Re: [wsjtgroup] sound cards

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2005
      Peter --

      Peter L. Jackson wrote:
      > Hello Joe and fellow group members,
      >
      > I have been following this debate about sound cards with interest as its
      > a popular theme at the moment that crops up on various forums.
      > In your email to the group Joe ...
      >
      > />>>>The noise that the WSJT decoders must cope with is a combination of
      > cosmic noise, atmospheric noise, and receiver noise; sound card noise is
      > many tens of dB's weaker, and entirely negligible.<<<<</
      >
      > I take it that the referral to sound card noise is reference to the
      > particular chip set used along with associated components making up the
      > particular sound card.
      >
      > If the card is placed external as in the case of a USB sound card, wont the
      > chance of internal injected hum, inter mods etc. be greatly reduced
      > than if residing internally in the PC.
      > Wouldn't S/R also be improved whether one is using WSJT or monitoring on a
      > waterfall looking at weak signal's in general ?

      There is no reason for any well made sound card to introduce hum or
      distortion just because it is located inside a PC. Hum is almost always
      indicative of a ground-loop problem, and can usually be resolved with an
      audio isolation transformer between radio and computer. In addition,
      WSJT is relatively immune to hum because 50/60 Hz and the first
      half-dozen harmonics are well below the WSJT frequency range.

      > Also can low latency ASIO audio drivers that allow high speed cw and
      > fast TR transition be also be of benefit ?
      > This seems to be the holy grail that the sdr-1000 flex radio forum
      > members are seeking to achieve.

      No significant benefits to WSJT, which does not need extremely low latency.