RE: [wsjtgroup] Random hour time

  • Charles AF4O
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

      Oh, and yes I think RH is great also. In any form/time I will try and be there. The pings are addicting !

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
        You have my vote to start one hour early.

        W6TMS CN90

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
          I vote for 1 hour earlier starting time.
          John W9SE

          ---------------------

          --------------------
          1. Change may be confusing.
          2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

          What do others think?

                -- 73, Joe, K1JT

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        • Ken Roberson
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hello All,

            I would like to Have the Random Hour last for two
            Hours From Say 14:00  to 16:00 for both 6 Meters
            and 2 Meters overlap .That way we could switch
            back and forth depending on the pings and activity

            Tnx and 73

            Ken K5DNL

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Randy Tipton
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005

              So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very positive for starting earlier.

              For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok or do you wish to leave the starting  time at 14:00 and end an hour latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC appeared to be a slim majority out west.  East / West coast don’t have to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more consideration?

              Tip

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005
                Tip, from my viewpoint here in the MDT, and being to close or to far for
                WSJT meteor scatter, the earlier the better! I would vote for say
                1200 on 2 meters and above and 1300 for six meters. I try to set up the
                computer to monitor most saturdays, and from "my" observations activity
                seems to be down, for quite some time. Just not hearing the rocks here
                like we used to. Mother Nature may be responsible. Years ago when I
                was mountain topping most weekends, sunrise always brought the meteor
                bursts in on SSB from the TX, NM (N5JHV) and AZ (N7CI) Big-guns to my SE
                and the Big-Guns from OR, WA (WA7VHW) and MT (WA1JXN/W7GJ) to the NW.
                The times they are a changing. A part of me was actually hoping NASA
                would of blown up comet temple yesterday, accidentally of course, just
                to of provided us with a new meteor shower! ;-) But in the end I feel
                earlier the better. And how about Sunday mornings? Anything to get me
                off my lazy you know what to listen and or make noise. For all the
                money and tower time I have spent this gear seems to sit here doing
                nothing most of the time.

                Hummmm where have I heard that before.

                Soap Box broken up and now burning in the fire pit.

                73, Mark, Ku7z

                Randy Tipton wrote:

                > So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change
                > to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official
                > announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very
                > positive for starting earlier.
                >

                > For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok
                > or do you wish to leave the starting time at 14:00 and end an hour
                > latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC
                > appeared to be a slim majority out west. East / West coast don’t have
                > to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more
                > consideration?
                >

                > Tip

                73!
                Ku7z, Mark in DN41
                "Amateur radio operators do it with frequency. Ham radio operators do it
                till their GigaHertz."
              • ww2r@mgef.org
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                  In think moving it up an hour but keeping the length the same is a good idea

                  Dave

                  ww2r

                • Olin Chamberlin
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                    Will the time change back with daylight savings time change?
                    I'm for the move.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005

                      To the best of my memory RH has always been UTC time and has not changed with ‘”daylight savings time”.

                      I don’t know what the outcome of the current “Energy Bill” is but I thought Standard Time was being proposed to be
                      only 2 months out of the year. (Basically going away) So it may not even be an issue.

                      Tip

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                        Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                        wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                        daylight saving time.
                        This is why I asked the question. I don't care but the earlier the better is because when I do get ton the air in the morning I find my self waiting on RH

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 6, 2005
                          And while we are on the subject, let me bring this idea up for future
                          consideration. It was most frustrating trying to demo WSJT on Sunday
                          morning of Field Day because of the lack of stations listening or calling.
                          In addition, a lack of participation was noted in Bruce's RH report for
                          Sat June 25 probably due to many of us setting up Field Day stations Sat
                          morning.

                          So my proposal is that in the future during the weekend of ARRL Field Day
                          (4th weekend of June) that Random Hour be held on Sunday morning instead
                          of Saturday morning. This will provide more opportunity for those who
                          want to demo WSJT during Field Day and will also probably increase
                          participation.

                          BTW, I agree with everyone about making RH one hour earlier.

                          73 de
                          --
                          Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                          Bloomington, Indiana US