Antenna usage on MS.

  • DAVID
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
      During the Leonids I noticed that I heard more rocks on my scondary
      antennas than my primary rven though they were both pointng in the
      same direction. Anybody have any reasons? For tropo, my primary is
      always better. Antennas described below.

      I always use the primary antenna for WSJT as it is normally the best
      performer. Should I use the secondaries?

      Primary antenna. 12 element K1FO yagi at 70 ft horizontally
      polarized.

      Secondary antennas. I have four of these pointing at key
      directions. Three of them consist of two verticlly stacked
      horizontally polarized CushCraft 124WB 4 element yagis end mounted on
      the side of my tower at 50 to 60 ft. The K1FO usually gives 1 to 2 S
      units higher readings than these three antenna systems. The fourth
      system is four vertical stacked 124WB horizontally polarized end
      mounted on the tower between 65 and 50 ft. The K1FO is usually 1/2
      to 1 S unit better.

      I use a RCS-8V remote anntena switch so I can instantly switch to any
      one of the five antenna systems.
    • Conrad G0RUZ
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
        If I understand it correctly the horizontal beamwidth of the shorter yagis
        will be considerably wider, therefore you will illuminate a larger area of
        sky. This is reciporical on rx of course. Additionally the lower antennas
        may have some high angle radiation (although the vertical stacking should
        minimise this) which is contributing. The phase relationship between the
        multiple antennas could be causing lots of lobes which are undesirable on
        tropo signals where the signal will maintain polarity and appear to come
        from a more defined point at a lower angle of elevation.

        Of course this is just my belief but I could well be totally wrong. What do
        the antenna experts have to say?

        73

        Conrad G0RUZ

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
          I am not an antenna expert either, but I agree with
          Conrad. It is all Beamwidth.

          It has been the opinion of the older established
          Pingjockeys out there that high gain arrays are great
          for schedules, but lower gain arrays are better for
          randoms. Also a little elevation of the array can help
          too.

          David, you got the best of both worlds. Hear and ID
          them with the low gain array, then finish it with the
          K1FO.

          Speak of the devil, I got the same situation here. If
          I am around, I may experiment this during the
          Geminids.

          --- Conrad G0RUZ <conrad@...> wrote:
          > If I understand it correctly the horizontal
          > beamwidth of the shorter yagis
          > will be considerably wider, therefore you will
          > illuminate a larger area of
          > sky.
        • DAVID
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
            Yes. That is why I chose the secondary systems because of the wide
            beam width of 80 degrees as compared to the K1FO of about 40
            degrees. Vertical stacking should have a low radiation angle. Were
            you referring to the phase relationship within one system or
            relationship with the other systems causing lobes?

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Conrad G0RUZ
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
              When I re-read your posts I see that you can only select 1 system at a time,
              I was initially under the impression that you had the secondary array(s)
              into some kind of combiner like some of the contest groups use. As that is
              not the case the phase relationship will be well defined and the only
              possibility would be some minor high lobes from nearby reflections. All the
              antennas seem to be many wavelengths above ground so this is unlikey.

              I other words I made a mistake :-)

              Conrad G0RUZ

              Yes. That is why I chose the secondary systems because of the wide
              beam width of 80 degrees as compared to the K1FO of about 40
              degrees. Vertical stacking should have a low radiation angle. Were
              you referring to the phase relationship within one system or
              relationship with the other systems causing lobes?

              --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Conrad G0RUZ" <conrad@g...> wrote:
              > If I understand it correctly the horizontal beamwidth of the
              shorter yagis
              > will be considerably wider, therefore you will illuminate a larger
              area of
              > sky. This is reciporical on rx of course. Additionally the lower
              antennas
              > may have some high angle radiation (although the vertical stacking
              should
              > minimise this) which is contributing. The phase relationship
              between the
              > multiple antennas could be causing lots of lobes which are
              undesirable on
              > tropo signals where the signal will maintain polarity and appear to
              come
              > from a more defined point at a lower angle of elevation.
              >
              > Of course this is just my belief but I could well be totally wrong.
              What do
              > the antenna experts have to say?
              >
              > 73
              >
              > Conrad G0RUZ

            • kenneth
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2002
                Can anyone give me some idea on a antenna setup for 1 mtr and 70 cm ,I whant
                to put them on the same boom 1 144 on each end and the 70 cms in the middle.
                WSJT for EME /MS so I need the spaceings comments welcome

                ---