Re: [wsjtgroup] Random hour time

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005
      Tip, from my viewpoint here in the MDT, and being to close or to far for
      WSJT meteor scatter, the earlier the better! I would vote for say
      1200 on 2 meters and above and 1300 for six meters. I try to set up the
      computer to monitor most saturdays, and from "my" observations activity
      seems to be down, for quite some time. Just not hearing the rocks here
      like we used to. Mother Nature may be responsible. Years ago when I
      was mountain topping most weekends, sunrise always brought the meteor
      bursts in on SSB from the TX, NM (N5JHV) and AZ (N7CI) Big-guns to my SE
      and the Big-Guns from OR, WA (WA7VHW) and MT (WA1JXN/W7GJ) to the NW.
      The times they are a changing. A part of me was actually hoping NASA
      would of blown up comet temple yesterday, accidentally of course, just
      to of provided us with a new meteor shower! ;-) But in the end I feel
      earlier the better. And how about Sunday mornings? Anything to get me
      off my lazy you know what to listen and or make noise. For all the
      money and tower time I have spent this gear seems to sit here doing
      nothing most of the time.

      Hummmm where have I heard that before.

      Soap Box broken up and now burning in the fire pit.

      73, Mark, Ku7z

      Randy Tipton wrote:

      > So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change
      > to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official
      > announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very
      > positive for starting earlier.
      >

      > For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok
      > or do you wish to leave the starting time at 14:00 and end an hour
      > latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC
      > appeared to be a slim majority out west. East / West coast don’t have
      > to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more
      > consideration?
      >

      > Tip

      73!
      Ku7z, Mark in DN41
      "Amateur radio operators do it with frequency. Ham radio operators do it
      till their GigaHertz."
    • ww2r@mgef.org
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
        In think moving it up an hour but keeping the length the same is a good idea

        Dave

        ww2r

      • Olin Chamberlin
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
          Will the time change back with daylight savings time change?
          I'm for the move.
[...]

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        • Randy Tipton
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005

            To the best of my memory RH has always been UTC time and has not changed with ‘”daylight savings time”.

            I don’t know what the outcome of the current “Energy Bill” is but I thought Standard Time was being proposed to be
            only 2 months out of the year. (Basically going away) So it may not even be an issue.

            Tip

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
              Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
              wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
              daylight saving time.
              This is why I asked the question. I don't care but the earlier the better is because when I do get ton the air in the morning I find my self waiting on RH

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 6, 2005
                And while we are on the subject, let me bring this idea up for future
                consideration. It was most frustrating trying to demo WSJT on Sunday
                morning of Field Day because of the lack of stations listening or calling.
                In addition, a lack of participation was noted in Bruce's RH report for
                Sat June 25 probably due to many of us setting up Field Day stations Sat
                morning.

                So my proposal is that in the future during the weekend of ARRL Field Day
                (4th weekend of June) that Random Hour be held on Sunday morning instead
                of Saturday morning. This will provide more opportunity for those who
                want to demo WSJT during Field Day and will also probably increase
                participation.

                BTW, I agree with everyone about making RH one hour earlier.

                73 de
                --
                Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                Bloomington, Indiana US