Proposal ... Comments requested.....

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
      I would like to propose an idea for "sharpening our saws". Skill
      Improvements 101 for random contacts. Hi

      During the last Meteor Scatter Contest several tried operating in the
      Unassisted Class. That meant no use of Ping Jockey was permitted. It
      would appear this is a valid method of making contacts but it offers a
      few challenges not encountered when using the Ping Jockey.

      Challenges like:
      1) Operating Split... listening UXX or Dxx
      2) Identifying the person calling with received data only and completing
      the contact.
      3) "Tailend" qso's in progress.
      4) QSY stations to another band after completion of a qso.

      These are just a few interesting challenges that unassisted operators
      face.

      I would like to propose on every Saturday morning, maybe after everyone
      has time to attempt the assisted qso's that we set aside a time like
      1400 to 1500 UTC for stations to "sharpen their saws" using 144.140 and
      50.270 for calling CQ's. This could be dubbed the "Saturday Unassisted
      Hour".

      Let's see just how many CQ's are possible on the call frequencies
      without having total KAOS. (Keep Activity On Scatter)

      All CQ's should include one of the methods for moving the QSO to an
      alternate frequency. The call frequency should be used for cq's only. To
      my knowledge the two accepted methods are UXX & DXX or last three digits
      of frequency one is listening to ie CQ 147 WA5UFH.

      After such an event stations could post their experiences, learnings,
      success , recommendations etc to the WSJTGROUP. Times of contacts made
      would be of interest to see how many contacts were made on simultaneous
      times/frequencies!

      Your comments please. Good idea or bad? Would you participate? When
      would be a good time to start? What would you change?

      Randy Tipton WA5UFH (Tip)
      Edna, Texas (EL19pa)
    • Mike Hasselbeck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003
        Interesting idea. Here's the problem I see as a relative newcomer
        to WSJT (2 months running FSK441 only on 2 meters):

        Where do I point the antenna? These QSO's are TOUGH even when I know
        exactly who I'm trying to work, when, and where. Suppose I'm calling CQ
        in a certain direction, someone is lucky enough to catch a ping, and then
        starts calling me. The likely case is I won't hear them for a while.
        How long do I wait before swinging the beam elsewhere? And where do I
        look next? As K0PW has pointed out, it helps if you are backed up against
        an ocean where there are, in principle, no MS operators. Then your
        horizon gets cut in half. But what if you have possibilities in just
        about every direction? Sounds like the proverbial needle in the haystack;
        I've never worked a random as it seems too daunting a task. Maybe I need
        some schooling on how to do it!

        Mike WB2FKO
        New Mexico
      • Randy Tipton
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2003

          Mike my experience has been direct pointing works best, period. But I have listened to many qso’s, as many of you have, and have been surprised to copy stations when the antenna was off that station 20 – 40 degs or even more. I check the N0LL (QRP) beacon often and have found that pings are heard over about a 80 deg range easily. There are more occurrences of pings when direct pointing is employed but pings are heard even off the side and back of the beam. It is not uncommon at all to listen to 50.125 SSB and hear many meteor scatter signals daily. The same would apply to monitoring 50.270 FSK if the activity was there.

          For two meters I think the same would apply even with the narrower beamwidth beams used. Lets take the case of W1LP out in the Gulf. I could be wrong but I don’t think Clint is rotating his beam around but yet many people work him. I have worked him deep in the gulf while he was also working Florida and Georgia.

          As to the concern of hearing a ping but not knowing who it is, I would leave the antenna pointed exactly where it was. If one ping is capable of being received, others should follow. Then when you id who it is, point the antenna at them and make the contact. My concern would not be if I will hear another ping but rather did the calling station stop his cq’s.

          However, I would not want to be a rover depending strictly on random qso’s during a contest. By the way, good luck during the January contest.

          Tip

          WA5UFH

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 23, 2003
            Just received my rally winner's certificate (low power, assisted, Mountain
            time zone) in the mail. I'd like to publicly thank John (N6ENU) for
            preparing these and sending them out at his own expense. The certificate
            is simply gorgeous -- it's getting framed and going right up on my wall.

            Mike WB2FKO
            Albuquerque
          • Mike Hasselbeck
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2004
              Just received my certificate for the December NAHSMS Contest from John,
              N6ENU. Many thanks to the contest organizers and participants for a
              challenging but enjoyable weekend on the rocks this past December.
              Looking forward to the next one!

              Mike WB2FKO
              Low Power, Single Band, Mountain Time Zone
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9 5:55 AM
                Well, another Spring Rally is complete -- and I had a ball, as always.

                I ran unassisted this year, which is why you haven't seen me on Ping
                Jockey for more than a week.

                I suspect there must have been quite a few more stations that were on,
                but were not looking for random QSOs. I worked nearly everyone that I
                heard; many thanks to all those who answered my CQs, or put out their
                own CQs on the calling frequencies!

                -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                My log summary:

                Band QSOs Points Grids
                ---------------------------
                50 24 72 22
                144 11 33 10
                ---------------------------
                Totals 35 105 32

                Total score: 105 x 32 = 3360
              • Bob Poortinga
                Message 7 of 9 , May 9 8:44 AM
                  Joe Taylor <joe@...> writes:

                  > I suspect there must have been quite a few more stations that were on,
                  > but were not looking for random QSOs. I worked nearly everyone that I
                  > heard; many thanks to all those who answered my CQs, or put out their
                  > own CQs on the calling frequencies!

                  The contest was a mixed bag for me. I had good luck the first weekend,
                  but the last couple days were awful. I ran unassisted, low-power, single
                  band on 6m. It seemed like Joe was in the next county. I copied him
                  almost every sequence he called in my direction, often via tropo. Last
                  Saturday, I got little airtime because I was studying for the Element 4
                  exam which I took (and passed) at noon. In the afternoon and evening, I
                  was attending my daughter's college graduation and openhouse.

                  Yesterday was particularly disappointing, I called CQ on and off for almost
                  4 hours in the morning and never got a reply. I tried answering N5SIX/M's
                  CQ but no luck. Other than Joe and Bruce, there were very few stations
                  calling CQ that I could hear. I thought the conditions generally were OK
                  and I know that my station is not deaf, so what's the deal? Don't people
                  who are QRV on PingJockey listen on the calling frequency when they are idle?
                  There were also several stations I heard quite well, but couldn't work for
                  some reason. Perhaps calling CQ with U/D is too confusing for some
                  operators. I had one busted QSO with WA4HFN. When I was TXing my REM69,
                  he suddenly started calling another station. I never completed with him.

                  I was hoping for at least 12 Rally QSOs, but only managed 9, the same as
                  last contest.

                  My log summary:

                  Band QSOs Points Grids
                  ---------------------------
                  50 9 27 9
                  ---------------------------

                  Total score: 27 x 9 = 243

                  --
                  Bob Poortinga K9SQL/AE
                  Bloomington, Indiana US
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 10 9:25 PM
                    Monitored 50.260MHz the first weekend, randomly the rest of the week,
                    decoded absolutely nothing using FSK441A.
                    Total score: 0

                    W7USB
                  • Walter Miller, AJ6T
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 11 7:49 AM
                      Clyde,

                      Too bad you were not able to make any MS QSOs during the Rally. I did
                      copy you CQing on 50.260 the first weekend on 30Apr2005 at 1711z. I
                      called you but got no response. I was hoping to run into you later
                      during the contest, but I didn't hear you again. I managed to get 17
                      QSOs during the Rally, 13 on 6m and 4 on 2m.

                      I'd be glad to run a sked with you sometime if you would like to
                      checkout your gear.

                      73,
                      Walt, AJ6T
                      CM87