11/052005 Random Hour Summary

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2005
      Congrads to Marshall, W9RVG for endorsement bring his RQA up to 60! Glad to have Lee, N5TIF with us last week for 6m hour,

      Reporting
      Station 2m
      WA3LTB - Tried N0PB and W9RVG
      AF4O - Heard WA3LTB
      KI0LE - Heard K1JT, W0IOH, WA3LTB, W9RVG and WA4HFN
      KG7CN - Worked NQ7R
      WA5UFH - Worked K8EB, all but RRR from KE7NR, CWNR NQ7R
      heard AF4O, N5OSK
      AJ6T - Tried K0NRP (sked), heard KB6YNN
      W0IOH - Nothing heard
      KC0HLN - Sked with N5TIF, CWNR N5OSK

      Reporting
      Station 6m
      WA3LTB - Worked KI0LE
      N5TIF - Heard N0PB
      W5UWB - Worked AF4O and N5SIX/M(EM53)
      AF4O - Worked W5UWB, heard K4YMQ tropo, AB3BK and WA5UFH
      KI0LE - Worked K1JT, WA3LTB, W9RVG and K5DNL, heard VE3FAL,
      KI4BWW, N0PB, K8EB, K4YMQ, W8LON, AB3BK and W5UWB
      KG7CN - Worked KU7Z, heard W0IOH and AJ6T
      K4YMQ - Worked AB3BK, CWNR AF4O, KI4BWW, VA2TOS, heard K1JT,
      KI0LE, KC0HLN, WA3LTB and N5SIX/M (EM53)
      WA5UFH - Worked KE7NR and W0IOH, heard KI4BWW, K4YMQ, WA4HFN
      and N5SIX/M(EM53)
      AJ6T - Worked KE7NR, heard KU7Z
      WB9F - Worked W9RVG, W8LON,K5DNL and VE3FAL, heard AF4O, K1JT,
      WA5UFH and K4YMQ
      W0IOH - Worked WA5UFH and N0PB
      KC0HLN - Heard W9RVG, KI0LE and partial from W5AOX
      N5SIX/M- Worked W9RVG from EM54 and W5UWB from EM53, CWNR KI4BWW,
      N0PB, N5OSK, and K1JT, heard VE3FAL, KI0LE, WA5UFH, K4YMQ, AF4O,
      K5DNL and K8EB. K1JT boomed in SSB for a few miles and faded.

      Better rocks tomorrow - Bruce, N5SIX
    • Paul Whatton
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
        Hi all

        I was amazed yesterday to work Dave W5UN and Dimitry RA3AQ on 2m EME
        using a 3 element WB2HOL DF yagi made from a steel tape measure.

        http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.whatton/dfeme.htm

        I hope you find it interesting? It's an example of what can be done with
        WSJT and a big gun at the other end!

        73 Paul G4DCV
      • Don AE5K
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
          Paul Whatton wrote:
          > Hi all
          >
          > I was amazed yesterday to work Dave W5UN and Dimitry RA3AQ on 2m EME
          > using a 3 element WB2HOL DF yagi made from a steel tape measure.
          >
          > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.whatton/dfeme.htm
          >
          > I hope you find it interesting? It's an example of what can be done with
          > WSJT and a big gun at the other end!
          >
          > 73 Paul G4DCV

          Congrats Paul! Amazing! I have used one of those tape measure beams
          for DF foxhunting but never imagined being able to do EME with it. I've
          taken the liberty of forwarding your message on to the rather dead
          EME@... reflector and its nearly 200 members for their
          information.

          73,
          Don AE5K
        • Wayne Steury
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
            Paul, Thanks for that very interesting story. That gives me hope. I have a
            Yaesu ft857D and an 11 element beam I must point toward the horizon. Maybe
            I will try just aiming my other 11 el at the moon some clear night.
            73s

            Wayne N9EGT

            > I was amazed yesterday to work Dave W5UN and Dimitry RA3AQ on 2m EME
            > using a 3 element WB2HOL DF yagi made from a steel tape measure.
            >
            > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.whatton/dfeme.htm
            >
            > I hope you find it interesting? It's an example of what can be done with
            > WSJT and a big gun at the other end!
            >
            > 73 Paul G4DCV

            > --

          • Paul Whatton
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
              Hi Wayne

              My 9 element is currently fixed on the horizon and although I've worked
              6 of the big stations at moonrise or moonset it is always a struggle
              because I live in a noisy town. I intend to do exactly the same as you,
              either add elevation using a satellite actuator or use a separate yagi
              on a low mast.

              When you elevate your antenna you loose the ground gain. But in my case
              that is much more than compensated by the drop in the noise floor. If
              you can't hear them you can't work them! In any case at this QTH the
              ground reflection will be broken by the built environment and I'd be
              very surprised if I had much if any real ground gain. Sam RN6BN peaked
              at -18 on the DF yagi which is 2dB better than I have ever heard him on
              the 9 element at moonrise. Which just shows how bad the noise floor is
              on the horizontal yagi.

              If you want an example of what can be done with a single yagi and
              elevation take a look at Matej OK1TEH's web site. It is a real
              inspiration. He's using just 100 watts and a 10 element DK7ZB yagi:
              http://www.home.karneval.cz/00000104/eme.htm

              So go for it! You'll work loads!

              73 Paul G4DCV

              Wayne Steury wrote:
              > Paul, Thanks for that very interesting story. That gives me hope. I
              > have a
              > Yaesu ft857D and an 11 element beam I must point toward the horizon.
              > Maybe
              > I will try just aiming my other 11 el at the moon some clear night.
              > 73s
              >
              > Wayne N9EGT
            • Paul Whatton
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 14, 2005
                Thanks Don

                It is of course really the achievement of guys like Dave W5UN and Dmitry
                RA3AQ who have put enormous amounts of time and money into their
                stations so the rest of us can work them with a piece of wet string!

                But I have to admit not having had so much fun with amateur radio for a
                long time!

                73 Paul G4DCV

                Don AE5K wrote:
                > Paul Whatton wrote:
                > > Hi all
                > >
                > > I was amazed yesterday to work Dave W5UN and Dimitry RA3AQ on 2m EME
                > > using a 3 element WB2HOL DF yagi made from a steel tape measure.
                > >
                > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.whatton/dfeme.htm
                > >
                > > I hope you find it interesting? It's an example of what can be done
                > with
                > > WSJT and a big gun at the other end!
                > >
                > > 73 Paul G4DCV
                >
                > Congrats Paul! Amazing! I have used one of those tape measure beams
                > for DF foxhunting but never imagined being able to do EME with it. I've
                > taken the liberty of forwarding your message on to the rather dead
                > EME@... reflector and its nearly 200 members for their
                > information.
                >
                > 73,
                > Don AE5K

              • Andy GD0TEP
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 16, 2005
                  Hi,

                  Just downloaded version 5.9.0, but ran into problems straight away.

                  As soon as I run the programme, it puts the radio into TX, and no matter
                  what I try, I can't get it back into RX.

                  I'm using:
                  P4 1.8ghz, 1.5Mb ram, XPpro SP2 and Rigexpert sound card. (external)

                  The first window (the one that looks like a DOS box) reports that I have
                  Microsoft sound mapper for both input and output, and is using this as the
                  default device. Although it also report that the rigexpert is there, it's
                  not using it and I can't see how to change that...

                  Any ideas?

                  Andy
                  http://gd0tep.com
                • Richard
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 16, 2005
                    In that dos screen find out what the rigexpert device number for input
                    and output are. mine was 2 input and 5 output.
                    Now go to the options screen on wsjt and put those numbers into the
                    input and output boxes.. then find out what comport your rigexpert is
                    on and put that number into the com port box. That should get your
                    started.

                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Andy GD0TEP" <andy@g...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Just downloaded version 5.9.0, but ran into problems straight away.
                    >
                    > As soon as I run the programme, it puts the radio into TX, and no matter
                    > what I try, I can't get it back into RX.
                    >
                    > I'm using:
                    > P4 1.8ghz, 1.5Mb ram, XPpro SP2 and Rigexpert sound card. (external)
                    >
                    > The first window (the one that looks like a DOS box) reports that I have
                    > Microsoft sound mapper for both input and output, and is using this
                    as the
                    > default device. Although it also report that the rigexpert is there,
                    it's
                    > not using it and I can't see how to change that...
                    >
                    > Any ideas?
                    >

                    > Andy
                    > http://gd0tep.com

                  • Andy GD0TEP
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 16, 2005
                      >go to the options screen on wsjt and put those numbers into the
                      >input and output boxes.. then find out what comport your rigexpert is
                      >on and put that number into the com port box. That should get your
                      >started.

                      Well, not quite...

                      I changed the setting, mine's on 1 and 3, but it still remains in TX.. I can
                      get tones out when clicking on any of the TX buttons, so something's
                      'almost' right, but not totally right.

                      I'll keep looking/playing with it... it's bound to be something simple...

                      Andy
                      http://gd0tep.com

                      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Andy GD0TEP" <andy@g...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Just downloaded version 5.9.0, but ran into problems straight away.
                      >
                      > As soon as I run the programme, it puts the radio into TX, and no matter
                      > what I try, I can't get it back into RX.
                      >
                      > I'm using:
                      > P4 1.8ghz, 1.5Mb ram, XPpro SP2 and Rigexpert sound card. (external)
                      >
                      > The first window (the one that looks like a DOS box) reports that I have
                      > Microsoft sound mapper for both input and output, and is using this
                      as the
                      > default device. Although it also report that the rigexpert is there,
                      it's
                      > not using it and I can't see how to change that...
                      >
                      > Any ideas?
                      >

                      > Andy
                      > http://gd0tep.com

                      To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Philip
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 19, 2005
                        Andy,

                        I have exactly the same problem as you with the latest version of
                        WSJT 5.9.0 and my 'RigExpert' interface to my Kenwood TS-2000, in
                        fact I had the same problem with the previous version 5.8.6 too.

                        The old versions of WSJT 4.9.6 and 3.8.1, which I still have work
                        fine and I have tried various combinations of in/out settings, but it
                        still remains locked in transmit although there is no output on my TS-
                        2000. If I select one of the Rigexpert 'out' or 'in' numbers, but not
                        BOTH at the same time then it isn't locked in transmit, but will only
                        either RX or TX. This has only started happening with these latest
                        versions of WSJT, which is frustrating.

                        Strange that with my MixW software and the RigExpert interface I also
                        don't get this problem, BUT when I use that combination my audio
                        devices in my computer are both 'VIA AC'97 Audio (WAVE)' and for WSJT
                        I have to change them both to 'MixW RigExpert' for all versions of
                        WSJT.

                        If ever you do manage to solve this puzzle, please let me know as I
                        have been a WSJT user from the start (years ago)and I would like to
                        use the latest versions rather than having to stop at version 4.9.6.

                        Regards

                        Philip G0ISW

                        http://www.qsl.net/g0isw
                      • Philip
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 25, 2005
                          I see that there is a similar thread running now on the MixW RigExpert
                          group. It looks quite a few of us are struggling to use the latest WSJT
                          software with our interfaces.

                          Logic suggests that as my old versions of WSJT do work with the
                          interface that the problem might either lie in a change in the software
                          code and/or a driver problem?

                          The RigExpert interface works as a virtual soundcard on Comm port 13
                          and this leaves the computer soundcard free, as well as providing CAT
                          control for the transceiver.

                          Has anyone on this group got their RigExpert to work with the latest
                          WSJT version? The problem lies with selecting, at the same time, the
                          RigExperts in and out ports via WSJT.

                          Regards

                          Philip G0ISW
                        • Andy GD0TEP
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 25, 2005
                            >>Has anyone on this group got their RigExpert to work with the latest
                            >>WSJT version? The problem lies with selecting, at the same time, the
                            >>RigExpert in and out ports via WSJT.

                            Hi Philip,

                            I tried and tried, but couldn't get the latest version to work with my
                            Rigexpert, the one suggestion regarding selecting the ports (I think it was)
                            didn't work either.

                            Mine would go into TX as soon as the software started, if I clicked any of
                            the TX button, the interface would play the tones ok, but just no RX... :-(

                            Looks like there is a few of us who will be stuck with the previous version
                            for now.

                            Cheers

                            Andy
                            http://gd0tep.com
                          • Philip
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 4, 2005
                              Andy,

                              I found this on the MixW RigExpert site:

                              "The Virtual Communication Port (VCP) driver is needed to provide a low-
                              level operating system support for the MixW RigExpert. After installing
                              the driver, the device appears to the system as an extra COMxx port (in
                              addition to any existing COM ports).

                              The Virtual COM Port is created by the driver for internal use only.
                              This means that you can not use this "COMxx" with software which does
                              not support the MixW RigExpert device directly."

                              I wonder if this means that if we ask Joe Taylor very nicely, he might
                              be able to help all us guys out by making the latest version of WSJT
                              compatable?

                              Regards

                              Philip G0ISW
                            • Dmitry Dmitriev
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 4, 2005
                                Hi, Philipp.

                                I'm not user of RigExpert, but perhaps this one can help you -
                                http://www.eltima.com/download/vspdxp/

                                --
                                73 de Dmitry/RA3AQ