JT65 Question

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2005
      Being new to this digital mode stuff. Is there a calling freq for jt65?
      Aside from .140.
      Thanks

      Bill WA0YPL DM37dt
    • Russ K2TXB
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2005
        > Being new to this digital mode stuff. Is there a calling freq for jt65?
        > Aside from .140.
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bill WA0YPL DM37dt

        Not really. Most terrestrial JT65 work is done by schedule, on mutually
        agreed upon frequencies. There has been some discussion of JT65 frequencies
        for EME, but again it is mostly done by schedule, or someone announcing
        where they will call CQ.

        Speaking of which, Thursday evening I worked HB9Q on his JT65C CQ, at
        moonrise, on 432.133. I subsequently worked Dan on CW as well.

        On JT65 I was running 400 watts to my single 432 Yagi at 108 feet. No
        elevation. On CW I was running about 900 watts out, and Dan gave me a 449
        report! This was only the second time I've ever worked EME on 432 (from
        home). The first was in 1993 when I worked VE3ONT with their 150 foot dish
        at Algonquin, Ontario. But that time I had a 120 element 432 array (and
        sigs were SSB quality).

        Anyway it appears easier than I thought to work the big stations on 432 at
        moonrise.

        Back to calling frequencies for JT65. There has been some recent talk about
        changing or setting a call freq on 432, for EME. Until now there had been
        an unofficial call freq of 432.040, but now some stations are trying to move
        it up the band. I think around 070 or 080, not sure what the latest is. I
        have not heard any discussion for two meters lately.

        73, Russ K2TXB