RE: [wsjtgroup] Random hour time

  • John Zempel
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
      An hour earlier would be good. However, for now I'm QRT for MS because my
      sound card in the laptop I've been using is dysfunctional and it's built on
      the motherboard. Need to evaluate a fix or new laptop (ouch).

      73 de John, KG4OLG

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
        GM Joe and company. One suggestion I had in past is to have
        overlapping, staggered times for the 4 time zones so the west coasters
        don't have to get up before dawn (even for 1400z start).
        Since we are not trying for dx records and it is unlikely the EST/EDT op
        will work PST/PDT or the reverse, we could consider an arrangement
        similar to the following matrix and could roll one hour for 6m :

        Time: 1300-1400z 1400-1500z 1500-1600z
        EST <EST> <<EST>>
        CST CST <CST>
        <MST> MST MST
        <<PST>> <PST> PST

        <xxx> Optional
        <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
        late comers.

        This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
        necessarily a bad thing- hi. I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
        during day light savings time period.

        My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
          Bruce --

          I was on for both Random Hours today. Activity seemed pretty low.

          144: worked KC0HLN, N5SIX; heard ??? calling WA5UFH

          50: worked N5SIX, N9EGT; heard W8TAH.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        • Randy Tipton
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

            I am for moving RH up an hour. Bruce’s recommendation looks good also. I wonder if there is a workable way
            to combine all vhf bands during the same time frame or would it dilute the activity too much? If all bands played at the
            same time it would provide opportunities for moving a stations from one band to the other and also allow those with 222MHz to play…

            (I would recommend when moving stations to move to the “call frequency”. If I was working KE7NR on six meters I might send
            NR RRR 2M.  (just brainstorming…)

            I will go alone with whatever the group wants and can change the documentation whenever a consensus decision
            is reached.

            Tip

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
              Hi Everyone,

              I agree with moving random hour up 1 hour but think leaving seperate
              Random hours the way they are now would be better. As it is now I see
              some people making skeds during RH and such. To each his own...any
              suggestions to improve Random periods and increase activity would be
              welcomed!

              73's
              Terry
              WA3LTB
              EN92ta
              Lake CIty, Pa...
            • n6enu
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                Joe Taylor wrote:

                > Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                > wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                > daylight saving time. As I see it, the following might be arguments
                > both for and against a change. (Obviously, these are "east coast" views.)

                I personally think the same local time during the year is best. Makes
                planning easier. That said, 6AM seems to be a bit early for most out
                West. If you notice the postings on PJ, activity out here seems to pick
                up after 7AM. Keep in mind that during the winter, it is still dark
                during RH here in the West.

                I hope that West Coasters chime in before a decision is made. I would
                love to see activity pick up out West and time of day may be a major factor.

                --
                John Milligan
                N6ENU

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                    Someone official in the group needs to notify my employer, spouse, and
                    family that I have my priorities out of alignment. That I need to get on
                    RH more often. Just kidding.

                    Here lately every Saturday morning, I have been tied up one way or
                    another. An earlier time would come near working better for me also. And
                    the rocks would probably be better. Would not hurt my feelings to start
                    2 hours earlier.

                    73
                    Chuck
                    AF4O
                  • Charles AF4O
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005

                      Oh, and yes I think RH is great also. In any form/time I will try and be there. The pings are addicting !

[...]

                                CST        &nb! sp; CST         <CST>
                               <MST>         MST          MST
                              <<PST>>       <PST>         PST

                      <xxx>  Optional
                      <<xxx>> REAL optional for Lou and other 'dawn patrol' types or eastern
                      late comers.

                      This arrangement would potentially stretch RH but that is not
                      necessarily a bad thing- hi.  I'd even be open to adjusting back an hour
                      during day light savings time period.

                      My 2 cents worth - Bruce, N5SIX

                      To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                      NAHSMS Contest Page ! http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/Rally/NAHSMS.htm

                      To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                      Ham radio

                      Wsjt

                      Craft hobby

                      Hobby and craft supply

                    • Henry A Kilburg
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                        You have my vote to start one hour early.

                        W6TMS CN90

                        ---------------------

                        --------------------
                        1. Change may be confusing.
                        2. Would a 1300 UTC (0600 PDT) be too early for many west coasters?

                        What do others think?

                        -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • john flinn
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                          I vote for 1 hour earlier starting time.
                          John W9SE

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 2, 2005
                            Hello All,

                            I would like to Have the Random Hour last for two
                            Hours From Say 14:00  to 16:00 for both 6 Meters
                            and 2 Meters overlap .That way we could switch
                            back and forth depending on the pings and activity

                            Tnx and 73

                            Ken K5DNL

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                          • Randy Tipton
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005

                              So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very positive for starting earlier.

                              For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok or do you wish to leave the starting  time at 14:00 and end an hour latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC appeared to be a slim majority out west.  East / West coast don’t have to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more consideration?

                              Tip

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 4, 2005
                                Tip, from my viewpoint here in the MDT, and being to close or to far for
                                WSJT meteor scatter, the earlier the better! I would vote for say
                                1200 on 2 meters and above and 1300 for six meters. I try to set up the
                                computer to monitor most saturdays, and from "my" observations activity
                                seems to be down, for quite some time. Just not hearing the rocks here
                                like we used to. Mother Nature may be responsible. Years ago when I
                                was mountain topping most weekends, sunrise always brought the meteor
                                bursts in on SSB from the TX, NM (N5JHV) and AZ (N7CI) Big-guns to my SE
                                and the Big-Guns from OR, WA (WA7VHW) and MT (WA1JXN/W7GJ) to the NW.
                                The times they are a changing. A part of me was actually hoping NASA
                                would of blown up comet temple yesterday, accidentally of course, just
                                to of provided us with a new meteor shower! ;-) But in the end I feel
                                earlier the better. And how about Sunday mornings? Anything to get me
                                off my lazy you know what to listen and or make noise. For all the
                                money and tower time I have spent this gear seems to sit here doing
                                nothing most of the time.

                                Hummmm where have I heard that before.

                                Soap Box broken up and now burning in the fire pit.

                                73, Mark, Ku7z

                                Randy Tipton wrote:

                                > So that no one thinks this is a forgotten issue… RH time will be change
                                > to an hour earlier soon, probably starting on July 9th. An official
                                > announcement will be made prior to Saturday.… the results were very
                                > positive for starting earlier.
                                >

                                > For those out west, especially in the PST zone, is this arrangement ok
                                > or do you wish to leave the starting time at 14:00 and end an hour
                                > latter than the east coast? The decision to change the time to 13:00 UTC
                                > appeared to be a slim majority out west. East / West coast don’t have
                                > to start at the same time, in fact it probably needs some more
                                > consideration?
                                >

                                > Tip

                                73!
                                Ku7z, Mark in DN41
                                "Amateur radio operators do it with frequency. Ham radio operators do it
                                till their GigaHertz."
                              • ww2r@mgef.org
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                  In think moving it up an hour but keeping the length the same is a good idea

                                  Dave

                                  ww2r

                                • Olin Chamberlin
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                    Will the time change back with daylight savings time change?
                                    I'm for the move.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005

                                      To the best of my memory RH has always been UTC time and has not changed with ‘”daylight savings time”.

                                      I don’t know what the outcome of the current “Energy Bill” is but I thought Standard Time was being proposed to be
                                      only 2 months out of the year. (Basically going away) So it may not even be an issue.

                                      Tip

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 5, 2005
                                        Sitting here this morning, waiting for the 2m Random Hour to start, I am
                                        wondering whether others might prefer to move RH an hour earlier during
                                        daylight saving time.
                                        This is why I asked the question. I don't care but the earlier the better is because when I do get ton the air in the morning I find my self waiting on RH

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 6, 2005
                                          And while we are on the subject, let me bring this idea up for future
                                          consideration. It was most frustrating trying to demo WSJT on Sunday
                                          morning of Field Day because of the lack of stations listening or calling.
                                          In addition, a lack of participation was noted in Bruce's RH report for
                                          Sat June 25 probably due to many of us setting up Field Day stations Sat
                                          morning.

                                          So my proposal is that in the future during the weekend of ARRL Field Day
                                          (4th weekend of June) that Random Hour be held on Sunday morning instead
                                          of Saturday morning. This will provide more opportunity for those who
                                          want to demo WSJT during Field Day and will also probably increase
                                          participation.

                                          BTW, I agree with everyone about making RH one hour earlier.

                                          73 de
                                          --
                                          Bob Poortinga K9SQL
                                          Bloomington, Indiana US