RE: [wsjtgroup] Random hour time

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

      I am for moving RH up an hour. Bruce’s recommendation looks good also. I wonder if there is a workable way
      to combine all vhf bands during the same time frame or would it dilute the activity too much? If all bands played at the
      same time it would provide opportunities for moving a stations from one band to the other and also allow those with 222MHz to play…

      (I would recommend when moving stations to move to the “call frequency”. If I was working KE7NR on six meters I might send
      NR RRR 2M.  (just brainstorming…)

      I will go alone with whatever the group wants and can change the documentation whenever a consensus decision
      is reached.

      Tip

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
        Hi Everyone,

        I agree with moving random hour up 1 hour but think leaving seperate
        Random hours the way they are now would be better. As it is now I see
        some people making skeds during RH and such. To each his own...any
        suggestions to improve Random periods and increase activity would be
        welcomed!

        73's
        Terry
        WA3LTB
        EN92ta
        Lake CIty, Pa...
      • n6enu
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
          Joe Taylor wrote:

          > Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
          > wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
          > daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
          > both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

          I personally think the same local time during the year is best. Makes
          planning easier. That said, 6AM seems to be a bit early for most out
          West. If you notice the postings on PJ, activity out here seems to pick
          up after 7AM. Keep in mind that during the winter, it is still dark
          during RH here in the West.

          I hope that West Coasters chime in before a decision is made. I would
          love to see activity pick up out West and time of day may be a major factor.

          --
          John Milligan
          N6ENU

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
              Someone official in the group needs to notify my employer, spouse, and
              family that I have my priorities out of alignment. That I need to get on
              RH more often. Just kidding.

              Here lately every Saturday morning, I have been tied up one way or
              another. An earlier time would come near working better for me also. And
              the rocks would probably be better. Would not hurt my feelings to start
              2 hours earlier.

              73
              Chuck
              AF4O
            • Charles AF4O
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

                Oh, and yes I think RH is great also. In any form/time I will try and be there. The pings are addicting !

[...]

                          CST        &nb! sp; CST         <CST>
                         <MST>         MST          MST
                        <<PST>>       <PST>         PST

                <xxx>  Optional
                <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
                late comers.

                This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
                necessarily a bad thing- hi.  I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
                during day light savings time period.

                My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX

                To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                NAHSMS Contest Page ! http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm

                To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                Ham radio

                Wsjt

                Craft hobby

                Hobby and craft supply

              • Henry A Kilburg
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                  You have my vote to start one hour early.

                  W6TMS CN90

                  Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                  wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                  daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
                  both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

                  In favor of a change:
                  ---------------------
                  1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH times.
                  2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday morning, and
                  may prevent some from staying around for it.

                  Opposed to a change:
                  --------------------
                  1. Change may be confusing.
                  2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

                  What do others think?

                  -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • john flinn
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                    I vote for 1 hour earlier starting time.
                    John W9SE

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                      Hello All,

                      I would like to Have the Random Hour last for two
                      Hours From Say 14:00  to 16:00 for both 6 Meters
                      and 2 Meters overlap .That way we could switch
                      back and forth depending on the pings and activity

                      Tnx and 73

                      Ken K5DNL

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Randy Tipton
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005

                        So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very positive for starting earlier.

                        For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok or do you wish to leave the starting  time at 14:00 and end an hour latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC appeared to be a slim majority out west.  East / West coast don’t have to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more consideration?

                        Tip

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005
                          Tip, from my viewpoint here in the MDT, and being to close or to far for
                          WSJT meteor scatter, the earlier the better! I would vote for say
                          1200 on 2 meters and above and 1300 for six meters. I try to set up the
                          computer to monitor most saturdays, and from "my" observations activity
                          seems to be down, for quite some time. Just not hearing the rocks here
                          like we used to. Mother Nature may be responsible. Years ago when I
                          was mountain topping most weekends, sunrise always brought the meteor
                          bursts in on SSB from the TX, NM (N5JHV) and AZ (N7CI) Big-guns to my SE
                          and the Big-Guns from OR, WA (WA7VHW) and MT (WA1JXN/W7GJ) to the NW.
                          The times they are a changing. A part of me was actually hoping NASA
                          would of blown up comet temple yesterday, accidentally of course, just
                          to of provided us with a new meteor shower! ;-) But in the end I feel
                          earlier the better. And how about Sunday mornings? Anything to get me
                          off my lazy you know what to listen and or make noise. For all the
                          money and tower time I have spent this gear seems to sit here doing
                          nothing most of the time.

                          Hummmm where have I heard that before.

                          Soap Box broken up and now burning in the fire pit.

                          73, Mark, Ku7z

                          Randy Tipton wrote:

                          > So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change
                          > to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official
                          > announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very
                          > positive for starting earlier.
                          >

                          > For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok
                          > or do you wish to leave the starting time at 14:00 and end an hour
                          > latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC
                          > appeared to be a slim majority out west. East / West coast don’t have
                          > to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more
                          > consideration?
                          >

                          > Tip

                          73!
                          Ku7z, Mark in DN41
                          "Amateur radio operators do it with frequency. Ham radio operators do it
                          till their GigaHertz."
                        • ww2r@mgef.org
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                            In think moving it up an hour but keeping the length the same is a good idea

                            Dave

                            ww2r

                          • Olin Chamberlin
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                              Will the time change back with daylight savings time change?
                              I'm for the move.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005

                                To the best of my memory RH has always been UTC time and has not changed with ‘”daylight savings time”.

                                I don’t know what the outcome of the current “Energy Bill” is but I thought Standard Time was being proposed to be
                                only 2 months out of the year. (Basically going away) So it may not even be an issue.

                                Tip

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                  Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                                  wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                                  daylight saving time.
                                  This is why I asked the question. I don't care but the earlier the better is because when I do get ton the air in the morning I find my self waiting on RH

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 6, 2005
                                    And while we are on the subject, let me bring this idea up for future
                                    consideration. It was most frustrating trying to demo WSJT on Sunday
                                    morning of Field Day because of the lack of stations listening or calling.
                                    In addition, a lack of participation was noted in Bruce's RH report for
                                    Sat June 25 probably due to many of us setting up Field Day stations Sat
                                    morning.

                                    So my proposal is that in the future during the weekend of ARRL Field Day
                                    (4th weekend of June) that Random Hour be held on Sunday morning instead
                                    of Saturday morning. This will provide more opportunity for those who
                                    want to demo WSJT during Field Day and will also probably increase
                                    participation.

                                    BTW, I agree with everyone about making RH one hour earlier.

                                    73 de
                                    --
                                    Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                                    Bloomington, Indiana US