Re: [wsjtgroup] Help!

  • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
      Grant,
      I'm sorting through over 100 e-mail from the past week, so I appologize
      if this has already been said! The most common reason for this is that
      you are not on frequency with the other station. You need to be within
      200 Hz of the other guy for the program to decode reliably. Just
      because your radio has a digital readout doesn't mean it is right--my
      FT-290R/II is 500Hz "low" so I have to compensate everytime I run a sked.

      Other possiblities are
      1) DSP reduction/filtering --In every case that I have seen, DSP NR will
      butchcer a FSK441ping, along with packet or any other medium-high-speed
      data signal.

      2) AGC. The program looks at spikes in AF ampitude as possible "ping
      candidates" in the decoding process. Haveing your AGC on will defeat
      this purpose. If you have a selectable AGC, set it to "fast" or "off".
      A manual decode by right-clicking should still work in this case.

      If you still have throuble, e-mail me a wav file of a ping that doesn't
      decode and I'll try to spit out a diagnosis. Best thing to do is to
      keep running some skeds with experienced stations in the 800-1000mi
      range. Most of them can halp you track down the problem on the air too.
      Tony, WA8RJF, is also active in your square if you want to local help.

      Good luck!
      Andy K0SM/2

      Grant Hedrick wrote:

      >Help!
      >I have installed WSJT, but I am getting only garbage. I followed the
      >instructions I found on the web to calibrate the levels between radio &
      >soundcard, but perhaps I missed something? I heard a few really long pings
      >last night, but got no intelligible text. What am I doing wrong!!!
      >
      >I have attached a screen shot showing a couple pings. Someone, PLEASE point
      >me in the right direction!
      >
      >TNX,
      >Grant
      >N0XIL
      >EN91go

      > <cid:part1.05080207.07020805@...>

    • Don
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
        Hi Grant:

        I am new at this also so not sure what I have to throw out will do
        you any good but I will put my 2 cents in anyway. Along with Andy
        and Tip here they always have the answers and I have been reading on
        their and many other websites on this program......I did look at your
        screen shot you have posted and I am not sure if I am right or not
        but seems like these possible pings you have seen are at the same
        intervals which to me might indicate an interference problem or noise
        pulse...also I say this because Andy has indicated before that if the
        line goes all the way from bottom to top it usually is static or
        noise...most pings do not go from top to bottom (or so is my
        understanding and watching of my screen). I also would like to put
        out that I too downloaded the program and like most guys did not
        fully research or read the manual and was in a hurry to try out my
        new find....downloaded the program....installed it my machine....got
        on the PingJocky page.... found where a couple guys were trying a
        FSK441 QSO and tuned to that frequency and let the program run on
        monitor........humm.....seen some lines...but no decode...yet the Ham
        north of me some 20 miles got many pings and decode 100% and
        completed the QSO. In seeking out more information I now use my
        headphones so I can hear what is going on as I did not do that before
        and to me it is a must now as a ping has a distinct sound and line on
        the screen.....in listening blindly thinking the program would know
        all to be done I realized I have many birdies and much noise to
        overcome and by using the headphones I can hear all this and also
        even a light ping. Just my thoughts from another newbie here.

        de kb9umt Don EN50dp

        --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Grant Hedrick" <grant@t...> wrote:
        > Help!
        > I have installed WSJT, but I am getting only garbage. I followed
        the
        > instructions I found on the web to calibrate the levels between
        radio &
        > soundcard, but perhaps I missed something? I heard a few really
        long pings
        > last night, but got no intelligible text. What am I doing wrong!!!
        >
        > I have attached a screen shot showing a couple pings. Someone,
        PLEASE point
        > me in the right direction!
        >
        > TNX,
        > Grant
        > N0XIL
        > EN91go
      • Anthony L .Ferguson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
          Hello Folks,

          I know I have been a pest on the bands, but this stuff is fun! I hope
          I can hopefully find someone that may have or know where I might get
          my grubby little hands on a copy of an owner manual and schematic for
          a LUNAR AMPLIFIER model 6M10-120P.

          I don't have the funds to run with the big gun stations but this will
          help me out from what I normaly run , I normaly run 50 watts or less
          from this ICOM 706MK2G so I will be able to run at least 120watts or
          maybe a little more , has to help!!! HI HI .

          See you on the bands 73 de KB4ZGO
        • Mark Hambrice
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
            Hi Tony!

            First, thanks for the 6m FSK441 run this morning. It'd been quite a
            while since I'd been able to work the rocks.

            Secondly, I believe you can get the manual from W7FG Vintage Manuals.
            The URL to his site is:

            http://www.w7fg.com/index.html

            I'm not affiliated with the business, it just came up on a search.

            73,
            Mark, KØXXX

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony L .Ferguson"