WSJT 5.8.6 Tone Level Settings, TX/RX Delay

  • Joseph A. Counsil
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
      Greetings,

      I have been using WSJT 5.8.6 the last couple of weeks, having upgraded
      from 4.9. Joe has done an excellent job of adding new features and
      integrating the package.

      There are two things I do not find in the new version which I needed
      in the old...

      1) Tone Level Settings - The old version had an option in the settings
      to tweak the audio level on each of the four tones. I found with my
      system that the tones were not all generating equal output from the
      radio, so was able to improve that by using these settings. With the
      new version, I don't find that capability anywhere (not even hidden in
      the configuration file in the WSJT program directory). Am I missing
      something?

      2) TX/RX Delay - The old version had an option to implement an RX
      delay time before the program would begin acquiring data when
      switching from TX to RX; and a TX delay time when switching from RX to
      TX. Again, I find no such option in any settings nor in the
      configuration file. Am I missing something?

      I need both of these options to optimally set up my system. My tone
      levels are several dB unequal, and I have TX/RX transients in my data
      acquisition.

      Thanks & 73,
      -Joe-
      K0OG
    • john flinn

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
          Joe --

          Here are a few quick answers to your questions.

          Joseph A. Counsil wrote:
          > Greetings,
          >
          > I have been using WSJT 5.8.6 the last couple of weeks, having upgraded
          > from 4.9. Joe has done an excellent job of adding new features and
          > integrating the package.
          >
          > There are two things I do not find in the new version which I needed
          > in the old...
          >
          > 1) Tone Level Settings - The old version had an option in the settings
          > to tweak the audio level on each of the four tones. I found with my
          > system that the tones were not all generating equal output from the
          > radio, so was able to improve that by using these settings. With the
          > new version, I don't find that capability anywhere (not even hidden in
          > the configuration file in the WSJT program directory). Am I missing
          > something?

          I decided that those tone adjustment boxes were a bad idea.

          Software solutions to hardware problems are generally "kludges". In
          this particular case, if different tones coming out of the soundcard
          have different amplitudes there will be sharp discontinuities in the
          audio waveform. This will produce out-of-band distortion products.

          One of the advantages of the FSK441 waveform, as designed, is that it
          has constant amplitude and continuous phase. This means that it
          produces less RFI/TVI than SSB or CW (because no amplitude modulation is
          present), and it means that you can use non-linear power amplifiers
          without introducing signal distortion.

          With radios that are just "a bit off", it generally works well to just
          turn up the Tx audio gain (or soundcard output) a bit, letting the
          stronger tone(s) saturate if need be. Because only one tone is present
          at any instant, this will *not* distort your FSK441 signal, or produce
          out-of-band splatter, the way it does with PSK31.

          > 2) TX/RX Delay - The old version had an option to implement an RX
          > delay time before the program would begin acquiring data when
          > switching from TX to RX; and a TX delay time when switching from RX to
          > TX. Again, I find no such option in any settings nor in the
          > configuration file. Am I missing something?
          >
          > I need both of these options to optimally set up my system. My tone
          > levels are several dB unequal, and I have TX/RX transients in my data
          > acquisition.

          I decided to simplify things and make these values fixed. The TxDelay
          is big enough that WSJT will not hot-switch your relays. Is there
          another reason that you need user control here? Are your switching
          transients producing garbage decodes, or something?

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        • James McKellips
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
            Hi Joe, K1JT,

            Is there going to be a user manual in pdf formate for the new version?

            Thanks and 73,
            Jim, W4NFT
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
              Yes, but I can't yet give you a projected delivery date.

              -- K1JT

              James McKellips wrote:
              > Hi Joe, K1JT,
              >
              > Is there going to be a user manual in pdf formate for the new version?
              >
              > Thanks and 73,
              > Jim, W4NFT
            • James McKellips
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
                Great! Thanks Joe!
                W4NFT

                At 01:35 PM 10/1/2005 -0400, you wrote:
                >Yes, but I can't yet give you a projected delivery date.
                >
                > -- K1JT
                >
                >James McKellips wrote:
                >> Hi Joe, K1JT,
                >>
                >> Is there going to be a user manual in pdf formate for the new version?
                >>
                >> Thanks and 73,
                >> Jim, W4NFT

              • Joseph A. Counsil
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2005
                  Joe,

                  I thought I would do a screen capture during this morning's RH to show
                  you the transient I am seeing at the end of the RX spectrogram. To
                  see the picture, look at:

                  http://www.rollanet.org/~counsil/wsjt_spectrogram.jpg

                  It would be nice if I could control the timing so that this transient
                  does not appear. I notice that sometimes the transient is decoded (it
                  is my own TX string).

                  Otherwise, all seems to be working well with 5.8.6.

                  73,
                  -Joe-