Scatter in the 60's

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
      Hello,
      Just wondering if anyone here was around and opperated MS in the
      60's..
      I did and had consistant contacts on CW and now and then on SSB..
      My old opperating freq. was 50.016 CW..
      Those in the North sent the first 2 and 1/2 min. and those in the
      South sent the second 2 and 1/2 or maybe the other way around..its
      been
      awhile..
      From up here West of Seattle I made consistant contacts into Los
      Angeles and San Diego every weekend..
      W7CNK and K7BBO were the "top guns" up here then,
      I was a "newbie"
      Running a Drake 2B receiver with a Parks convertor, and old Heathkit
      HX-30 into a homebrew 4-250A Amp to a Hygain 6 el...

      We didn't have computers back then, just alot of patience and a good
      ear, and clock with a sweep hand matching WWV..

      Just thought I'd interject a little nostalgia for others,
      I'm not bragging,even though it was a real challenge back then...
      My call then was WA7BTG which kinda made my wrist tired sending it..
      We included full calls, a signal report, and a r.r.r.r. for
      verification.. I must add though it helped having foreknowledge of
      what frequency each person was transmitting on, back then we used
      one
      particular freq., even though it didn't belong to us exclusively, we
      used to stick to them, now people are telling me all of those
      below 50.010 are reserved for beacons, perhaps they could still
      be shared durring off peak times..

      Best that I can recall, CW is allowed on 50 to 50.4 MCs.. not mhz
      you guys.. as long as your not interfering with someone else you are
      allowed to transmit anywhere in this range on CW...

      Anyone done scatter here without the aid of a "puter" ? ... don't
      get mad, just asking..
      Best of 73's,
      Kim
      K7DGI
      Belfair Wa
    • jim bennett
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
        Ran meteor skeds the old fashioned way for many many years, solely on two meters, so it was even tuffer than 6....bursts were much shorter. It was an awful lot of fun. Ran weekly with K1WHS on Sat and Sun mornings and we had about a 90% success rate. My first MS contact was with K0MQS (1st WAS on 144) also ran a lot with W2UK another call from the past.

        I still get the same thrill with WSJT when I hear that burst come thru.

        Jim K4KAE

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
          Kim K7DGI wrote:

          > Subject: [wsjtgroup] Scatter in the 60's
          >
          > Hello,
          > Just wondering if anyone here was around and opperated MS in
          > the 60's..
          > I did and had consistant contacts on CW and now and then on SSB..
          > My old opperating freq. was 50.016 CW..
          > Those in the North sent the first 2 and 1/2 min. and those in
          > the South sent the second 2 and 1/2 or maybe the other way
          > around..its been awhile..
          > From up here West of Seattle I made consistant contacts into
          > Los Angeles and San Diego every weekend..
          > W7CNK and K7BBO were the "top guns" up here then, I was a "newbie"
          > Running a Drake 2B receiver with a Parks convertor, and old
          > Heathkit HX-30 into a homebrew 4-250A Amp to a Hygain 6 el...

          Hello Kim. Yeah, I did - but not on six meters. Two meters was the game
          then - and now, for me. On six scatter is a lot easier, but generally not
          necessary as all one has to do is wait for some e-skip and he will work a
          lot more. And of course one can run scatter on six meter SSB most any day.
          But I got my WAS on six without any scatter work. HSMS has opened up a
          whole new way though, making it even easier and making DX contacts possible
          most any time without having a big station or waiting for an opening.

          Ran a lot of scatter on two meters on CW and later on SSB. Even did the
          tape recorder thing to try high speed CW for MS. That did not work out too
          well as it was hard to find anyone else who wanted to try it back in the
          seventies.

          I'll always remember making my first Georgia contact with K4GL on MS CW.
          There was so much Doppler shift on the meteor bursts that I had to keep one
          hand on the tuning knob of the old NC300 to keep him in the passband during
          the burns. But boy was he loud!

          I managed to work 36 states on 2 back then. But when I moved from Western
          NY (now FN02) out here to SNJ (FM29) in 1982 I had to start all over again.
          Of course meteor scatter was a big part of my plan, but it was all SSB by
          then. With the help of the meteor scatter net on 75 meter SSB, I was soon
          back up to my original states total. I think there was a whole lot more
          activity by big stations back then than at most any time before or since.
          Then I put up 4 Yagis, got on moonbounce and completed my WAS and WAC. But
          meteor scatter has always been one of my favorite modes and first HSCW and
          now HSMS with WSJT has made it possible to do it a lot more.

          Back when I moved there was a new thing called "grid squares". With the
          help of meteor scatter I managed to work my first 100 grids on 2 meters in
          just over 3 months, earning me VUCC certificate #35. A fantastic opening in
          the September contest that year was a great help too. Now I'm at about 420
          grids and still having lots of fun on 2. My latest thing now is counting
          countries on 2. But I doubt I will ever make DXCC. Currently at 46 - but
          just maybe if I keep at it...

          I enjoy working the higher bands, 432, 1296, and 10 GHz as well, but 2
          meters is my favorite and I guess it always will be.

          Thanks for starting me on that trip down memory lane.

          73, Russ K2TXB

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005
            Kim --

            Thanks for your reminder about the good old days!

            I first became a meteor-scatter fanatic in 1957 or 1958. I was in high
            school then -- my call was K2ITP, and my brother was K2ITQ. Together we
            built a 6-meter rig with a 4-400A in the final, with close to a KW input
            on CW or plate modulated AM phone. Rx was a home brew converter into an
            ARC-5 receiver, and our antenna was a 5 element yagi. Our key was a
            home made "bug" using a hacksaw blade end as the vibrating spring,
            loaded at the free end with about a dozen tightly would turns of solder.

            We ran Saturday morning CW skeds with W4IKK in Tennessee and W4RMU in
            Florida. We used 30 second transmissions, and found that we could work
            essentially any time we tried, within 15-30 minutes.

            In 1959 I went off to college, and didn't make another meteor scatter
            QSO until 2001.

            I still get a thrill when I hear an unexpectedly good ping from a
            station 1000 miles away, on a dead band!

            -- 73, Joe, K1JT

            Kim wrote:
            > Hello,
            > Just wondering if anyone here was around and opperated MS in the
            > 60's..
            > I did and had consistant contacts on CW and now and then on SSB..
            > My old opperating freq. was 50.016 CW..
            > Those in the North sent the first 2 and 1/2 min. and those in the
            > South sent the second 2 and 1/2 or maybe the other way around..its
            > been
            > awhile..
            > From up here West of Seattle I made consistant contacts into Los
            > Angeles and San Diego every weekend..
            > W7CNK and K7BBO were the "top guns" up here then,
            > I was a "newbie"
            > Running a Drake 2B receiver with a Parks convertor, and old Heathkit
            > HX-30 into a homebrew 4-250A Amp to a Hygain 6 el...
            >
            > We didn't have computers back then, just alot of patience and a good
            > ear, and clock with a sweep hand matching WWV..
            >
            > Just thought I'd interject a little nostalgia for others,
            > I'm not bragging,even though it was a real challenge back then...
            > My call then was WA7BTG which kinda made my wrist tired sending it..
            > We included full calls, a signal report, and a r.r.r.r. for
            > verification.. I must add though it helped having foreknowledge of
            > what frequency each person was transmitting on, back then we used
            > one
            > particular freq., even though it didn't belong to us exclusively, we
            > used to stick to them, now people are telling me all of those
            > below 50.010 are reserved for beacons, perhaps they could still
            > be shared durring off peak times..
            >
            > Best that I can recall, CW is allowed on 50 to 50.4 MCs.. not mhz
            > you guys.. as long as your not interfering with someone else you are
            > allowed to transmit anywhere in this range on CW...
            >
            > Anyone done scatter here without the aid of a "puter" ? ... don't
            > get mad, just asking..
            > Best of 73's,
            > Kim
            > K7DGI
            > Belfair Wa
          • Russ K2TXB
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 25, 2005

              Joe Taylor wrote:

              > Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] Scatter in the
              60's

              > ...We ran Saturday morning CW skeds with W4IKK in Tennessee
              and
              > W4RMU in Florida.  We used 30 second transmissions, and
              found
              > that we could work essentially any time we tried, within

              15-30 minutes.

              Joe, I wonder if that was Paul Wilson, W4HHK, you are speaking of?  If so, he was one of the very early pioneers of meteor scatter communications and having worked with him is really great.  I wish I had known him.  I only ever worked him once, on 13 CM EME, from K2UYH.  Here is a picture of him and his dish from the front cover of QST, March 1968.  Maybe it won't come through on the list, so I will send this message to you directly as well.

              73, Russ K2TXB

              Paul Wilson, W4HHK, appeared on the cover of the March 1965 QST with his 18-foot dish mounted on a 35-foot high platform.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 26, 2005
                Russ --

                I knew about Paul Wilson, of course. He was indeed a pioneer in many
                VHF/UHF areas -- but as far as I know not especially on 6 meters.

                W4IKK lived on Signal Mountain, Tennessee, and had a big signal on 6 in
                those days. He was a good mentor to my brother and me; after our weekly
                skeds we nearly always exchanged letters in which we discussed the
                results of the Saturday morning sked, planned station improvements, etc.

                -- Joe, K1JT

                Russ K2TXB wrote:

                > Joe Taylor wrote:
                >
                > > Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] Scatter in the 60's
                > >
                > > ...We ran Saturday morning CW skeds with W4IKK in Tennessee and
                > > W4RMU in Florida. We used 30 second transmissions, and found
                > > that we could work essentially any time we tried, within
                > > 15-30 minutes.
                >
                > Joe, I wonder if that was Paul Wilson, W4HHK, you are speaking of? If
                > so, he was one of the very early pioneers of meteor scatter
                > communications and having worked with him is really great. I wish I had
                > known him. I only ever worked him once, on 13 CM EME, from K2UYH. Here
                > is a picture of him and his dish from the front cover of QST, March
                > 1968. Maybe it won't come through on the list, so I will send this
                > message to you directly as well.
                >
                > 73, Russ K2TXB
                >
                > Paul Wilson, W4HHK, appeared on the cover of the March 1965 QST with his
                > 18-foot dish mounted on a 35-foot high platform.
                > <http://www.n4mw.com/photod.jpg>

              • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 26, 2005
                  Good Morning Gang:

                  Thanks for the great discussion. I didn't quite make the 60's. I got
                  involved from Arkansas as K5MWH in the early 70's. K2TXB and others can
                  probably find me in their logs. I worked 47 states and was in line for one
                  of the 1st 10 WAS on 2 mtrs, but packed it in and moved to Oklahoma further
                  my career. One of the most exciting events was working WA6LET off of the
                  moon. Also made the 1st Ark to NV contact with Al, K7ICW. Mostly CW in
                  those days(all 2 mtrs). I still enjoy MS but it isn't as much fin as it
                  was then. (primarily because can no longer stay awake for those wee hour
                  skeds, some of which I slept through until a big burst came along, woke me
                  up, & scared the hell outta me at the same time. Great discussion.

                  73,
                  Mike, W5UC

                  At 09:00 AM 10/26/2005 -0400, you wrote:

                  >Russ --
                  >
                  >I knew about Paul Wilson, of course. He was indeed a pioneer in many
                  >VHF/UHF areas -- but as far as I know not especially on 6 meters.
                  >
                  >W4IKK lived on Signal Mountain, Tennessee, and had a big signal on 6 in
                  >those days. He was a good mentor to my brother and me; after our weekly
                  >skeds we nearly always exchanged letters in which we discussed the
                  >results of the Saturday morning sked, planned station improvements, etc.
                  >
                  > -- Joe, K1JT
                  >
                  >Russ K2TXB wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Joe Taylor wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Subject: Re: [wsjtgroup] Scatter in the 60's
                  > > >
                  > > > ...We ran Saturday morning CW skeds with W4IKK in Tennessee and
                  > > > W4RMU in Florida. We used 30 second transmissions, and found
                  > > > that we could work essentially any time we tried, within
                  > > > 15-30 minutes.
                  > >
                  > > Joe, I wonder if that was Paul Wilson, W4HHK, you are speaking of? If
                  > > so, he was one of the very early pioneers of meteor scatter
                  > > communications and having worked with him is really great. I wish I had
                  > > known him. I only ever worked him once, on 13 CM EME, from K2UYH. Here
                  > > is a picture of him and his dish from the front cover of QST, March
                  > > 1968. Maybe it won't come through on the list, so I will send this
                  > > message to you directly as well.
                  > >
                  > > 73, Russ K2TXB
                  > >
                  > > Paul Wilson, W4HHK, appeared on the cover of the March 1965 QST with his
                  > > 18-foot dish mounted on a 35-foot high platform.
                  > > <http://www.n4mw.com/photod.jpg>
                  > >

                  >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                  >
                  >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
                  >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >

                  >--
                • Randy Tipton
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 29, 2005
                    I to enjoyed reading the discussion from the meteor scatter
                    pioneers.

                    For those who remember the "good old days" of ssb meteor scatter on
                    six meters you might be interested in the Feb 2006 Digital On Six
                    Dead Band Contest. The contest rules allow ssb meteor scatter
                    contacts and also FSK441 and JT6M contacts in a hope to revitalize
                    meteor scatter on 50.125 . I suppose if enough stations wanted to
                    make meteor scatter cw contacts valid during the contest it would be
                    considered. Or maybe give a bonus point for a single cw meteor
                    scatter contact. Take a look at the rules
                    http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Misc/DOSContest.htm

                    Also remember the WSJTGROUP Winter Contest. The rules are posted on
                    the WebPage.

                    Thanks
                    Tip

                    --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)"
                    <w5uc@c...> wrote:

                    > Good Morning Gang:
                    >
                    > Thanks for the great discussion. I didn't quite make the 60's. I
                    got
                    > involved from Arkansas as K5MWH in the early 70's. K2TXB and
                    others can
                    > probably find me in their logs. I worked 47 states and was in line
                    for one
                    > of the 1st 10 WAS on 2 mtrs, but packed it in and moved to
                    Oklahoma further
                    > my career. One of the most exciting events was working WA6LET off
                    of the
                    > moon. Also made the 1st Ark to NV contact with Al, K7ICW. Mostly
                    CW in
                    > those days(all 2 mtrs). I still enjoy MS but it isn't as much fin
                    as it
                    > was then. (primarily because can no longer stay awake for those
                    wee hour
                    > skeds, some of which I slept through until a big burst came
                    along, woke me
                    > up, & scared the hell outta me at the same time. Great discussion.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Mike, W5UC
                    >

                    > At 09:00 AM 10/26/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                    >
                    > >Russ --
                    > >
                    > >I knew about Paul Wilson, of course. He was indeed a pioneer in
                    many
                    > >VHF/UHF areas -- but as far as I know not especially on 6 meters.
                    > >
                    > >W4IKK lived on Signal Mountain, Tennessee, and had a big signal
                    on 6 in
                    > >those days. He was a good mentor to my brother and me; after our
                    weekly
                    > >skeds we nearly always exchanged letters in which we discussed the
                    > >results of the Saturday morning sked, planned station
                    improvements, etc.

                    > > -- Joe, K1JT
                    > >
                    > >Russ K2TXB wrote:

                    > > > Joe, I wonder if that was Paul Wilson, W4HHK, you are speaking
                    of? If
                    > > > so, he was one of the very early pioneers of meteor scatter
                    > > > communications and having worked with him is really great. I
                    wish I had
                    > > > known him. I only ever worked him once, on 13 CM EME, from
                    K2UYH. Here
                    > > > is a picture of him and his dish from the front cover of QST,
                    March
                    > > > 1968. Maybe it won't come through on the list, so I will send
                    this
                    > > > message to you directly as well.
                    > > >
                    > > > 73, Russ K2TXB
                    > > >
                    > > > Paul Wilson, W4HHK, appeared on the cover of the March 1965
                    QST with his
                    > > > 18-foot dish mounted on a 35-foot high platform.
                    > > > <http://www.n4mw.com/photod.jpg>
                    > > >

                    > >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
                    > >
                    > >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
                    > >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
                    > >

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                    > >

                    > >--
                    10/21/2005

                  • James McKellips
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 29, 2005
                      Hi Filks,
                      I was around in the 60s but really got into MS and troppo in the 70s. I
                      worked W7N in WA on MS good signals both way. Also worked WA6HXM in Palos
                      Verdes Penninsula for Lodi CA. We dodn't use numbers in those days. This
                      tread got me to looking at my old QSL cards and brought back a lot of fond
                      memories!

                      73,
                      Jim, W4NFT was WB6NFT back in the old days.
                    • Matt Patterson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 29, 2005
                        Okay, got WSJT setup according to the primer. So I'm all good to go there.
                        Now would like to see if I can complete my first contact. Is there anyone
                        out there who would be willing to give it a try? I have a M2 2M5WL @ 60'
                        and 450 watts. I'm in EM23

                        I'll be away from the radio for a few hours this afternoon 6pm-8pm or so but
                        would be available anytime after that.

                        73 Matt
                        W5LL
                      • ab3bk
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 29, 2005
                          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Patterson" <mattpatt@1...> wrote:

                          > Okay, got WSJT setup according to the primer. So I'm all good to
                          go there.
                          > Now would like to see if I can complete my first contact. Is there
                          anyone
                          > out there who would be willing to give it a try? I have a M2 2M5WL
                          @ 60'
                          > and 450 watts. I'm in EM23
                          >
                          > I'll be away from the radio for a few hours this afternoon 6pm-8pm
                          or so but
                          > would be available anytime after that.
                          >
                          > 73 Matt
                          > W5LL

                          Hello Matt and welcome. Myself, and I'm sure many others, have made
                          their first contact by utilizing a chat page called PingJockey
                          Central. You can usually find someone on that page to run with you.
                          Of course, you can always call CQ on 50.260 or 144.140. Remember,
                          western stations go first, so depending on where you are pointed will
                          determine what sequence you are on.

                          Good Luck
                          Check out the gang here... http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk/

                          Dave AB3BK
                        • Ira Franklin
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 29, 2005
                            Hi Matt, welcome to wsjt, it is a great program. I currently work wsjt on 6 meters only, my 2m-5wl is still on ground. Hopefully you work 6 also.

                            73 and good luck
                            Ira  K4YMQ  EM63uo in Alabama

                            Matt Patterson <mattpatt@...> wrote:

                            Okay,  got WSJT setup according to the primer.  So I'm all good to go there.
                            Now would like to see if I can complete my first contact.  Is there anyone
                            out there who would be willing to give it a try?  I have a M2 2M5WL @ 60'
                            and 450 watts.  I'm in EM23

                            I'll be away from the radio for a few hours this afternoon 6pm-8pm or so but
                            would be available anytime after that.

                            73 Matt
                            W5LL

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          • Matt Patterson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 29, 2005
                              rgr rgr for 6m have 9el homebrew yagi at 95' and 350 watts.

                              73 Matt
                              W5LL

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 4, 2005

                                Good to see that picture. My elmer K4ZJ (now a sk, someone in GA has his call) took me by to see that dish when I was maybe 18 or 19 (late 70’s). We were in Memphis for another reason which I forget. But unfortunately Paul was not home at the time and I did not get to see the goodies inside. HHK’s station is/was about 60 miles from here.

                                73

                                Chuck
                                AF4O