WSJT and Dell Inspiron 8000?

  • Scott Littfin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
      Anybody SUCCESSFULLY using this laptop with WSJT? It looks like I
      need to adjust base and treble as the little scope in the upper right
      corner of the display shows that the highest tone is being filtered
      out. I try to adjust the tone settings with the advanced feature of
      the volume control but the tone sliders are grayed out and both appear
      to be at minimum setting. I'd like to boost the treble response. I
      think this is why I'm having trouble decoding reliably. Ideas?

      Scott
      N0EDV
    • Russ K2TXB
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        Scott, you don't mention what your radio is, but if course it is the
        problem. If your receiver has the ability to switch to different passband
        settings, putting it in the widest setting is best with WSJT. Otherwise, if
        it has some kind of passband tuning, simply adjust it so the higher
        frequencies are passed. If it is an older rig then maybe it needs an
        alignment. Quite a common problem with some older rigs was that the
        oscillator frequencies would get off and then the crystal filter does not
        have the proper frequency relationship with the suppressed carrier. The fix
        is to adjust the oscillator frequency or replace the crystal if necessary.
        When this happens it also affects transmit, causing transmit audio to sound
        either bassy or high pitched. Of course this will also cause problems in
        transmitting WSJT tones.

        Failing all that, maybe you could use a little HiFi graphic equalizer to
        flatten the response from your receiver.

        73, Russ K2TXB

        PS: For JT65, you could always tune your receiver as much as 400-500 Hz high
        in frequency so that the received tones are lower pitched. But that won't
        work too well with FSK441 although you could maybe get a little improvement
        by tuning high by 100-200 Hz.