RE: [wsjtgroup] Proposal ... Comments requested.....

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003

      Mike my experience has been direct pointing works best, period. But I have listened to many qso’s, as many of you have, and have been surprised to copy stations when the antenna was off that station 20 – 40 degs or even more. I check the N0LL (QRP) beacon often and have found that pings are heard over about a 80 deg range easily. There are more occurrences of pings when direct pointing is employed but pings are heard even off the side and back of the beam. It is not uncommon at all to listen to 50.125 SSB and hear many meteor scatter signals daily. The same would apply to monitoring 50.270 FSK if the activity was there.

      For two meters I think the same would apply even with the narrower beamwidth beams used. Lets take the case of W1LP out in the Gulf. I could be wrong but I don’t think Clint is rotating his beam around but yet many people work him. I have worked him deep in the gulf while he was also working Florida and Georgia.

      As to the concern of hearing a ping but not knowing who it is, I would leave the antenna pointed exactly where it was. If one ping is capable of being received, others should follow. Then when you id who it is, point the antenna at them and make the contact. My concern would not be if I will hear another ping but rather did the calling station stop his cq’s.

      However, I would not want to be a rover depending strictly on random qso’s during a contest. By the way, good luck during the January contest.

      Tip

      WA5UFH

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 23, 2003
        Just received my rally winner's certificate (low power, assisted, Mountain
        time zone) in the mail. I'd like to publicly thank John (N6ENU) for
        preparing these and sending them out at his own expense. The certificate
        is simply gorgeous -- it's getting framed and going right up on my wall.

        Mike WB2FKO
        Albuquerque
      • Mike Hasselbeck
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
          Just received my certificate for the December NAHSMS Contest from John,
          N6ENU. Many thanks to the contest organizers and participants for a
          challenging but enjoyable weekend on the rocks this past December.
          Looking forward to the next one!

          Mike WB2FKO
          Low Power, Single Band, Mountain Time Zone
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2005
            Well, another Spring Rally is complete -- and I had a ball, as always.

            I ran unassisted this year, which is why you haven't seen me on Ping
            Jockey for more than a week.

            I suspect there must have been quite a few more stations that were on,
            but were not looking for random QSOs. I worked nearly everyone that I
            heard; many thanks to all those who answered my CQs, or put out their
            own CQs on the calling frequencies!

            -- 73, Joe, K1JT

            My log summary:

            Band QSOs Points Grids
            ---------------------------
            50 24 72 22
            144 11 33 10
            ---------------------------
            Totals 35 105 32

            Total score: 105 x 32 = 3360
          • Bob Poortinga
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2005
              Joe Taylor <joe@...> writes:

              > I suspect there must have been quite a few more stations that were on,
              > but were not looking for random QSOs. I worked nearly everyone that I
              > heard; many thanks to all those who answered my CQs, or put out their
              > own CQs on the calling frequencies!

              The contest was a mixed bag for me. I had good luck the first weekend,
              but the last couple days were awful. I ran unassisted, low-power, single
              band on 6m. It seemed like Joe was in the next county. I copied him
              almost every sequence he called in my direction, often via tropo. Last
              Saturday, I got little airtime because I was studying for the Element 4
              exam which I took (and passed) at noon. In the afternoon and evening, I
              was attending my daughter's college graduation and openhouse.

              Yesterday was particularly disappointing, I called CQ on and off for almost
              4 hours in the morning and never got a reply. I tried answering N5SIX/M's
              CQ but no luck. Other than Joe and Bruce, there were very few stations
              calling CQ that I could hear. I thought the conditions generally were OK
              and I know that my station is not deaf, so what's the deal? Don't people
              who are QRV on PingJockey listen on the calling frequency when they are idle?
              There were also several stations I heard quite well, but couldn't work for
              some reason. Perhaps calling CQ with U/D is too confusing for some
              operators. I had one busted QSO with WA4HFN. When I was TXing my REM69,
              he suddenly started calling another station. I never completed with him.

              I was hoping for at least 12 Rally QSOs, but only managed 9, the same as
              last contest.

              My log summary:

              Band QSOs Points Grids
              ---------------------------
              50 9 27 9
              ---------------------------

              Total score: 27 x 9 = 243

              --
              Bob Poortinga K9SQL/AE
              Bloomington, Indiana US
              Message 6 of 9 , May 10, 2005
                Monitored 50.260MHz the first weekend, randomly the rest of the week,
                decoded absolutely nothing using FSK441A.
                Total score: 0

                W7USB
              • Walter Miller, AJ6T
                Message 7 of 9 , May 11, 2005
                  Clyde,

                  Too bad you were not able to make any MS QSOs during the Rally. I did
                  copy you CQing on 50.260 the first weekend on 30Apr2005 at 1711z. I
                  called you but got no response. I was hoping to run into you later
                  during the contest, but I didn't hear you again. I managed to get 17
                  QSOs during the Rally, 13 on 6m and 4 on 2m.

                  I'd be glad to run a sked with you sometime if you would like to
                  checkout your gear.

                  73,
                  Walt, AJ6T
                  CM87