Calling frequency use

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2005
      Last Saturday at the tail end of random hour, I was in qso with K4OZS who
      had called me on 50.260. It became obvious the contact was going to be
      difficult so after several minutes I suggested we use "Sh Messages" and make
      the completion; especially since it was Larry's first meteor scatter
      contact. Well, it took some time to complete and several of you probably
      heard my single tones on the calling frequency. Larry and I did complete
      but I can see now since we were both on PJ I should have recommended we move
      to another frequency and continue with sh messages. I guess we all get
      caught up in the excitement of a contact from time to time and forget about
      the proper use of the calling frequencies.

      Most of us are aware of the proper use of "Random Hour" messages on the
      calling frequencies. I find it down right frustrating to copy pings on the
      calling frequency only to see R26; 73 or RRR and not know who it is from or
      whom it was intended for! A Random Hour message removes those doubts and is
      actually a huge aid for everyone using the frequency at the time. The
      "Random Hour" message format is also good to use on skeds if all of a sudden
      you find the frequency has become a shared frequency.

      The standard now seems to be for stations to use the suffix or prefix (some
      combination of the other stations call that he will recognize) and append it
      ahead of messages 3,4 and 5. This process in not obvious, so it would be
      nice if it were automated somehow. (Any thoughts)

      With the increasing number of random contacts being made on 50.260 daily, I
      would like to encourage everyone, including me (hi), to use RH formats on
      the calling frequencies or use the offset method of calling CQ.

      If you have not listened to 50.260 during the mornings, I encourage you to
      monitor it as many stations are making contacts. Contacts are being made on
      two meters also but six meters seems to be the busiest here in my area.

      CU on .140 or .260

      Randy Tipton WA5UFH (Tip)
      Edna, Texas EL19pa
      Email : wa5ufh@...