Help!

  • Grant Hedrick
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
      Help!
      I have installed WSJT, but I am getting only garbage. I followed the
      instructions I found on the web to calibrate the levels between radio &
      soundcard, but perhaps I missed something? I heard a few really long pings
      last night, but got no intelligible text. What am I doing wrong!!!

      I have attached a screen shot showing a couple pings. Someone, PLEASE point
      me in the right direction!

      TNX,
      Grant
      N0XIL
      EN91go
    • Mike Hasselbeck
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2002
        Grant - have you tried a manual decode (left and right clicks do different things) on those pings? There are some some excellent (zipped) .wav files that you can practice on and play with here:http://www.qsl.net/w8wn/hscw/hscw.htmlDownload, unzip, open them from WSJT and see what happens.Mike WB2FKO--- Grant Hedrick wrote:
        > Help! > I have installed WSJT, but I am getting only > garbage. I followed the > instructions I found on the web to calibrate the > levels between radio & > soundcard, but perhaps I missed something? I heard > a few really long pings > last night, but got no intelligible text. What am I > doing wrong!!! > > I have attached a screen shot showing a couple > pings. Someone, PLEASE point > me in the right direction! > > TNX, > Grant > N0XIL > EN91go > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > wsjtgroup-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=WSJT screen.jpg

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
          Grant,
          I'm sorting through over 100 e-mail from the past week, so I appologize
          if this has already been said! The most common reason for this is that
          you are not on frequency with the other station. You need to be within
          200 Hz of the other guy for the program to decode reliably. Just
          because your radio has a digital readout doesn't mean it is right--my
          FT-290R/II is 500Hz "low" so I have to compensate everytime I run a sked.

          Other possiblities are
          1) DSP reduction/filtering --In every case that I have seen, DSP NR will
          butchcer a FSK441ping, along with packet or any other medium-high-speed
          data signal.

          2) AGC. The program looks at spikes in AF ampitude as possible "ping
          candidates" in the decoding process. Haveing your AGC on will defeat
          this purpose. If you have a selectable AGC, set it to "fast" or "off".
          A manual decode by right-clicking should still work in this case.

          If you still have throuble, e-mail me a wav file of a ping that doesn't
          decode and I'll try to spit out a diagnosis. Best thing to do is to
          keep running some skeds with experienced stations in the 800-1000mi
          range. Most of them can halp you track down the problem on the air too.
          Tony, WA8RJF, is also active in your square if you want to local help.

          Good luck!
          Andy K0SM/2

          Grant Hedrick wrote:

          >Help!
          >I have installed WSJT, but I am getting only garbage. I followed the
          >instructions I found on the web to calibrate the levels between radio &
          >soundcard, but perhaps I missed something? I heard a few really long pings
          >last night, but got no intelligible text. What am I doing wrong!!!
          >
          >I have attached a screen shot showing a couple pings. Someone, PLEASE point
          >me in the right direction!
          >
          >TNX,
          >Grant
          >N0XIL
          >EN91go

          > <cid:part1.05080207.07020805@...>

        • Don
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2002
            Hi Grant:

            I am new at this also so not sure what I have to throw out will do
            you any good but I will put my 2 cents in anyway. Along with Andy
            and Tip here they always have the answers and I have been reading on
            their and many other websites on this program......I did look at your
            screen shot you have posted and I am not sure if I am right or not
            but seems like these possible pings you have seen are at the same
            intervals which to me might indicate an interference problem or noise
            pulse...also I say this because Andy has indicated before that if the
            line goes all the way from bottom to top it usually is static or
            noise...most pings do not go from top to bottom (or so is my
            understanding and watching of my screen). I also would like to put
            out that I too downloaded the program and like most guys did not
            fully research or read the manual and was in a hurry to try out my
            new find....downloaded the program....installed it my machine....got
            on the PingJocky page.... found where a couple guys were trying a
            FSK441 QSO and tuned to that frequency and let the program run on
            monitor........humm.....seen some lines...but no decode...yet the Ham
            north of me some 20 miles got many pings and decode 100% and
            completed the QSO. In seeking out more information I now use my
            headphones so I can hear what is going on as I did not do that before
            and to me it is a must now as a ping has a distinct sound and line on
            the screen.....in listening blindly thinking the program would know
            all to be done I realized I have many birdies and much noise to
            overcome and by using the headphones I can hear all this and also
            even a light ping. Just my thoughts from another newbie here.

            de kb9umt Don EN50dp

            --- In wsjtgroup@y..., "Grant Hedrick" <grant@t...> wrote:
            > Help!
            > I have installed WSJT, but I am getting only garbage. I followed
            the
            > instructions I found on the web to calibrate the levels between
            radio &
            > soundcard, but perhaps I missed something? I heard a few really
            long pings
            > last night, but got no intelligible text. What am I doing wrong!!!
            >
            > I have attached a screen shot showing a couple pings. Someone,
            PLEASE point
            > me in the right direction!
            >
            > TNX,
            > Grant
            > N0XIL
            > EN91go
          • Anthony L .Ferguson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
              Hello Folks,

              I know I have been a pest on the bands, but this stuff is fun! I hope
              I can hopefully find someone that may have or know where I might get
              my grubby little hands on a copy of an owner manual and schematic for
              a LUNAR AMPLIFIER model 6M10-120P.

              I don't have the funds to run with the big gun stations but this will
              help me out from what I normaly run , I normaly run 50 watts or less
              from this ICOM 706MK2G so I will be able to run at least 120watts or
              maybe a little more , has to help!!! HI HI .

              See you on the bands 73 de KB4ZGO
            • Mark Hambrice
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 5, 2004
                Hi Tony!

                First, thanks for the 6m FSK441 run this morning. It'd been quite a
                while since I'd been able to work the rocks.

                Secondly, I believe you can get the manual from W7FG Vintage Manuals.
                The URL to his site is:

                http://www.w7fg.com/index.html

                I'm not affiliated with the business, it just came up on a search.

                73,
                Mark, KØXXX

                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony L .Ferguson"