Antenna Idea for 6m

  • jfelts13
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2005
      Looks like my son will be here week after next, one thing he plans to
      do is get my puny lil tower up for me. Tower is only a 20footer, and 2m
      beam will be at 26ft. The RG8M coax will be be replaced with RG-213
      down to the base, then switch to LRM-400 into the shack. I don't think
      LMR-400 can take the constant twisting. That will get the 2m beam up
      about 8 feet higher than it is now.

      I'm trying to figure out what to do for 6m other than using my lil Par
      OA-50. Nothing wrong with it but my 5 watts needs a lil better antenna.
      I'm not sure about how much distance I need between the 2m beam and
      what ever I put up for 6m. All I do know is there will be 6foot between
      them. Any sugguestions??

      oh one comment, more power is not a option on 6m. hi hi Its already bad
      enough that I cheat on 2m with 160watts.

      Jerry - NR5A
    • Bryan Woodman
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
        Jerry,
        The Par OA-50-- is that an omni? I'd say leave it up (if possible). That way
        you can tell the 6m openings, no matter what direction they're coming from.
        But I'd add a 6m beam (again, if possible), that way you can maximize your
        limited 6m wattage, once an opening comes along. Add a coax/antenna switch,
        or just manually change between the two antennas. Be sure to label the
        coaxs. Check out www.arrowantennas.com. No, I don't work for them, I'm just
        impressed by his stuff.

        And BTW, 160W on 2m is not cheating. If you were above 1500W, that would be
        cheating.

        Bryan M. Woodman
        kc7jds

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
          If you are thinking small, look at a Moxon rectangle. Par makes
          the SM-50 or there is a wealth of info on building your own on
          the web.
          <http://www.cebik.com/moxon/6m.html> is one,
          or a Google on "Moxon rectangle" will bring lots of hits.

          Mike kc9doa

          > Looks like my son will be here week after next, one thing he plans to
          > do is get my puny lil tower up for me. Tower is only a 20footer, and 2m
          > beam will be at 26ft. The RG8M coax will be be replaced with RG-213
          > down to the base, then switch to LRM-400 into the shack. I don't think
          > LMR-400 can take the constant twisting. That will get the 2m beam up
          > about 8 feet higher than it is now.
          >
          > I'm trying to figure out what to do for 6m other than using my lil Par
          > OA-50. Nothing wrong with it but my 5 watts needs a lil better antenna.
          > I'm not sure about how much distance I need between the 2m beam and
          > what ever I put up for 6m. All I do know is there will be 6foot between
          > them. Any sugguestions??
          >
          > oh one comment, more power is not a option on 6m. hi hi Its already bad
          > enough that I cheat on 2m with 160watts.
          >
          > Jerry - NR5A

        • Ira Franklin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
            Jerry,
            I would highly recommend a beam, I found out bigger is better, The M2  6m5x is an excellent antenna, if the boom is too long for your situtation I would suggest the Cushcraft 505s on 12 ft boom. Good luck with the antennas.

            Ira   K4YMQ

            jfelts13 <nr5a@...> wrote:
            Looks like my son will be here week after next, one thing he plans to
            do is get my puny lil tower up for me. Tower is only a 20footer, and 2m
            beam will be at 26ft. The RG8M coax will be be replaced with RG-213
            down to the base, then switch to LRM-400 into the shack. I don't think
            LMR-400 can take the constant twisting. That will get the 2m beam up
            about 8 feet higher than it is now.

            I'm trying to figure out what to do for 6m other than using my lil Par
            OA-50. Nothing wrong with it but my 5 watts needs a lil better antenna.
            I'm not sure about how much distance I need between the 2m beam and
            what ever I put up for 6m. All I do know is there will be 6foot between
            them. Any sugguestions??

            oh one comment, more power is not a option on 6m. hi hi Its already bad
            enough that I cheat on 2m with 160watts.

            Jerry - NR5A

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Larry

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2005
                Hello Jerry,

                Friday, September 2, 2005, 6:19:18 AM, you wrote:

                j> I'm not sure about how much distance I need between the 2m beam and
                j> what ever I put up for 6m. All I do know is there will be 6foot
                j> between them.

                You can find out the solution of this problem using antenna modeler.
                It will help you to determine how your 2m antenna interacts with 6m
                one.
                Free of charge antenna modeling software lives here:

                http://mmhamsoft.ham-radio.ch/mmana

                Right link to download http://mmhamsoft.ham-radio.ch/files/programs/MMANA072E.zip

                This software uses MININEC engine and gives wholly adequate results.

                j> Jerry - NR5A

                --
                Best regards,
                UA6LGO/Sergey