Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT EME with a WB2HOL 3 element foxhunt yagi!

  • Paul Whatton
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
      Hi Wayne

      My 9 element is currently fixed on the horizon and although I've worked
      6 of the big stations at moonrise or moonset it is always a struggle
      because I live in a noisy town. I intend to do exactly the same as you,
      either add elevation using a satellite actuator or use a separate yagi
      on a low mast.

      When you elevate your antenna you loose the ground gain. But in my case
      that is much more than compensated by the drop in the noise floor. If
      you can't hear them you can't work them! In any case at this QTH the
      ground reflection will be broken by the built environment and I'd be
      very surprised if I had much if any real ground gain. Sam RN6BN peaked
      at -18 on the DF yagi which is 2dB better than I have ever heard him on
      the 9 element at moonrise. Which just shows how bad the noise floor is
      on the horizontal yagi.

      If you want an example of what can be done with a single yagi and
      elevation take a look at Matej OK1TEH's web site. It is a real
      inspiration. He's using just 100 watts and a 10 element DK7ZB yagi:
      http://www.home.karneval.cz/00000104/eme.htm

      So go for it! You'll work loads!

      73 Paul G4DCV

      Wayne Steury wrote:
      > Paul, Thanks for that very interesting story. That gives me hope. I
      > have a
      > Yaesu ft857D and an 11 element beam I must point toward the horizon.
      > Maybe
      > I will try just aiming my other 11 el at the moon some clear night.
      > 73s
      >
      > Wayne N9EGT
    • Paul Whatton
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
        Thanks Don

        It is of course really the achievement of guys like Dave W5UN and Dmitry
        RA3AQ who have put enormous amounts of time and money into their
        stations so the rest of us can work them with a piece of wet string!

        But I have to admit not having had so much fun with amateur radio for a
        long time!

        73 Paul G4DCV

        Don AE5K wrote:
        > Paul Whatton wrote:
        > > Hi all
        > >
        > > I was amazed yesterday to work Dave W5UN and Dimitry RA3AQ on 2m EME
        > > using a 3 element WB2HOL DF yagi made from a steel tape measure.
        > >
        > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.whatton/dfeme.htm
        > >
        > > I hope you find it interesting? It's an example of what can be done
        > with
        > > WSJT and a big gun at the other end!
        > >
        > > 73 Paul G4DCV
        >
        > Congrats Paul! Amazing! I have used one of those tape measure beams
        > for DF foxhunting but never imagined being able to do EME with it. I've
        > taken the liberty of forwarding your message on to the rather dead
        > EME@... reflector and its nearly 200 members for their
        > information.
        >
        > 73,
        > Don AE5K

      • Andy GD0TEP
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 16, 2005
          Hi,

          Just downloaded version 5.9.0, but ran into problems straight away.

          As soon as I run the programme, it puts the radio into TX, and no matter
          what I try, I can't get it back into RX.

          I'm using:
          P4 1.8ghz, 1.5Mb ram, XPpro SP2 and Rigexpert sound card. (external)

          The first window (the one that looks like a DOS box) reports that I have
          Microsoft sound mapper for both input and output, and is using this as the
          default device. Although it also report that the rigexpert is there, it's
          not using it and I can't see how to change that...

          Any ideas?

          Andy
          http://gd0tep.com
        • Richard
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 16, 2005
            In that dos screen find out what the rigexpert device number for input
            and output are. mine was 2 input and 5 output.
            Now go to the options screen on wsjt and put those numbers into the
            input and output boxes.. then find out what comport your rigexpert is
            on and put that number into the com port box. That should get your
            started.

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Andy GD0TEP" <andy@g...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Just downloaded version 5.9.0, but ran into problems straight away.
            >
            > As soon as I run the programme, it puts the radio into TX, and no matter
            > what I try, I can't get it back into RX.
            >
            > I'm using:
            > P4 1.8ghz, 1.5Mb ram, XPpro SP2 and Rigexpert sound card. (external)
            >
            > The first window (the one that looks like a DOS box) reports that I have
            > Microsoft sound mapper for both input and output, and is using this
            as the
            > default device. Although it also report that the rigexpert is there,
            it's
            > not using it and I can't see how to change that...
            >
            > Any ideas?
            >

            > Andy
            > http://gd0tep.com

          • Andy GD0TEP
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 16, 2005
              >go to the options screen on wsjt and put those numbers into the
              >input and output boxes.. then find out what comport your rigexpert is
              >on and put that number into the com port box. That should get your
              >started.

              Well, not quite...

              I changed the setting, mine's on 1 and 3, but it still remains in TX.. I can
              get tones out when clicking on any of the TX buttons, so something's
              'almost' right, but not totally right.

              I'll keep looking/playing with it... it's bound to be something simple...

              Andy
              http://gd0tep.com

              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Andy GD0TEP" <andy@g...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Just downloaded version 5.9.0, but ran into problems straight away.
              >
              > As soon as I run the programme, it puts the radio into TX, and no matter
              > what I try, I can't get it back into RX.
              >
              > I'm using:
              > P4 1.8ghz, 1.5Mb ram, XPpro SP2 and Rigexpert sound card. (external)
              >
              > The first window (the one that looks like a DOS box) reports that I have
              > Microsoft sound mapper for both input and output, and is using this
              as the
              > default device. Although it also report that the rigexpert is there,
              it's
              > not using it and I can't see how to change that...
              >
              > Any ideas?
              >

              > Andy
              > http://gd0tep.com

              To unsubscribe, send an email to:

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Philip
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 19, 2005
                Andy,

                I have exactly the same problem as you with the latest version of
                WSJT 5.9.0 and my 'RigExpert' interface to my Kenwood TS-2000, in
                fact I had the same problem with the previous version 5.8.6 too.

                The old versions of WSJT 4.9.6 and 3.8.1, which I still have work
                fine and I have tried various combinations of in/out settings, but it
                still remains locked in transmit although there is no output on my TS-
                2000. If I select one of the Rigexpert 'out' or 'in' numbers, but not
                BOTH at the same time then it isn't locked in transmit, but will only
                either RX or TX. This has only started happening with these latest
                versions of WSJT, which is frustrating.

                Strange that with my MixW software and the RigExpert interface I also
                don't get this problem, BUT when I use that combination my audio
                devices in my computer are both 'VIA AC'97 Audio (WAVE)' and for WSJT
                I have to change them both to 'MixW RigExpert' for all versions of
                WSJT.

                If ever you do manage to solve this puzzle, please let me know as I
                have been a WSJT user from the start (years ago)and I would like to
                use the latest versions rather than having to stop at version 4.9.6.

                Regards

                Philip G0ISW

                http://www.qsl.net/g0isw
              • Philip
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 25, 2005
                  I see that there is a similar thread running now on the MixW RigExpert
                  group. It looks quite a few of us are struggling to use the latest WSJT
                  software with our interfaces.

                  Logic suggests that as my old versions of WSJT do work with the
                  interface that the problem might either lie in a change in the software
                  code and/or a driver problem?

                  The RigExpert interface works as a virtual soundcard on Comm port 13
                  and this leaves the computer soundcard free, as well as providing CAT
                  control for the transceiver.

                  Has anyone on this group got their RigExpert to work with the latest
                  WSJT version? The problem lies with selecting, at the same time, the
                  RigExperts in and out ports via WSJT.

                  Regards

                  Philip G0ISW
                • Andy GD0TEP
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 25, 2005
                    >>Has anyone on this group got their RigExpert to work with the latest
                    >>WSJT version? The problem lies with selecting, at the same time, the
                    >>RigExpert in and out ports via WSJT.

                    Hi Philip,

                    I tried and tried, but couldn't get the latest version to work with my
                    Rigexpert, the one suggestion regarding selecting the ports (I think it was)
                    didn't work either.

                    Mine would go into TX as soon as the software started, if I clicked any of
                    the TX button, the interface would play the tones ok, but just no RX... :-(

                    Looks like there is a few of us who will be stuck with the previous version
                    for now.

                    Cheers

                    Andy
                    http://gd0tep.com
                  • Philip
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2005
                      Andy,

                      I found this on the MixW RigExpert site:

                      "The Virtual Communication Port (VCP) driver is needed to provide a low-
                      level operating system support for the MixW RigExpert. After installing
                      the driver, the device appears to the system as an extra COMxx port (in
                      addition to any existing COM ports).

                      The Virtual COM Port is created by the driver for internal use only.
                      This means that you can not use this "COMxx" with software which does
                      not support the MixW RigExpert device directly."

                      I wonder if this means that if we ask Joe Taylor very nicely, he might
                      be able to help all us guys out by making the latest version of WSJT
                      compatable?

                      Regards

                      Philip G0ISW
                    • Dmitry Dmitriev
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2005
                        Hi, Philipp.

                        I'm not user of RigExpert, but perhaps this one can help you -
                        http://www.eltima.com/download/vspdxp/

                        --
                        73 de Dmitry/RA3AQ