Random Hour

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
      Bruce --

      I was on for both Random Hours today. Activity seemed pretty low.

      144: worked KC0HLN, N5SIX; heard ??? calling WA5UFH

      50: worked N5SIX, N9EGT; heard W8TAH.

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • Randy Tipton
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

        I am for moving RH up an hour. Bruce’s recommendation looks good also. I wonder if there is a workable way
        to combine all vhf bands during the same time frame or would it dilute the activity too much? If all bands played at the
        same time it would provide opportunities for moving a stations from one band to the other and also allow those with 222MHz to play…

        (I would recommend when moving stations to move to the “call frequency”. If I was working KE7NR on six meters I might send
        NR RRR 2M.  (just brainstorming…)

        I will go alone with whatever the group wants and can change the documentation whenever a consensus decision
        is reached.

        Tip

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
          Hi Everyone,

          I agree with moving random hour up 1 hour but think leaving seperate
          Random hours the way they are now would be better. As it is now I see
          some people making skeds during RH and such. To each his own...any
          suggestions to improve Random periods and increase activity would be
          welcomed!

          73's
          Terry
          WA3LTB
          EN92ta
          Lake CIty, Pa...
        • n6enu
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
            Joe Taylor wrote:

            > Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
            > wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
            > daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
            > both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

            I personally think the same local time during the year is best. Makes
            planning easier. That said, 6AM seems to be a bit early for most out
            West. If you notice the postings on PJ, activity out here seems to pick
            up after 7AM. Keep in mind that during the winter, it is still dark
            during RH here in the West.

            I hope that West Coasters chime in before a decision is made. I would
            love to see activity pick up out West and time of day may be a major factor.

            --
            John Milligan
            N6ENU
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
              I think  RH  is great  If u want to start at 1100Z and run till 1700Z  i will be in there either for all or at least most of it. Got to shower some time in there but would be back to try catching more stations. I would even go for 1100Z -1400Z 2mtr  &  1400Z to 1700Z  6mtr  or 1100Z - 1700Z  work any band u can just have to send in report to have credit for QSO AWARDS.  i JUST LOVE TO HEAR DEM PINGS SO WILL LISTEN NO MATTER WHAT THE TIME LINE WILL BE.  AS LONG AS IT ISN'T 2IN THE MORNING!

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                Someone official in the group needs to notify my employer, spouse, and
                family that I have my priorities out of alignment. That I need to get on
                RH more often. Just kidding.

                Here lately every Saturday morning, I have been tied up one way or
                another. An earlier time would come near working better for me also. And
                the rocks would probably be better. Would not hurt my feelings to start
                2 hours earlier.

                73
                Chuck
                AF4O
              • Charles AF4O
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

                  Oh, and yes I think RH is great also. In any form/time I will try and be there. The pings are addicting !

[...]

                            CST        &nb! sp; CST         <CST>
                           <MST>         MST          MST
                          <<PST>>       <PST>         PST

                  <xxx>  Optional
                  <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
                  late comers.

                  This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
                  necessarily a bad thing- hi.  I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
                  during day light savings time period.

                  My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                  NAHSMS Contest Page ! http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm

                  To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                  Ham radio

                  Wsjt

                  Craft hobby

                  Hobby and craft supply

                • Henry A Kilburg
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                    You have my vote to start one hour early.

                    W6TMS CN90

                    Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                    wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                    daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
                    both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

                    In favor of a change:
                    ---------------------
                    1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH times.
                    2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday morning, and
                    may prevent some from staying around for it.

                    Opposed to a change:
                    --------------------
                    1. Change may be confusing.
                    2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

                    What do others think?

                    -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                    To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • john flinn
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                      I vote for 1 hour earlier starting time.
                      John W9SE

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                        Hello All,

                        I would like to Have the Random Hour last for two
                        Hours From Say 14:00  to 16:00 for both 6 Meters
                        and 2 Meters overlap .That way we could switch
                        back and forth depending on the pings and activity

                        Tnx and 73

                        Ken K5DNL

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Randy Tipton
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005

                          So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very positive for starting earlier.

                          For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok or do you wish to leave the starting  time at 14:00 and end an hour latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC appeared to be a slim majority out west.  East / West coast don’t have to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more consideration?

                          Tip

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005
                            Tip, from my viewpoint here in the MDT, and being to close or to far for
                            WSJT meteor scatter, the earlier the better! I would vote for say
                            1200 on 2 meters and above and 1300 for six meters. I try to set up the
                            computer to monitor most saturdays, and from "my" observations activity
                            seems to be down, for quite some time. Just not hearing the rocks here
                            like we used to. Mother Nature may be responsible. Years ago when I
                            was mountain topping most weekends, sunrise always brought the meteor
                            bursts in on SSB from the TX, NM (N5JHV) and AZ (N7CI) Big-guns to my SE
                            and the Big-Guns from OR, WA (WA7VHW) and MT (WA1JXN/W7GJ) to the NW.
                            The times they are a changing. A part of me was actually hoping NASA
                            would of blown up comet temple yesterday, accidentally of course, just
                            to of provided us with a new meteor shower! ;-) But in the end I feel
                            earlier the better. And how about Sunday mornings? Anything to get me
                            off my lazy you know what to listen and or make noise. For all the
                            money and tower time I have spent this gear seems to sit here doing
                            nothing most of the time.

                            Hummmm where have I heard that before.

                            Soap Box broken up and now burning in the fire pit.

                            73, Mark, Ku7z

                            Randy Tipton wrote:

                            > So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change
                            > to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official
                            > announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very
                            > positive for starting earlier.
                            >

                            > For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok
                            > or do you wish to leave the starting time at 14:00 and end an hour
                            > latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC
                            > appeared to be a slim majority out west. East / West coast don’t have
                            > to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more
                            > consideration?
                            >

                            > Tip

                            73!
                            Ku7z, Mark in DN41
                            "Amateur radio operators do it with frequency. Ham radio operators do it
                            till their GigaHertz."
                          • ww2r@mgef.org
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                              In think moving it up an hour but keeping the length the same is a good idea

                              Dave

                              ww2r

                            • Olin Chamberlin
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                Will the time change back with daylight savings time change?
                                I'm for the move.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005

                                  To the best of my memory RH has always been UTC time and has not changed with ‘”daylight savings time”.

                                  I don’t know what the outcome of the current “Energy Bill” is but I thought Standard Time was being proposed to be
                                  only 2 months out of the year. (Basically going away) So it may not even be an issue.

                                  Tip

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                    Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                                    wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                                    daylight saving time.
                                    This is why I asked the question. I don't care but the earlier the better is because when I do get ton the air in the morning I find my self waiting on RH

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 6, 2005
                                      And while we are on the subject, let me bring this idea up for future
                                      consideration. It was most frustrating trying to demo WSJT on Sunday
                                      morning of Field Day because of the lack of stations listening or calling.
                                      In addition, a lack of participation was noted in Bruce's RH report for
                                      Sat June 25 probably due to many of us setting up Field Day stations Sat
                                      morning.

                                      So my proposal is that in the future during the weekend of ARRL Field Day
                                      (4th weekend of June) that Random Hour be held on Sunday morning instead
                                      of Saturday morning. This will provide more opportunity for those who
                                      want to demo WSJT during Field Day and will also probably increase
                                      participation.

                                      BTW, I agree with everyone about making RH one hour earlier.

                                      73 de
                                      --
                                      Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                                      Bloomington, Indiana US