WSJTGROUP Databases

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2006
      The 2005 Perseids was documented with 21 entries however the 2005 Leonids &
      Geminids were documented by only one station for each shower. The link to
      the database is on the group webpage or just follow the link below if you
      wish to contribute to the data.

      http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/WSJTGROUP/Databases.htm

      Tip
    • Brian larmay
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 11, 2006
        Hi......

        long time lurker here, but heres just a heads up I
        seen on spaceweather regarding the stardust capsule:

        FIREBALL ALERT: On Sunday morning, Jan. 15th, between
        1:56 and 1:59 a.m. PST (0956 - 0959 UT), a brilliant
        fireball will streak over northern California and
        Nevada. It's NASA's Stardust capsule, returning to
        Earth with samples of dust from Comet Wild 2. The best
        observing sites: near Carlin and Elko, Nevada, where
        the man-made meteor is expected to shine as much as 60
        times brighter than Venus.

        Im still a newb at this meteor scatter, lacking the
        majority of high cost equipment, but they
        (spaceweather), say all I need is a yagi and an FM
        reciever which I have.
        I have this hardware hooked up to my pc via
        video/sound adapter to usb port while using wsjt.

        I admit, I havent been able to pick up any meteor
        scatter, none that Im aware of at leaste, but I still
        try anyways out of curiosity sake.

        Heres my question...
        If you had my setup, how would you set it up to get
        the most out of it for scatter?
        What should wsjt's mode be at for a simple fm
        reciever.

        Pardon my lack of knowledge, and thanks for any help.
        Brian Larmay

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Russ K2TXB
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2006
          Hello Brian. I would not think WSJT would be too good to use for this
          event. The capsule will generate a single trail and will quickly be over.
          And using FM is problematical because there are not likely to be other FM
          stations looking to make contacts this way.

          Ideally I would suggest using SSB, but if that is impossible then I would
          suggest finding one or more interested hams and making schedules so that you
          will all be on the same frequency and mode. I would use FM voice if FM is
          the only way you have to operate. You need to have a good idea where to
          point your antennas and make very short transmissions so that you have time
          to make as many contacts as possible in the time the ionized trail left by
          the capsule exists or is in range.

          Also I have not seen any information about how high the capsule will be when
          it starts to 'burn'. That height, if known, can tell you the maximum range
          that you can expect to work, assuming that the trail is at the mid point
          between two stations. If it is very high and you are close to the trail, it
          might be necessary to aim your antenna up in order to hear any reflections
          from the trail. So knowing the height and the path the object will be on
          would be very helpful.

          Since you probably will not know these things, about the best you can do is
          prepare to be very agile. Try to get a visual on the capsule and then
          quickly aim your antenna towards it. Best not to use too high gain an
          antenna, so you do not have a very small beamwidth. Hope that your sked
          partner(s) are able to get aimed the right way at the same time and you may
          be able to make a contact. Another way might be to use omnidirectional
          antennas, like a ground plane, and hope for strong enough reflections to
          overcome the low gain. That way you eliminate the aiming problem. Of
          course the more power you have the better. I would try for at least 100
          watts at each station, but if 25 watts is all you can do, go for it. You
          never know if you don't try.

          Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

          73, Russ K2TXB