Fireball alert and neb question

  • Brian larmay
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2006
      Hi......

      long time lurker here, but heres just a heads up I
      seen on spaceweather regarding the stardust capsule:

      FIREBALL ALERT: On Sunday morning, Jan. 15th, between
      1:56 and 1:59 a.m. PST (0956 - 0959 UT), a brilliant
      fireball will streak over northern California and
      Nevada. It's NASA's Stardust capsule, returning to
      Earth with samples of dust from Comet Wild 2. The best
      observing sites: near Carlin and Elko, Nevada, where
      the man-made meteor is expected to shine as much as 60
      times brighter than Venus.

      Im still a newb at this meteor scatter, lacking the
      majority of high cost equipment, but they
      (spaceweather), say all I need is a yagi and an FM
      reciever which I have.
      I have this hardware hooked up to my pc via
      video/sound adapter to usb port while using wsjt.

      I admit, I havent been able to pick up any meteor
      scatter, none that Im aware of at leaste, but I still
      try anyways out of curiosity sake.

      Heres my question...
      If you had my setup, how would you set it up to get
      the most out of it for scatter?
      What should wsjt's mode be at for a simple fm
      reciever.

      Pardon my lack of knowledge, and thanks for any help.
      Brian Larmay

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Russ K2TXB
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2006
        Hello Brian. I would not think WSJT would be too good to use for this
        event. The capsule will generate a single trail and will quickly be over.
        And using FM is problematical because there are not likely to be other FM
        stations looking to make contacts this way.

        Ideally I would suggest using SSB, but if that is impossible then I would
        suggest finding one or more interested hams and making schedules so that you
        will all be on the same frequency and mode. I would use FM voice if FM is
        the only way you have to operate. You need to have a good idea where to
        point your antennas and make very short transmissions so that you have time
        to make as many contacts as possible in the time the ionized trail left by
        the capsule exists or is in range.

        Also I have not seen any information about how high the capsule will be when
        it starts to 'burn'. That height, if known, can tell you the maximum range
        that you can expect to work, assuming that the trail is at the mid point
        between two stations. If it is very high and you are close to the trail, it
        might be necessary to aim your antenna up in order to hear any reflections
        from the trail. So knowing the height and the path the object will be on
        would be very helpful.

        Since you probably will not know these things, about the best you can do is
        prepare to be very agile. Try to get a visual on the capsule and then
        quickly aim your antenna towards it. Best not to use too high gain an
        antenna, so you do not have a very small beamwidth. Hope that your sked
        partner(s) are able to get aimed the right way at the same time and you may
        be able to make a contact. Another way might be to use omnidirectional
        antennas, like a ground plane, and hope for strong enough reflections to
        overcome the low gain. That way you eliminate the aiming problem. Of
        course the more power you have the better. I would try for at least 100
        watts at each station, but if 25 watts is all you can do, go for it. You
        never know if you don't try.

        Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

        73, Russ K2TXB