RE: [wsjtgroup] Antenna usage on MS.

  • Conrad G0RUZ
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
      If I understand it correctly the horizontal beamwidth of the shorter yagis
      will be considerably wider, therefore you will illuminate a larger area of
      sky. This is reciporical on rx of course. Additionally the lower antennas
      may have some high angle radiation (although the vertical stacking should
      minimise this) which is contributing. The phase relationship between the
      multiple antennas could be causing lots of lobes which are undesirable on
      tropo signals where the signal will maintain polarity and appear to come
      from a more defined point at a lower angle of elevation.

      Of course this is just my belief but I could well be totally wrong. What do
      the antenna experts have to say?

      73

      Conrad G0RUZ

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
        I am not an antenna expert either, but I agree with
        Conrad. It is all Beamwidth.

        It has been the opinion of the older established
        Pingjockeys out there that high gain arrays are great
        for schedules, but lower gain arrays are better for
        randoms. Also a little elevation of the array can help
        too.

        David, you got the best of both worlds. Hear and ID
        them with the low gain array, then finish it with the
        K1FO.

        Speak of the devil, I got the same situation here. If
        I am around, I may experiment this during the
        Geminids.

        --- Conrad G0RUZ <conrad@...> wrote:
        > If I understand it correctly the horizontal
        > beamwidth of the shorter yagis
        > will be considerably wider, therefore you will
        > illuminate a larger area of
        > sky.
      • DAVID
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
          Yes. That is why I chose the secondary systems because of the wide
          beam width of 80 degrees as compared to the K1FO of about 40
          degrees. Vertical stacking should have a low radiation angle. Were
          you referring to the phase relationship within one system or
          relationship with the other systems causing lobes?

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Conrad G0RUZ
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
            When I re-read your posts I see that you can only select 1 system at a time,
            I was initially under the impression that you had the secondary array(s)
            into some kind of combiner like some of the contest groups use. As that is
            not the case the phase relationship will be well defined and the only
            possibility would be some minor high lobes from nearby reflections. All the
            antennas seem to be many wavelengths above ground so this is unlikey.

            I other words I made a mistake :-)

            Conrad G0RUZ

            Yes. That is why I chose the secondary systems because of the wide
            beam width of 80 degrees as compared to the K1FO of about 40
            degrees. Vertical stacking should have a low radiation angle. Were
            you referring to the phase relationship within one system or
            relationship with the other systems causing lobes?

            --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Conrad G0RUZ" <conrad@g...> wrote:
            > If I understand it correctly the horizontal beamwidth of the
            shorter yagis
            > will be considerably wider, therefore you will illuminate a larger
            area of
            > sky. This is reciporical on rx of course. Additionally the lower
            antennas
            > may have some high angle radiation (although the vertical stacking
            should
            > minimise this) which is contributing. The phase relationship
            between the
            > multiple antennas could be causing lots of lobes which are
            undesirable on
            > tropo signals where the signal will maintain polarity and appear to
            come
            > from a more defined point at a lower angle of elevation.
            >
            > Of course this is just my belief but I could well be totally wrong.
            What do
            > the antenna experts have to say?
            >
            > 73
            >
            > Conrad G0RUZ

          • kenneth
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
              Can anyone give me some idea on a antenna setup for 1 mtr and 70 cm ,I whant
              to put them on the same boom 1 144 on each end and the 70 cms in the middle.
              WSJT for EME /MS so I need the spaceings comments welcome

              ---