Re: [wsjtgroup] Random hour time

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
      GM Joe and company. One suggestion I had in past is to have
      overlapping, staggered times for the 4 time zones so the west coasters
      don't have to get up before dawn (even for 1400z start).
      Since we are not trying for dx records and it is unlikely the EST/EDT op
      will work PST/PDT or the reverse, we could consider an arrangement
      similar to the following matrix and could roll one hour for 6m :

      Time: 1300-1400z 1400-1500z 1500-1600z
      EST <EST> <<EST>>
      CST CST <CST>
      <MST> MST MST
      <<PST>> <PST> PST

      <xxx> Optional
      <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
      late comers.

      This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
      necessarily a bad thing- hi. I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
      during day light savings time period.

      My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
        Bruce --

        I was on for both Random Hours today. Activity seemed pretty low.

        144: worked KC0HLN, N5SIX; heard ??? calling WA5UFH

        50: worked N5SIX, N9EGT; heard W8TAH.

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT
      • Randy Tipton
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

          I am for moving RH up an hour. Bruce’s recommendation looks good also. I wonder if there is a workable way
          to combine all vhf bands during the same time frame or would it dilute the activity too much? If all bands played at the
          same time it would provide opportunities for moving a stations from one band to the other and also allow those with 222MHz to play…

          (I would recommend when moving stations to move to the “call frequency”. If I was working KE7NR on six meters I might send
          NR RRR 2M.  (just brainstorming…)

          I will go alone with whatever the group wants and can change the documentation whenever a consensus decision
          is reached.

          Tip

[...]

          To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        • Terry Hosack
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hi Everyone,

            I agree with moving random hour up 1 hour but think leaving seperate
            Random hours the way they are now would be better. As it is now I see
            some people making skeds during RH and such. To each his own...any
            suggestions to improve Random periods and increase activity would be
            welcomed!

            73's
            Terry
            WA3LTB
            EN92ta
            Lake CIty, Pa...
          • n6enu
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
              Joe Taylor wrote:

              > Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
              > wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
              > daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
              > both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

              I personally think the same local time during the year is best. Makes
              planning easier. That said, 6AM seems to be a bit early for most out
              West. If you notice the postings on PJ, activity out here seems to pick
              up after 7AM. Keep in mind that during the winter, it is still dark
              during RH here in the West.

              I hope that West Coasters chime in before a decision is made. I would
              love to see activity pick up out West and time of day may be a major factor.

              --
              John Milligan
              N6ENU
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                I think  RH  is great  If u want to start at 1100Z and run till 1700Z  i will be in there either for all or at least most of it. Got to shower some time in there but would be back to try catching more stations. I would even go for 1100Z -1400Z 2mtr  &  1400Z to 1700Z  6mtr  or 1100Z - 1700Z  work any band u can just have to send in report to have credit for QSO AWARDS.  i JUST LOVE TO HEAR DEM PINGS SO WILL LISTEN NO MATTER WHAT THE TIME LINE WILL BE.  AS LONG AS IT ISN'T 2IN THE MORNING!

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                  Someone official in the group needs to notify my employer, spouse, and
                  family that I have my priorities out of alignment. That I need to get on
                  RH more often. Just kidding.

                  Here lately every Saturday morning, I have been tied up one way or
                  another. An earlier time would come near working better for me also. And
                  the rocks would probably be better. Would not hurt my feelings to start
                  2 hours earlier.

                  73
                  Chuck
                  AF4O
                • Charles AF4O
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

                    Oh, and yes I think RH is great also. In any form/time I will try and be there. The pings are addicting !

[...]

                              CST        &nb! sp; CST         <CST>
                             <MST>         MST          MST
                            <<PST>>       <PST>         PST

                    <xxx>  Optional
                    <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
                    late comers.

                    This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
                    necessarily a bad thing- hi.  I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
                    during day light savings time period.

                    My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX

                    To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                    NAHSMS Contest Page ! http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm

                    To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                    Ham radio

                    Wsjt

                    Craft hobby

                    Hobby and craft supply

                  • Henry A Kilburg
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                      You have my vote to start one hour early.

                      W6TMS CN90

                      Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                      wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                      daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
                      both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

                      In favor of a change:
                      ---------------------
                      1. The best meteor conditions are earlier than our present RH times.
                      2. Having the 6m RH last until noon EDT wipes out Saturday morning, and
                      may prevent some from staying around for it.

                      Opposed to a change:
                      --------------------
                      1. Change may be confusing.
                      2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

                      What do others think?

                      -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                      To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • john flinn
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                        I vote for 1 hour earlier starting time.
                        John W9SE

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                          Hello All,

                          I would like to Have the Random Hour last for two
                          Hours From Say 14:00  to 16:00 for both 6 Meters
                          and 2 Meters overlap .That way we could switch
                          back and forth depending on the pings and activity

                          Tnx and 73

                          Ken K5DNL

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • Randy Tipton
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005

                            So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very positive for starting earlier.

                            For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok or do you wish to leave the starting  time at 14:00 and end an hour latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC appeared to be a slim majority out west.  East / West coast don’t have to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more consideration?

                            Tip

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005
                              Tip, from my viewpoint here in the MDT, and being to close or to far for
                              WSJT meteor scatter, the earlier the better! I would vote for say
                              1200 on 2 meters and above and 1300 for six meters. I try to set up the
                              computer to monitor most saturdays, and from "my" observations activity
                              seems to be down, for quite some time. Just not hearing the rocks here
                              like we used to. Mother Nature may be responsible. Years ago when I
                              was mountain topping most weekends, sunrise always brought the meteor
                              bursts in on SSB from the TX, NM (N5JHV) and AZ (N7CI) Big-guns to my SE
                              and the Big-Guns from OR, WA (WA7VHW) and MT (WA1JXN/W7GJ) to the NW.
                              The times they are a changing. A part of me was actually hoping NASA
                              would of blown up comet temple yesterday, accidentally of course, just
                              to of provided us with a new meteor shower! ;-) But in the end I feel
                              earlier the better. And how about Sunday mornings? Anything to get me
                              off my lazy you know what to listen and or make noise. For all the
                              money and tower time I have spent this gear seems to sit here doing
                              nothing most of the time.

                              Hummmm where have I heard that before.

                              Soap Box broken up and now burning in the fire pit.

                              73, Mark, Ku7z

                              Randy Tipton wrote:

                              > So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change
                              > to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official
                              > announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very
                              > positive for starting earlier.
                              >

                              > For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok
                              > or do you wish to leave the starting time at 14:00 and end an hour
                              > latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC
                              > appeared to be a slim majority out west. East / West coast don’t have
                              > to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more
                              > consideration?
                              >

                              > Tip

                              73!
                              Ku7z, Mark in DN41
                              "Amateur radio operators do it with frequency. Ham radio operators do it
                              till their GigaHertz."
                            • ww2r@mgef.org
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                In think moving it up an hour but keeping the length the same is a good idea

                                Dave

                                ww2r

                              • Olin Chamberlin
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                  Will the time change back with daylight savings time change?
                                  I'm for the move.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005

                                    To the best of my memory RH has always been UTC time and has not changed with ‘”daylight savings time”.

                                    I don’t know what the outcome of the current “Energy Bill” is but I thought Standard Time was being proposed to be
                                    only 2 months out of the year. (Basically going away) So it may not even be an issue.

                                    Tip

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                      Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                                      wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                                      daylight saving time.
                                      This is why I asked the question. I don't care but the earlier the better is because when I do get ton the air in the morning I find my self waiting on RH

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 6, 2005
                                        And while we are on the subject, let me bring this idea up for future
                                        consideration. It was most frustrating trying to demo WSJT on Sunday
                                        morning of Field Day because of the lack of stations listening or calling.
                                        In addition, a lack of participation was noted in Bruce's RH report for
                                        Sat June 25 probably due to many of us setting up Field Day stations Sat
                                        morning.

                                        So my proposal is that in the future during the weekend of ARRL Field Day
                                        (4th weekend of June) that Random Hour be held on Sunday morning instead
                                        of Saturday morning. This will provide more opportunity for those who
                                        want to demo WSJT during Field Day and will also probably increase
                                        participation.

                                        BTW, I agree with everyone about making RH one hour earlier.

                                        73 de
                                        --
                                        Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                                        Bloomington, Indiana US