Re: The "4 tone" adjustment (HELP)

  • Bob Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2005
      I had the same problem with a TS-680 and found the problem to be the
      USB setting. It wasn't set correctly. I set the initial power with
      the lower tone and adjusted until all the tones put out the same
      power. It solved the problem. Perhaps there is something similar,
      adjustment-wise on the IC-275.

      Bob-N8OB

      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@P...> wrote:
      > Dave --
      >
      > OK, it does sound as though the IC-275 is the problem.
      >
      > -- Joe, K1JT
      >
      > ab3bk wrote:
      > > Well Thank you all for your suggestions, however I could not
      fix the
      > > problem. I cannot get power with the "D" tone no matter what I
      do,
      > > even with everything turned all the way up. If I turn all the
      other
      > > tones down, I can't drive my amp and the audio sounds very bad.
      > >
      > > I have reason to believe that the 275 is the culprit. The rig
      has a
      > > "mic tone" adjustment on the rear. I tried the full range of the
      > > screw with a slight change in power out. I'm not sure how this
      > > circuit is set up inside or if I can disable it. My IC-736 works
      > > wonderfully for 6m.
      > >
      > > Thanks again, if you can think of anything else, let me know.
      I am
      > > able to make contacts on 2m, but some cannot decode me very well,
      > > guess it depends on their recieve situation.
      > >
      > > 73
      > > Dave AB3BK
      > >

      > > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@P...> wrote:
      > >
      > >>Dave --
      > >>
      > >>I've been away for several days, so am a bit late in answering
      your
      > >>question. It sounds very much as though the IC-275A filters the
      Tx
      > >>audio so as to roll it off fairly steeply above 1500 Hz. Here's
      what I
      > >>would do to explore your options:
      > >>
      > >>1. First, adjust the Tx power output to the desired level, say 10
      W,
      > >>with key-down CW. You could also do this with the radio set to
      > >
      > > transmit
      > >
      > >>FM. Then switch to SSB mode, send Tone D from WSJT, and turn up
      the
      > >>audio level until you get the same output. (You could adjust the
      sound
      > >>card output level using WSJT's "Setup -> Adjust Tx Volume
      Control", or
      > >>with the IC-275 mike gain, or perhaps in your computer-to-radio
      > >>interface, if that has an adjustment for Tx Audio level. Then
      check

      > > the
      > >
      > >>power levels of tones A, B, and C. If they are more or less equal
      > >
      > > (say,
      > >
      > >>8-12 W or so) than your are done. I don't know whether the IC-
      275 has
      > >>options for speech clipping or compression; if it does, you might
      > >
      > > try it
      > >
      > >> both on and off.
      > >>
      > >>2. If this fails to equalize things adequately, you will need to
      adjust
      > >>the relative levels of the tones coming out of the soundcard. On
      the
      > >>Setup->Options page, under FSK441 Amplitudes, leave Tone D set to
      1.000
      > >>but reduce the levels for A, B, and C appropriately. From your
      data I
      > >>would try setting A and B to about 0.316, and tone C to 0.707, as
      > >>start. Adjust as necessary until you get the desired output from
      all
      > >>four tones.
      > >>
      > >>By the way: method 1, above, intentionally "overdrives" the audio
      in

      > > the
      > >
      > >>lower three tones. However, unlike the situation with some
      digital
      > >>modes such as PSK31, this will not widen your signal. The reason
      is
      > >>that a proper FSK441 is a constant-amplitude, single-frequency
      waveform
      > >>with no opportunities for forming intermodulation products. It
      can be
      > >>properly transmitted by even a class C amplifier.
      > >>
      > >>Please let us know how you make out!
      > >>

      > > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      Tones C

      > > cranked.

      > > To unsubscribe, send an email to:
      > >
      > > Activity Periods http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
      > > NAHSMS Contest Page http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Russ K2TXB
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 15, 2005
        Dave, I would suggest doing a complete alignment of the 275. It may very
        well be that one of the oscillators is off frequency by several hundred
        hertz, resulting in the SSB transmit signal being off center in the SSB
        filter. I would also expect that your voice transmissions will sound very
        bassy. What happens if you switch to LSB? I suspect it will work
        differently there.

        You should be able to find alignment instructions (tech manual) online
        somewhere if you do a google search. If not, call ICOM or speak to one of
        the hams who do custom service for various radios.

        Good luck, Russ K2TXB

      • ab3bk
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2005
          Hi Russ, I do know the rig is slightly off but didn't know it would
          affect the audio tone like that. I have gotten reports of a "bassy"
          audio.
          I'm taking the rig to my neighbor Tim W3PLC tomorrow and he will go
          over the whole thing for me. I don't have the equipment here for that.
          I'll let you kno how we make out. Would love to have 2m running
          properly for the Persieds.

          TNX es 73
          Dave AB3BK