Re: [wsjtgroup] Documenting Meteor Showers ...

  • Catharinus PE1AHX in JO21OS
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2005
      Hi Randy,

      entered mine (in km of course per the entry box) but don't see that column
      on te result screen. Heard soms stations up to 2300km here and know of at
      least 1 completed QSO > 2400km (1500 miles) which was completed.

      Maybe you can add some type of miles/km conversion (and show both on the
      website).

      By the way, if anyone interested here is the page with currently recognised
      records (VHF bands and higher) in IARU Region 1. Not sure if something
      like this exists in other IARU regions
      though. http://ham.se/vhf/dxrecord/dxrec.htm Current IARU R1 MS record on
      144MHz is 3101km, 1926miles, #2 QSO is 2581km or 1603 miles.

      73,
      Catharinus PE1AHX

      At 11:37 12-08-2005 -0500, you wrote:

      >We would like to add a new feature to the WSJTGROUP WebPage that would
      >provide real data from major meteor showers. This information would be
      >helpful for newbies and also help document what is possible during
      >meteor showers. The information would be input via the persons making
      >the contact. It can even be input in real-time during the shower if the
      >user chooses to.
      >
      >I propose we start with the 2005 Perseids.
      >
      >Most seem to agree that distances over 1200 miles are the exception and
      >not the rule. Only contacts completed on two and six meters that exceed
      >1200 miles would be logged to document the shower and all contacts made
      >on 222MHz and 432MHz would be logged regardless of distance. This is to
      >show what activity is like during showers on those higher bands and
      >maybe spark more interest in using them.
      >
      >If enough data is input into the test database at:
      >http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/wsjtgroup/2005_PERSEIDS
      >we will provide a link from the WSJTGROUP WebPage after the shower is
      >over and do the same for the next major shower.
      >
      >Is there any interest? For those who made contacts would you enter the
      >contact data? Any Comments?
      >
      >Tip
      >
      >WSJTGROUP WebPage at: http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
      >

      >To unsubscribe, send an email to:
      >
      >Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
      >NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      ---
      Active VHF'ers meet on the ON4KST chat: http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2005
        Thanks Catharinus for your comments. The kilometers will show when you
        click on your call; which brings up all the fields for that record on a
        single page. There could be many more fields hidden from the "main
        view". I will set it up where both Miles and Kilometers show on the
        "main view" if there is room on a single screen.

        To convert miles to kilometers multiply by 1.61

        To convert kilometers to miles multiply by .621377

        (Catharinus I can enter the miles for you if you like. The database is
        sorted by distance in miles and you had some good contacts)

        I think the easiest way to determine the miles and kilometers is to take
        it directly off the WSJT screen. (Right below the look-up button)

        The data is sorted by distance but can be searched several ways but
        unless lots of records not really needed.

        Thanks for the link to the IARU Region 1 Records. I was unaware of it.
        The best link for standings on six meters that I know is provided by
        K1SIX.

        http://k1six.com/6MWSJT.htm

        Thanks
        Tip