: I
            > would prefer that people continue calling as it is easy to copy both at
            > once
            > and I can then begin calling the second station in lieu of sending 73 to
            > the
            > first one.

            The above method has worked for me many times and is more reliable than
            tring to tailend because some stations don't listen after completing. Also
            when the other stations does complete he can start with TX2 provided he
            copied your pings while completing the other qso's.

            Example, last Saturday I copied KE2N during Random Hour on six meters. He
            was calling offset so I immediately started calling him. The distance is
            1302 miles. We knew there were probably only going to be pings every 5 - 10
            minutes at that distance. We continued calling Ken the entire time that he
            worked 4 or 5 other stations. Finally after he completed the easy ones, Ken
            called me and we made the contact.

            Tip