WA5UFH Results (Leonids)

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2002
      The meteor shower was fun. I started off with a list of 10
      pre-arranged skeds. I am convinced, at least for me, that having the
      pre-arranged schedules benefited me. It certainly gave me a chance to
      look at what I needed and then set up prearranged start times and
      frequencies. Where I made my mistake was trying to work other contacts
      between the prearranged list. It cramped me for time and I actually
      had to cancel one scheduled contact in order to complete a long one I
      made of the Pin Jockey. So you live, learn and try to improve your
      techniques for the next major event.

      Listed below are my results. (not bad for me...)

      I completed 8 contacts all FSK441 - (5) 144Mhz and (3) 50Mhz (16
      failed attempts however I was pushing the distance barriers)
      Worked 5 new grids - (3) 144Mhz (2) 50Mhz
      Worked 4 New States - (2) 144Mhz (2) 50Mhz
      Worked 7 New Initials (4) 144Mhz (3) 50Mhz

      My best six meter DX was 1294 miles or 2082 km (WF4R)
      My best two meter DX was 1436 miles or 2310 km (K3TV)

      I had BC's from WA3DRC 1450 Miles (Did not complete)
      BC's from K2TXB 1454 miles (Did not complete)

      This was my first Leonids Meteor Shower to work. I missed the one last
      year but after hearing all the results from last years event, I was a
      little disappointed with my results. I hope others share their
      experiences.

      I thought the cooperation and operating procedures were for the most
      part outstanding. The one thing I see we could have all beneffited
      from is the proper use of the calling frequency. QSO's should not be
      made on .140 & .270. We didn't as a group make good use of the <U> UP
      # <D> # procedures for calling CQ, especially on six meters. Several
      times I wanted to call CQ on 50.270 only to find it busy with contacts
      and single tones. HiHi

      Don't forget the contest in December during the Geminids. Long
      distance skeds can be made ahead of the contest (see the rules) for
      the "un-assisted entry" so now is the time to plan it out. Rules..
      http://www.qsl.net/wa5ufh/Rally/DecContest.htm

      Randy Tipton (Tip)
      WA5UFH EL19pa