JT44 DX calling freq/window needed??

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2002
      Tip, your note mentioning South and Central America activity got me
      thinking. I have monitored 50.250, 50.260 and 50.270 a fair bit during
      TEP season hoping to catch some on JT44 but haven't heard anything
      during the few openings I've caught (and called CQ a number of times).
      Sent two or three e-mails to previous contacts and to a few listed in
      Callsign.txt to see if there was interest. Guess when the band opens
      they are all working the SSB window.

      In addition, I've sent a few notes to some KH6's in hopes one or more
      might be interested in a JT44 qso sked during the upcoming F2 season of
      about mid-Nov to mid-Dec but no takers so far.

      Since it appears we are calling all over the place, would be good if we
      could "establish" a DX calling freq and window for JT44? Spot searches
      on DX Summit (http://oh2w.kolumbus.com/dxs/qin.html) shows 6m spots with
      JT44 as mode from the X call freq of 50.110 up to 50.290 (not a good as
      .290 is main 6m PSK31 freq). I know some countries have upper limit on
      6m at around 50.200 but you could work split for them - K1SIX did some
      that way (What say Bob?)

      Open to suggestions.......... Bruce, KD5IUG in EM42

      PS - anyone tried JT44 or PSK31 on back scatter?
    • Rex Moncur
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2002
        Hi Bruce

        For info in VK-ZL we have established the following "focus" frequencies to focus efforts on Digital Modes:

        50.220 PSK, VFSKCW and narrowband modes - less than 100 HZ.
        50.225 Medium bandwidth modes such as JT44, normal and  slow speed Hellshreiber.
        50.230, FSK441 and Fast Hellshreiber for meteor scatter.

        The same set also applies to Higher Frequencies;

        eg 144.225, 432.225, 1296.225 for JT44

        Regards Rex
        VK7MO