RE: [wsjtgroup] Antenna usage on MS.

  • Arthur Jackson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
      I am not an antenna expert either, but I agree with
      Conrad. It is all Beamwidth.

      It has been the opinion of the older established
      Pingjockeys out there that high gain arrays are great
      for schedules, but lower gain arrays are better for
      randoms. Also a little elevation of the array can help
      too.

      David, you got the best of both worlds. Hear and ID
      them with the low gain array, then finish it with the
      K1FO.

      Speak of the devil, I got the same situation here. If
      I am around, I may experiment this during the
      Geminids.

      --- Conrad G0RUZ <conrad@...> wrote:
      > If I understand it correctly the horizontal
      > beamwidth of the shorter yagis
      > will be considerably wider, therefore you will
      > illuminate a larger area of
      > sky.
    • DAVID
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
        Yes. That is why I chose the secondary systems because of the wide
        beam width of 80 degrees as compared to the K1FO of about 40
        degrees. Vertical stacking should have a low radiation angle. Were
        you referring to the phase relationship within one system or
        relationship with the other systems causing lobes?

        --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Conrad G0RUZ" <conrad@g...> wrote:
        > If I understand it correctly the horizontal beamwidth of the
        shorter yagis
        > will be considerably wider, therefore you will illuminate a larger
        area of
        > sky. This is reciporical on rx of course. Additionally the lower
        antennas
        > may have some high angle radiation (although the vertical stacking
        should
        > minimise this) which is contributing. The phase relationship
        between the
        > multiple antennas could be causing lots of lobes which are
        undesirable on
        > tropo signals where the signal will maintain polarity and appear to
        come
        > from a more defined point at a lower angle of elevation.
        >
        > Of course this is just my belief but I could well be totally wrong.
        What do
        > the antenna experts have to say?
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Conrad G0RUZ

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Conrad G0RUZ
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
          When I re-read your posts I see that you can only select 1 system at a time,
          I was initially under the impression that you had the secondary array(s)
          into some kind of combiner like some of the contest groups use. As that is
          not the case the phase relationship will be well defined and the only
          possibility would be some minor high lobes from nearby reflections. All the
          antennas seem to be many wavelengths above ground so this is unlikey.

          I other words I made a mistake :-)

          Conrad G0RUZ

          Yes. That is why I chose the secondary systems because of the wide
          beam width of 80 degrees as compared to the K1FO of about 40
          degrees. Vertical stacking should have a low radiation angle. Were
          you referring to the phase relationship within one system or
          relationship with the other systems causing lobes?

          --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Conrad G0RUZ" <conrad@g...> wrote:
          > If I understand it correctly the horizontal beamwidth of the
          shorter yagis
          > will be considerably wider, therefore you will illuminate a larger
          area of
          > sky. This is reciporical on rx of course. Additionally the lower
          antennas
          > may have some high angle radiation (although the vertical stacking
          should
          > minimise this) which is contributing. The phase relationship
          between the
          > multiple antennas could be causing lots of lobes which are
          undesirable on
          > tropo signals where the signal will maintain polarity and appear to
          come
          > from a more defined point at a lower angle of elevation.
          >
          > Of course this is just my belief but I could well be totally wrong.
          What do
          > the antenna experts have to say?
          >
          > 73
          >
          > Conrad G0RUZ

        • kenneth
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
            Can anyone give me some idea on a antenna setup for 1 mtr and 70 cm ,I whant
            to put them on the same boom 1 144 on each end and the 70 cms in the middle.
            WSJT for EME /MS so I need the spaceings comments welcome

            ---