JT65 Decode

  • AG2A
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2006
      I tried to swap wav files with a friend to compare results and just
      hear each others qsos. He found the only way for him to decode
      someone else's jt65 file is to put his own call in the default
      (options) and set up wsjt with the standard messages set to the call
      of the other station on the wav file. I tried this and found he is
      correct. If you don't adjust those calls you can't decode the file.
      We are both using the latest version of wsjt. Is there anyone that
      can explain this odd (to me) behavior?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 12, 2006
        Hi Tom--

        You can find a full description of the JT65 protocol and how its
        decoders work in my article in QEX for August-September 2005. A link to
        the article can be found on the WSJT "Documentation" page:
        http://pulsar.princeton.edu/%7Ejoe/K1JT/JT65.pdf. Answers to your
        question will be found in sections 9 to 13 of the article.

        In short: at signal strengths around -24 dB and higher, a fully general
        Reed Solomon decoder will decode any message correctly. The "Deep
        search" decoder can go about 4 dB deeper into the noise, but it only has
        time to look for messages that have "My Call" or "CQ" in the first
        message position.
        -- 73, Joe, K1JT