Re: [wsjtgroup] Random hour time

  • n6enu
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2 10:01 AM
      Joe Taylor wrote:

      > Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
      > wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
      > daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
      > both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

      I personally think the same local time during the year is best. Makes
      planning easier. That said, 6AM seems to be a bit early for most out
      West. If you notice the postings on PJ, activity out here seems to pick
      up after 7AM. Keep in mind that during the winter, it is still dark
      during RH here in the West.

      I hope that West Coasters chime in before a decision is made. I would
      love to see activity pick up out West and time of day may be a major factor.

      --
      John Milligan
      N6ENU
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2 11:23 AM
        I think  RH  is great  If u want to start at 1100Z and run till 1700Z  i will be in there either for all or at least most of it. Got to shower some time in there but would be back to try catching more stations. I would even go for 1100Z -1400Z 2mtr  &  1400Z to 1700Z  6mtr  or 1100Z - 1700Z  work any band u can just have to send in report to have credit for QSO AWARDS.  i JUST LOVE TO HEAR DEM PINGS SO WILL LISTEN NO MATTER WHAT THE TIME LINE WILL BE.  AS LONG AS IT ISN'T 2IN THE MORNING!

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2 11:27 AM
          Someone official in the group needs to notify my employer, spouse, and
          family that I have my priorities out of alignment. That I need to get on
          RH more often. Just kidding.

          Here lately every Saturday morning, I have been tied up one way or
          another. An earlier time would come near working better for me also. And
          the rocks would probably be better. Would not hurt my feelings to start
          2 hours earlier.

          73
          Chuck
          AF4O
        • Charles AF4O
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2 11:33 AM

            Oh, and yes I think RH is great also. In any form/time I will try and be there. The pings are addicting !

[...]

                      CST        &nb! sp; CST         <CST>
                     <MST>         MST          MST
                    <<PST>>       <PST>         PST

            <xxx>  Optional
            <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
            late comers.

            This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
            necessarily a bad thing- hi.  I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
            during day light savings time period.

            My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX

            To unsubscribe, send an email to:

            NAHSMS Contest Page ! http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm

            To unsubscribe, send an email to:

            Ham radio

            Wsjt

            Craft hobby

            Hobby and craft supply

          • Henry A Kilburg
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2 12:17 PM
              You have my vote to start one hour early.

              W6TMS CN90

              Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
              wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
              daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
              both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

              In favor of a change:
              ---------------------
              1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH times.
              2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday morning, and
              may prevent some from staying around for it.

              Opposed to a change:
              --------------------
              1. Change may be confusing.
              2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

              What do others think?

              -- 73, Joe, K1JT

              To unsubscribe, send an email to:

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • john flinn
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2 1:39 PM
                I vote for 1 hour earlier starting time.
                John W9SE

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2 4:12 PM
                  Hello All,

                  I would like to Have the Random Hour last for two
                  Hours From Say 14:00  to 16:00 for both 6 Meters
                  and 2 Meters overlap .That way we could switch
                  back and forth depending on the pings and activity

                  Tnx and 73

                  Ken K5DNL

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Randy Tipton
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 4 7:45 PM

                    So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very positive for starting earlier.

                    For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok or do you wish to leave the starting  time at 14:00 and end an hour latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC appeared to be a slim majority out west.  East / West coast don’t have to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more consideration?

                    Tip

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 4 10:12 PM
                      Tip, from my viewpoint here in the MDT, and being to close or to far for
                      WSJT meteor scatter, the earlier the better! I would vote for say
                      1200 on 2 meters and above and 1300 for six meters. I try to set up the
                      computer to monitor most saturdays, and from "my" observations activity
                      seems to be down, for quite some time. Just not hearing the rocks here
                      like we used to. Mother Nature may be responsible. Years ago when I
                      was mountain topping most weekends, sunrise always brought the meteor
                      bursts in on SSB from the TX, NM (N5JHV) and AZ (N7CI) Big-guns to my SE
                      and the Big-Guns from OR, WA (WA7VHW) and MT (WA1JXN/W7GJ) to the NW.
                      The times they are a changing. A part of me was actually hoping NASA
                      would of blown up comet temple yesterday, accidentally of course, just
                      to of provided us with a new meteor shower! ;-) But in the end I feel
                      earlier the better. And how about Sunday mornings? Anything to get me
                      off my lazy you know what to listen and or make noise. For all the
                      money and tower time I have spent this gear seems to sit here doing
                      nothing most of the time.

                      Hummmm where have I heard that before.

                      Soap Box broken up and now burning in the fire pit.

                      73, Mark, Ku7z

                      Randy Tipton wrote:

                      > So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change
                      > to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official
                      > announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very
                      > positive for starting earlier.
                      >

                      > For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok
                      > or do you wish to leave the starting time at 14:00 and end an hour
                      > latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC
                      > appeared to be a slim majority out west. East / West coast don’t have
                      > to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more
                      > consideration?
                      >

                      > Tip

                      73!
                      Ku7z, Mark in DN41
                      "Amateur radio operators do it with frequency. Ham radio operators do it
                      till their GigaHertz."
                    • ww2r@mgef.org
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 5 7:57 AM
                        In think moving it up an hour but keeping the length the same is a good idea

                        Dave

                        ww2r

                      • Olin Chamberlin
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 5 10:42 AM
                          Will the time change back with daylight savings time change?
                          I'm for the move.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 5 11:29 AM

                            To the best of my memory RH has always been UTC time and has not changed with ‘”daylight savings time”.

                            I don’t know what the outcome of the current “Energy Bill” is but I thought Standard Time was being proposed to be
                            only 2 months out of the year. (Basically going away) So it may not even be an issue.

                            Tip

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 5 1:45 PM
                              Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                              wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                              daylight saving time.
                              This is why I asked the question. I don't care but the earlier the better is because when I do get ton the air in the morning I find my self waiting on RH

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 6 3:45 PM
                                And while we are on the subject, let me bring this idea up for future
                                consideration. It was most frustrating trying to demo WSJT on Sunday
                                morning of Field Day because of the lack of stations listening or calling.
                                In addition, a lack of participation was noted in Bruce's RH report for
                                Sat June 25 probably due to many of us setting up Field Day stations Sat
                                morning.

                                So my proposal is that in the future during the weekend of ARRL Field Day
                                (4th weekend of June) that Random Hour be held on Sunday morning instead
                                of Saturday morning. This will provide more opportunity for those who
                                want to demo WSJT during Field Day and will also probably increase
                                participation.

                                BTW, I agree with everyone about making RH one hour earlier.

                                73 de
                                --
                                Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                                Bloomington, Indiana US